Chronicles of Mankind

And also please change matchlock tech picture into real matchlock gun. we used civ3 flintlock picture so wrong. I think that's error.

2. But, I still think we need new troop to feel gap of unit tree. There are Exo-skeleton are selling for disables. we have perfect robotic arm-I saw Video a Woman who lost arm shoot bow with her robotic arm-, most importantly US do field testing Exo-suit troops. I know current project of Exo are just carry more ammo and heavy gun but not give super power. perhaps we need exo-suit troop unit?
I plan to slightly rework the Trans-Human Era but I'm really busy these days so it won't happen the the next few months, sorry.

3. Is there way to change look of Roman troop not like East Roman, but keep oringal? It's weird when you play game Greece keep theme of Roman army in even middle age but roman change theme. I don't ask update but can you teach me to how to edit?

4. I want see all minor city building in world map. I once heard that are code of line that make all minor building visible in world map. May I ask what is that code?
Try asking it here:
Quick Modding Questions Thread

And, thanks for answer for my previous questions. :)
You are welcome, but in the coming weeks/months I'll be away from modding, so don't expect anything from me for a while.

So here's a new patch that was almost finished 2 weeks ago but I had time to complete it only now.

Camels and Bisons
upload_2020-4-29_19-13-43.png

Patch1.0.6

This is a relatively small patch but I had a lot of work with it. It adds Camels and Bisons tto the game.

Spoiler :

General
=======

Updating to AND2 rev. 1088
Two new resources added: Bison and Camel

Units
=====

(NEW) Unit line based on Camels (similar to light cavalry unit line)
+25% vs mounted units
free Desert Combat I
free Arctic Combat I
flanking attack against Horse units

Camel Archer (Arabian UU)
replaces War Camel
strenght 9
also starts with Desert Combat II

Looking forward to the continued development, have a nice holiday.
Thanks. Actually I'm still around and still have A LOT of ideas... just not that much time than before :)

Just gotta say, as a relatively new modded player, the civics are great... but the starting civics are brutal.

First round, got a good start and tons of game from hunting. Go oligarch + city state with a immediately get -5 happiness from the tax penalty (that I can't change?), pops stop working the farms, and the city starves and crumbles. This is even with a settled great hunter, all the food and happiness building, positive health, etc.

So I reload the initial save... go autocracy, city state, despotism, etc, the rebels make demands during the revolution, I say no, city starves and crumbles. :) Autocracy is clearly the way though, as that what all the AI are using to get their settlers.

Not sure if I'm just missing the tax rate option, but that -5 happiness from oligarch seems like a stealthy early game death sentence. Perhaps it should be unlocked later in the game, when you can change the tax rate?

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm just missing the tax rate option, but that -5 happiness from oligarch seems like a stealthy early game death sentence. Perhaps it should be unlocked later in the game, when you can change the tax rate?

I too have ran into the early death from Oligarchy. In my opinion Oligarchy is only worth it if i have a religion which gives me :c5happy:, a world wonder which gives +x:c5happy: too all cities, an abundance of luxury resources and the civics: Republic (+2:c5happy: in Y largest cities), Senate(+2:c5happy: in Y largest cities), Citizenship(+:c5happy: in Y largest cities), Public Works(+:c5happy: in Y largest cities), Prosperity(+:c5happy: in Y largest cities) are really helpful. Y is an integer depending on your mapsize. You can counter the :c5unhappy: from Oligarchy with these civics if you limit the amount of your cities to be less than Y.

Yes, Oligarchy is a bad early choice. I ran into that once too and decided to move it to a different tech (probably Code of Laws) but forgot it.

This civic really should be moved, it's a death trap for newbies.

This civic really should be moved, it's a death trap for newbies.
Agreed.

I also want to set Anarchy blocking City-state, just for the sake of consistency.

Any other suggestions that should go into a hotfix?

I haven't been playing the mod for about a month now, so i don't have that many suggestions. I have some feedback from my last game. In that game i got to early industrialism (factories, coal, oil, all that stuff), and i sadly felt that the game became a bit boring. The whole world hade been explored and most of the land had been settled, there was me and 3 other big nations occupying the world with some vassals under us. Since very early in the game i had had a couple of wars with carthage. During those wars nothing major happened, our borders stayed pretty much the same. I were friendly with France and the native americans were too far away to pose a threat. At that time i felt that the game stagnated, nothing new was happening. So i quit the game, even thou i hadn't won.

To be frank, i don't believe the fault lies with this mod, i have sometimes had the same problem with the base game, the stagnation of late game. Im not sure exactly what could fix this problem. In my opinion to few options remain in the end game: 90% of the possible cities have been built, every civ has been discovered, most land is improved. the 4 x's in 4x stands for: eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate. In the late game only the eXterminate and to a minor degree eXploit features remain. The best part of civ is always the beginning. Perhaps this could be adjusted by introducing new game mechanics in the late game. Most major mechanics are introduced very early, the only major mechanic to be introduced late is nukes and flight, both which are warfare oriented. By introducing new mechanics in the early game that part of the game would feel more fresh and less stale.

Possible mechanics to introduce would be:
More late game resources (both strategic and luxury). Especially more strategic resources, perhaps every late game unit should require a strategic resource to be built? This would create more reasons to invade enemy lands, to gain that crucial aluminium you need for fighter planes, or that high grade iron needed to produce high grade ammunition, or that phosphor to produce explosives. One might also consider moving the reveal event of certain resources. Perhaps lead should be discovered in the renaissance. Instead of having 90% of the resources discovered with the first 10 techs, spread them out more. The late game would be more interesting if there still were things to discoverer. I know stuff like oil and uranium pop up late, but i think even more resources should be discovered late.

Pandemics (at a similar scale as the black death):
Pandemics could be handled in a similar way as religions. They can be founded by an event (a very very bad event), spread by units (use to infect enemy cities (biological warfare)), they should have a high automatic spread chance (spread from city A to city B without "missionaries"), when being present in a city for X number of turns they should disappear. Pandemics could alter the power structure of the world and make late game more random and less stagnant. Pandemics could completely destroy unprepared cities (perhaps the severeness of pandemics scales with the :yuck: of the city) opening up new land for conquest/expansion. Plague monks could be an earlier version of the nuke, a stealthed unit which spreads the plague.

Military production cost scaling:
In Realism Invictus each military unit belongs to a category (ranged support, charge cavalry, siege....). If your empire already has N amount of units of category A, then a new unit of category A would cost B + N*S_A; B is the base cost, S_A is a multiplier specific to that category, 0.1 <-->10% for example. This makes it exponentially more expensive to produce a large army, but a small army should be cheap. The benefit of this would be that in the late game civ would naturally have smaller armies, making them more manageable to control. In the early game controlling 30 units is no big deal, but in the late game when you might have 100+ units it can get tedious. To counter this each unit should be stronger. Let the early game be as is, but make the late game more about quality than quantity.

Skip the endgame:
Perhaps we shouldn't try to fix the end game, but instead try to end the game earlier, before the game stagnates. One could add more win conditions which enable medieval/renaissance era victories, thusly ending the game before the end game. If one would like to play the end game (industrial and onwards) one simply has to disable this conditions.

Qonquistador victory:
Settle 80% of the new world

Renaissance score victory:
Similar to the conditions where after a set number of turns the empire with the largest score wins. The difference being that this occurs at the end of the renaissance.

During the last months I have played a bit too much civ, so I'm currently taking a break. When i return i will try another game setup and see if i can make the end game enjoyable. Do anyone have suggestions for good game setups?

I have gotten this crazy idea that i should make my own 4x civ like game in python. I have read up on design philosophy, game mechanics and graphics, i started the coding 2-3 days ago.

Agreed.

I also want to set Anarchy blocking City-state, just for the sake of consistency.

I got the purple hills bug with 1088 + megapack, but this patch seems to fix it: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...new-dawn-2-only.474185/page-354#post-15713396

Some captured animal animations are messed up too... maybe my install is borked. Guess Ill try installing CoM from scratch.

Also, just wanna say that this modmodmodmod is amazing, as is everyone involved in the long development chain :)

EDIT:

You should enable aggressive AI and the top to bottom option! The fun part of civ is building up your empire from an unstable position, so switching to a struggling empire when you get to the top keeps the engagement going.

I'm new to Civ IV specifically, but a densly packed map + dynamic difficulty worked well so far. The lack of space keeps the AI antsy, and also makes strategic resources more valuable for the whole game, while dynamic difficulty and revolutions keep mega empires from proliferating.

GL on the 4X project. You might want to poke around github and other sources to take a peek at existing efforts... I've seen quite a few space 4X projects, but haven't really looked into historical games.

Last edited:
You should enable aggressive AI and the top to bottom option! The fun part of civ is building up your empire from an unstable position, so switching to a struggling empire when you get to the top keeps the engagement going.
I'll test the top-to-bottom option next time. Thanks for the advice.

Spoiler :

Civics
=====

Anarchy:
City-state is also forbidden

Oligarchy:
moved to Code of Laws

Republic:
moved to Philosophy

Direct:
moved to Ethics

Empire:
moved to Politics

Buildings
=======

Agora:
removed tech requirement (simply requires Republic civic)

Monarchy, Empire and Republic were too close, so I spread them out a bit better. Now you can even reach Republic without Monarchy.
I also moved Direct Democracy earlier to allow an "Athenian Democracy" civic combo: City-state --> build Acropolis to enable Democracy. Than pick Direct to have a very strong city-state.

Attachments

• Chronicles of Mankind patch 1.0.6.1 HOTFIX.rar
    113 KB · Views: 399
I haven't been playing the mod for about a month now, so i don't have that many suggestions. I have some feedback from my last game. In that game i got to early industrialism (factories, coal, oil, all that stuff), and i sadly felt that the game became a bit boring. The whole world hade been explored and most of the land had been settled, there was me and 3 other big nations occupying the world with some vassals under us. Since very early in the game i had had a couple of wars with carthage. During those wars nothing major happened, our borders stayed pretty much the same. I were friendly with France and the native americans were too far away to pose a threat. At that time i felt that the game stagnated, nothing new was happening. So i quit the game, even thou i hadn't won.

To be frank, i don't believe the fault lies with this mod, i have sometimes had the same problem with the base game, the stagnation of late game. Im not sure exactly what could fix this problem. In my opinion to few options remain in the end game: 90% of the possible cities have been built, every civ has been discovered, most land is improved. the 4 x's in 4x stands for: eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate. In the late game only the eXterminate and to a minor degree eXploit features remain. The best part of civ is always the beginning. Perhaps this could be adjusted by introducing new game mechanics in the late game. Most major mechanics are introduced very early, the only major mechanic to be introduced late is nukes and flight, both which are warfare oriented. By introducing new mechanics in the early game that part of the game would feel more fresh and less stale.
Yes, the late game... I think that all Civ4 mods or even all 4X games suffer from this same issue.

Victories:

With the Apostolic Palace you can win an early diplo victory. There is also Religious Victory that can be won earlier than the others.

You can also try setting goals and rules for yourself like Ipex:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/high-to-low-game-1-from-2nd-civ.622776/
or try some other role-playing rules, like:
Be a real gentleman and agree to all diplomatic suggestions from a female leader.
Be xenophobic and make no deals at all with civs from a different cultural group (like if you are with France, than you can deal with other European civs but not with China, Zulu, etc).

Late game mechanics:

I think revolutions work pretty well for this purpose: Once you control half the world your enemies are inside you borders. So deal with them wisely.

Corporations are an other late game mechanics. I plan (sometime in the not so near future) to expand this area by adding more corporations.

Resources: I plan to expand this area too. E.g. split Gems into Ruby, Diamond, Sapphire, Emerald. And add some others their categories, like Barley to grain, Melon to fruits, etc. On maps with more than one continent you will always have a reason to conquer the other continents as they have resources that yours don't. (Basically this is already this way but may not be so noticable.)

Pandemics: Pague-monks?? Seriously?? :lol: That sounds like a great concept for a gothic/steampunk game but not for a historical one.

But in general I agree that adding new mechanics for the later game would be good, so keep brainstorming :thumbsup:

Right now Nobel-prize is on my mind maybe we could do something with it...

An other idea I have for a long time is :evil: ALIENS! :evil: During the Modern era the game would spawn a powerful alien civ that is a match for the player.

I also think that maybe Golden Age and Anarchy lengths should scale with empire size: The larger your empire the the shorter are the Golden Ages and the longer are Anarchies.

Ohh... I'm really into ideas right now, so here comes 3 quick ideas that could give the later game a little more colour:

Nobel-prize (Project)
Allows every player 3 new buildings:

1) Nobel Peace Prize

• can be built only by Great Diplomat
  • +1 :) in all cities
  • 1 free magistrate in city
2) Nobel Prize in Physics
  • can be built only by Great Scientist
  • +1 free tech
  • 1 free scientist in city
3) Nobel Prize in Literature
  • can be built only by Great Artist
  • some kind of culture boost
  • 1 free artist in city

Modern Olympics (World Wonder) and World Expo (World Wonder) would be two new wonders from the Industrial era onward. I am not settled with the exact effects but the general idea is this:
  • build the wonder
  • it stays for 10 turns in the city
  • than is removed by an event and replaced by Past World Event (building)
  • also can choose some one-time bonus (similarly as with Gathering)
  • the wonder can be built again by ANYONE
  • a city with Past World Event cannot build the Modern Olimpics or World Expo - so you cannot rebuild it in your top-production city again-and-again, thus giving a chance to other civs too

What do you think?

I´m curious how you could spawn an Alien Civilization in the late game which is a match for the player. Where could it settle if most of the land mass is already settled? The ocean would be maybe the best place...

If you add Modern Olympics then you should also not forget to obsolete the already existing WW Olympic Games some time before...

I was wondering if it would be possible to add the information to the Sevopedia which Captured Animals can also be settled down to create a new resource. I can find the info so far only in the xml and it would be a useful info especially for new players.

I also noticed some strange behavior after starting a new game with the latest hotfix. I was asked several times if i would like to declare war on the barbarians when i attacked a barbarian animal (Stallion, Boar and Stag so far) :dubious:. When i clicked No my hunter moved to the same tile as the animal. I checked the Event Log and didn´t see that the barbarians made peace with me. The next turn i could attack the animal without any questions...
I play with the MegaPack and the new Compatibility patch enabled. There were also no settled barbarian cities yet when i got the questions.
Any clue why it happened and how to fix it?

I´m curious how you could spawn an Alien Civilization in the late game which is a match for the player. Where could it settle if most of the land mass is already settled? The ocean would be maybe the best place...
It can make place for itself given the right circumstances. What do you think a Dreadnought Armor could do in the middle of the Modern era? :mischief:
Aliens could have their own UUs too that could be stronger than regular terran ones. Just drop in a Mothership and a couple of Tripods and empires will fall :mwaha:
My greater concern is the code that can spawn a specific civ at a specific point of the game and not before :rolleyes:
If you add Modern Olympics then you should also not forget to obsolete the already existing WW Olympic Games some time before...
Yeah. I think Chivalry in the late Medieval Era would work well for that.
I was wondering if it would be possible to add the information to the Sevopedia which Captured Animals can also be settled down to create a new resource. I can find the info so far only in the xml and it would be a useful info especially for new players.
It is possible but I never thought it was necessary since it is so straightforward: Ram --> Sheep, Bull --> Cow, Elephant --> Ivory, etc.
I also noticed some strange behavior after starting a new game with the latest hotfix. I was asked several times if i would like to declare war on the barbarians when i attacked a barbarian animal (Stallion, Boar and Stag so far) :dubious:. When i clicked No my hunter moved to the same tile as the animal. I checked the Event Log and didn´t see that the barbarians made peace with me. The next turn i could attack the animal without any questions...
Never seen something like that and have no idea how it could be related to the hotfix. Makes no sense :dunno:
Does it happen every time you load the game or only on start?

Also:
I am really considering cutting Pastoral and Maritime civics and merging them into Agrarian. Pen and Boatyard would be moved to Agrarian and only 1 of the 3 civic buildings could be built in each city, so you have to specialize. Maybe a better name is also needed for the civic... Or not... Not sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom