Cities no longer spread irrigation?

Afterburner

Warlord
In regular Civ4, cities spread irrigation once you get the tech (Civil Service) that lets farms spread irrigation.

In my first game of FFH2 to make it all the way to the endgame, I played Grigori. I started with v0.40, Patch "m", and switched to Patch "n" midway through the game.

As you can see from the screenshot below, cities spread irrigation once you research the proper tech (Construction):

Note that there are no other farms around the circled farm, nor are there any other sources of freshwater. The freshwater comes from the city.

Now I'm playing under Patch "o". I started a new game as the Amurites. This time, I can't use cities to spread irrigation:

Note that my workers are on Forest/Grassland. Note that they're standing next to the city. Note that they are not given the option to make a farm. I have researched Construction, which should give me the ability to let farms (and cities) spread irrigation. I have also researched Mining, which would let me chop down the forest (as you can see by the fact that I could build a cottage if I wanted to).

So is this a bug? A feature? Or have I just missed some small nuance in the game thus far, and this is perfectly normal behavior?

Attachments

• civ4farm.jpg
    civ4farm.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 874
  • civ4nofarm.jpg
    civ4nofarm.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 820
In all versions of civ4 and FfH, only FLATLAND cities can spread irrigation. Your Cevedes appears to be on a hill.

In all versions of civ4 and FfH, only FLATLAND cities can spread irrigation. Your Cevedes appears to be on a hill.

Ah-hah! You are correct. That's not an issue I'd encountered yet, so it was new to me.

Thanks.

Guess I'm still used to Civ3, where cities spread irrigation even when they're on a hill. (And oh, for the lost ability from Civ1 and Civ2 to actually irrigate your hills directly!)

Now I need to figure out if I want to bother learning how to mod the game just so I can add the ability for cities to spread irrigation even if they're on a hill.

It makes sense but can be a hell to get food in some of your cities. And windmills can't always do your job for you.

Yes,I agree. However, it makes sense not to be able to get all the food you need in all you cities :lol:

Yeah if only there was a mechanic to trade food from high food growing cities to low food cities (like in real life).

Yeah if only there was a mechanic to trade food from high food growing cities to low food cities (like in real life).

Well, that's problem with base Civ, of course, not an FfH problem. So we'll have to wait for Civ 5 and see if they come up with some mechanism for that.

it's the game vs realism conundrum and I like it as a game. I think if it were realistic for Civ IV food would move according to age == ancient food is local, medieval food goes to the capital, industrial food goes to cities producing hammers, and modern food goes to cities producing commerce.

Well, that's problem with base Civ, of course, not an FfH problem. So we'll have to wait for Civ 5 and see if they come up with some mechanism for that.
Or go back to civ2, where you could do this with caravans... >.>

Seriously, why did caravans get dropped? (They existed in one form or another in civ1-2 and AC. Not sure about civ3, It looked so... ugly.)

@RogueThunder:

I started with Civ 3, didn't play earlier versions. No caravans in Civ 3, that I can tell you.

I think they could probably come up with a food-trading mechanism that wouldn't involve much micromanagement. Have it work something like trade routes, developing on their own, with the player being able to influence it through the choice of civics and buildings. Maybe could couple that with some kind of a slider allowing you to decide how much food to trade. I don't know.

You could also do it in Masters of Orion II (Civ in Space; awesome game). Of course, it cause a lot of money, which made focused food worlds expensive (if efficient).

Here's a bigger question.

Why can the city in the first picture spread irrigation diagonally, but in the second picture, it doesn't spread diagonally from the river.

Logically, that tile should be able to have a far, regardless of the city, because the river actually enters that tile slightly.

Well, tiles that contain the beginning of a river do not count as river tiles, unfortunatelly...I had been fooled a couple of times in thinking these locations as river tiles when building a city...

Top Bottom