1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Cities in Development (Obsolete)

Cities in Development (Obsolete)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TranquilSilence

TranquilSilence Grumpy Snufkin

Yeah, I have yet to actually purchase a slave worker in any of my games thus far - preferring to use the shackles to rush early archers or spam scouts to try and find fertile lands. If balance is a concern, perhaps leave the current slave ability to build 'Slave Plantations' unlocked later in the game - so that they merely serve as worse, purchasable workers until some later tech.

EDIT; Mention of PiT? :eek: Realy looking forward to see how that and Society Divided end up affecting the game.

2. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

3. TranquilSilence

TranquilSilence Grumpy Snufkin

Isn't that already the point of slaves - if not then I can certainly support limiting the purchasing of Slave Workers to Shackles only.

4. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Slaves are better than Peasants, worse than Workers - at least, as far as work rate goes (75%/100%/150% IIRC).

On the other hand, Slaves can't build roads/railroads/repair, I think.

5. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

One less reason to get them then. They don't offer the increased work rate soon enough, by mid-game majority of lands one has will be already improved by Peasants. Plus, Workers are just around the corner by the time Slaves are unlocked by default.

6. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

The idea is that, because Slave Workers move instantly after purchase and can build Slave Plantations, you purchase them in Colonies, where you cannot purchase Workers and it is cumbersome to get them there. That is, largely, the role of Slave Workers in this mod - to represent colonial slave labour.

7. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Solitary tear for forgotten ancient slaves. ;_:

8. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

9. Reedstilt

Reedstilt Prince

I haven't had a chance to play with Slaves yet, but can you really acquire them without expending Shackles? It really seems like that should be the only way to get them, either by acquiring Shackles through your own slave raids or by purchasing them from others. Maybe Imperialism could let you purchase them with Gold, but before that, you have to expend your Shackles.

10. sss64sss

sss64sss Warlord

I hadn't gotten a chance to play civ for a while (semester's nearing it's end), and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm still getting that weird interface bug from a while back. Did the logs not mention what was causing it? I have the most recent versions of the mods. I really hate to bother about it, but I'm still not sure why it's happening.

(Also apologies for not getting you more events in the CulDiv thread. That keeps slipping my mind)

11. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Hm. Refresh my memory.

12. OrderofOlav

OrderofOlav King of Procrastination

Uhm, related to the sanitation/water building discussion, I always felt sewers were kind of a big deal, and it would work nicely with health and plague. In my opinion they played a big and universal role in human development and were a real show of grandeur for empires overall, even in secluded America they were developed with no contact to the old world. I think it is a little weird Firaxis did not include them.

Now I don't know if others share the same experience but I do have a hard time keeping my cities healthy for long periods of time, and having to switch trade routes to other cities to prevent plague can be annoying when the others barely make money. Since CP adds those food stealing events I felt population count raised its value to me even more.

I feel a sewer early game building would be pretty nice, no requirements but with just a really high maintenance (maybe scaling per era? probably thinking to much about it now). That way these will mostly just end up in your biggest cities in the pre-modern age just as IRL, which allows you to keep your traderoutes in the most rewarding cities. You can sell them when things get economically rough (medieval kind of rough!) and place them in all your cities in later eras when your income is ridiculous.
    Also it would be nice as an early alternative to draining when you are stuck in swampland, and I reckon won't conflict with Tomatekh's Harappa that replaces the aquaduct, it could just be called the sewer system/sanitary sewer.

Regarding the purpose of slaves, I myself did actually end up buying them mostly in colonies! But slave plantations are pretty old (latafundia), and so are colonies, so early game slaves could still have the same purpose right?
    Maybe getting too into it now but if peasant need to stay prominent for the player give them a 'corvée' or 'serfdom' upgrade that lets you expend them on 1 tile for an increased tile yield for x turns. Would be a nice alternative to having them on standby. Or you could just like, restrict slave purchase to only colonies :p

13. sss64sss

sss64sss Warlord

I can't take screenshots with my laptop, but essentially all of the actions units can do (like move, attack, delete unit, found city, construct improvement, the promotions, etc) are all bugged. They work, but the icons are bigger than the frame around them. They're overlapping to the outside of the icon themselves, while the frame is the same size.

If I remember, it was caused by CiD (though the last times I experienced the bug, I also had RtP enabled.) The actions all work, it just looks awkward, and a bit distracting. Like I said, I'm not using EUI, so I'm not quite sure what's causing it.

I used to think a while back that deleting the file ExCE required in the DLC_01 file was causing it, but you mentioned it didn't replace anything in the folder when I asked about it.

Like I said, I'm sorry to bug about this, and I really appreciate your help with it.

14. Skaz881

Skaz881 History Major

I do have trouble in the early game, one of the reasons I suggested baths giving a small boost to health.

15. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

16. Kaito

Kaito Chieftain

Is there a version of this mod and Rise to Power that I can download that works with the latest CBP? As the beta version of CBP is constantly crashing my game.

17. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

18. OrderofOlav

OrderofOlav King of Procrastination

But you should have trouble early game right? Otherwise it barely plays a factor! I suggested high maintenaince sewers because I mainly have a problem with low revenue because of relocating traderoutes to worse cities to prevent plague, and swamps (unless you manage to get the swamp pantheon, which is awesome when going Dutch!). Since CP adds events that can sap food output in cities for pretty long periods of time I have had some trouble with big cities starving because I need dat traderoute :c5gold:bling:c5gold: which add plagues on top of it, and I wouldn't mind sacrificing extra gold to save my babies.

19. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Jan has graciously agreed to invest in an icon for the Cistern, and I expect to add this building in the next update. This'll become a non-river counterpart to the Aqueduct - albeit less powerful.

Tomatekh should let me know if he wants me to automatically support the Harappan sewers - or whether they should be a unique Aqueduct buildable in non-river cities.

20. Kesler

Kesler Master Kekkler

There's a mod that adds a cistern and marina. Check there for art permissions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.