City Graphics: Single era, Native north american cities pack

RedAlert

Love one another
This is my collection of single era cities representing 5 cultural groups of native North America. They are: Eastern woodlands, Mississippi, Great plains, Pacific Northwest, and Inuit. I may also do Pueblo cities, but those would come later. But if you need pueblo cities, check out Legendary's ones. Anyway, enjoy! :goodjob:

Find the preview in post #8

Update: A new version of the Mississippian cities can be found in post #10.

Attachments

• Mississippian cities by RedAlert.zip
    18.8 KB · Views: 489
  • Eastern woodlands cities by RedAlert.zip
    19.1 KB · Views: 452
  • Pacific northwest cities by RedAlert.zip
    18.2 KB · Views: 447
  • Great plains cities by RedAlert.zip
    19 KB · Views: 495
  • Inuit cities by RedAlert.zip
    14.1 KB · Views: 439
Would you like a little advice for your pack ?

Rename your files to rROMAN, rAmer, ASIANWALL,... in a directory called native_amer_pack. And add a txt file explaining what is what :
mediterranean -> pacific
asian -> inuit

When creating a 100% northen american game, in the editor users just say inuits are "asian". And when they want to play it, they just copy and past the files of native_amer_pack to the cities directory... after making a backup of course ;) So, they get the good graphics and it just takes a fe seconds.

This is what I do. That way, it's very easy to use the packs ! :)

Haven't tested in the game yet but the previews look very nice.

Thanks!
Wondeful work yet again!

MaisseArsouye said:
Would you like a little advice for your pack ?

Rename your files to rROMAN, rAmer, ASIANWALL,... in a directory called native_amer_pack. And add a txt file explaining what is what :
mediterranean -> pacific
asian -> inuit

When creating a 100% northen american game, in the editor users just say inuits are "asian". And when they want to play it, they just copy and past the files of native_amer_pack to the cities directory... after making a backup of course ;) So, they get the good graphics and it just takes a fe seconds.

This is what I do. That way, it's very easy to use the packs ! :)

That is a good idea, MaisseArsouye, but unfortunately that only works for people who will use all my graphics for a 100% northern american game or something similar, and would make things easier for them. But for others, such as those who only want to use one / some of the graphics, that idea does not make it easier for them. Besides, I wanted to keep the files seperate so it's quicker to download, and so if you don't want a certain city, you don't have to have it. That's my thinking anyway. But thank you for the idea ;) :goodjob:

But if anyone doesn't know how / what to do with these, please feel free to pm me and I'll sort it out that way.

I agree with RedAlert - though I understand how MaisseArsouye's suggestion would work well for some people, I'm keeping these graphics in a separate folder, and having them labelled as they are means I know which is which without having to open the files, even though I'll need to change the name of the files when they go into a mod.

Update!
Upon examining them in the editor, I found a few problems with the cities. But they are fixed now, and the new downloads can be found in the first post. Anyone who has downloaded them previously may want to replace those files with these new ones -- sorry about that.

If anyone finds any additional problems please let me know, but I'm sure they're ok now :)

Also, due to the five file upload max thingy, I was forced to move the preview down here. The cities in order from top to bottom are:

1) Mississippian
2) Eastern woodlands
3) Pacific northwest
4) Great plains
5) Inuit

Attachments

• native american all pre.PNG
    native american all pre.PNG
    80 KB · Views: 1,515
What can I say?

Great stuff...

Update 2

I've redone the Mississippian cities. The new version can be found below:

Attachments

• Mississippian cities2 by RedAlert.zip
    20.9 KB · Views: 139
Preview of the new Mississippian cities:

Attachments

• mississippi2 pre.PNG
    mississippi2 pre.PNG
    19.2 KB · Views: 942
RedAlert,

Now HERE is an example of a talented graphics artist's rendition of Mississippian temple mounds. :eek: :goodjob: Jeez, I should have asked you to send me your model and I could have just ripped off your beautiful work! :D Hard work and persistence can overcome a lot of things, but it still can't hide a total lack of talent! :(

This is an absolutely beautiful job, and my Mississippian Civ now has its cities.

BTW, if you don't mind, I may try and play with this and see if I can make a better temple mound that will have the correct perspective and will be much more consistent with "real" Civ III buildings.

EDIT: RA, I downloaded your city graphics and did a little cuttin' and pastin' ... and oh boy do I see potential! Do you work from larger models and then reduce them down? If so, if you posted those models for me, I wouldn't mind doing the grunt work to see if I could put together an acceptable temple mound.

If you'd rather not do it, however, I understand. It is just that working with your beautiful stuff is a whole lot more enjoyable and rewarding than trying to find random, crappy pictures on the internet and working from them. Those temple mounds look absolutely gorgeous in your cities, but they would also look great as building graphics!

HooDoo, first of all I'd like to say you're welcome ;)

And secondly, I'd like to say: thank you! :D

Now to answer some of your questions:
Of course I don't mind if you 'rip off' my graphics. I'm just happy to know you think they are that good that you would use them in your own graphics. (btw, I've seen your buildings, and in my opinion, if there is anyone with a total lack of talent, it is not you :) ).
Also, yes, in many cases I use larger models which I resize. This was not one of these cases, however, I could easily make a larger / some larger ones for you, no problem.
And just in case you're interested in the future, I have tons of building models I've saved in the course of making my cities, so if you ever need anything, If you want, I'll see if I may have what you are looking for.

RedAlert,

:worship: First, let me say that you are a prince among men! :worship:

Second, I would have responded earlier, but when I saw your gracious offer to share your models, I started drooling so uncontrollably that I shorted out my keyboard and had to dig out an old one before I could respond! :drool:

Third, if I could get my hands on the two temple mounds I have circled in RED (in your honor), I would be so happy, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. [dance] [dance] [dance]

Fourth, if you have any larger versions of anything you used to compile your Meso American or Native American cities, I'll take anything you would be gracious enough to send me, including totems, huts, longhouses, etc.

Fifth, I am a neophite when it comes to graphics programs. I am using Microsoft Photo Editor and Microsoft Paint simply because they came with my software. I have been wanting to purchase new graphics software, but I really don't know what I need in order to make buildings graphics and resource graphics. What would you suggest? I don't mind spending $100-$500 or so for a good graphics program, if that's what it takes.

Finally, thanks again so much for your generous offer. I'm going to go back through the various graphics in your sig and do some early Christmas window shopping!

Attachments

• Wish List 1.jpg
    Wish List 1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 890
Well, thank you for the praise, HooDoo (I'm sorry to hear about your keyboard ;) :lol: ).

I'll try and get some buildings up for you tomorrow, since you're so excited.

As for a good graphics program, I use Paint Shop Pro 9. If you want, you can find a 60 day free trial version here. If you do try it, you'll find it's leaps and bounds ahead of microsoft paint, if a bit more complicated (It has more features than I think I'll ever be able to use :crazyeye: ).

Those cities are quite good. Hoodoo is correct on that, but then again all of your work is quite good. I tried your American Cities in game by the way(As part of the ACM mod), they are quite good, much more realistic that using the Medival era European graphics(Which I replaced with your American ones), I left the Euro-Ancient, Industrial and Modern Alone however. It works for me.

RedAlert, you should make a whole package where you provide your beautiful buildings individually, that way cut-n-pasters like me would just paste and tint.
@HooDoo, you should get Wally. It's free and has some cool effects. While PsP is alright, it's not going to last forever. Wally is a free DOOM and Quake texture-maker, but can read almost any type of image. I reccomend it. I'll put a link to it if I can find it again, :hmm:

:bump:

RedAlert,

I'm trying out PSP 9.1 -- you are right, it is much more complicated than paint, and I am still trying to learn my way around the program. Thanks for your recommendation.

I know you have about 20 things going on at once, but I wanted to offer a gentle reminder regarding some of your models that you said you would gather up and post for me. Since I now have PSP, I'm looking forward to experimenting with your models and whatever else I can find to practice on.

Thanks again for your willingness to let me and others "borrow" from your hard work!

Top Bottom