Christopher Tin nominated for two Grammy Awards

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator
Civilization 4 musical artist Christopher Tin has been nominated for two Grammy awards by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences of the United States.

The two nomination's were for:

Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s) - for the song Baba Yetu (the opening song for Civ 4, for those playing at home)

Best Classical Crossover Album - for his debut album Calling All Dawns

For those who wish to hear some snippets from him album or purchase a copy can do so through his website

Congratulations Christopher on the nomination from the Civfanatics' team

Well done Christopher Tin! Deserved nominations. His work is credit both to the classical crossover genre and the Civilization series.

Great!

That's awesome since Baba Yetu is a great piece of music, but why now? Did he just release Calling All Dawns this year? Or are Grammys not annual?

Congrats Christopher Tin! From my own personal experience I can say Calling All Dawns is a great album.

I second the above- I listen to Calling All Dawns at least every two weeks, and I've had it for a year.

Definitely agree-Calling All Dawns is one of the most innovative albums of all time, & there aren't too many vocal works as memorable as Baba Yetu.

Aussie.

Good for Christopher Tin.

I remember when I first bought Civ4, I spent half an hour listening to Baba Yetu in the Opening Credits-before I would even start my first game ;)!

Aussie.

Kind of odd to get nominated for something that's been out for what, 5 years? Great song though.

I loved "Baba Yetu". And of course, Christopher Tin has composed other great music too. By the way, only the other day I read an article by a man who pointed out that most music critics still have a dismissive attitude to music devised for console and computer games. They are ignorant about what happens in that sphere and too fancy to do something about their ignorance. "They seem to think that nothing has happened since Mario in the '80s", he wrote. Of course, for a long time a similar attitude obtained towards film music. Now it is different, with John Williams and others being paid proper respect.

Kind of odd to get nominated for something that's been out for what, 5 years? Great song though.
Indeed, this is long overdue. Congratulations, Mr. Tin! :goodjob:

:(As long as idiots like the Black Eyed Peas and (F)Eminem get nominated as well, this news is of little value to me.

I heartily approve. :thumbsup:

I have listened only Baba Yetu, but I'm sure that other his songs are as good as these one :).

I see I'm not the only one who actually sat at the title screen just listening to this song. I don't think I've ever done that for any other game in my ~25 years of gaming.

I think Civ IV in general has one of the best soundtracks of any video game.

If only they got Tin to compose the Civ5 main menu theme. Then we might have gotten something memorable, not the mindless movie soundtrack we have now.

Top Bottom