City must be Size 6......

MacCoise

Prince
Just wanted to ask why some buildings require a city of size 6.

It seems an arbitrary barrier. Things like the Sjhipwright for example. If I concentrate on getting resources for Sails etc and if I can otherwise produce it then why shoukldnt i be able to? Maybe it wouldnt be wise to but I think that should be a choice.......

Secondly I am enjoying a great game but once my cities hit pop 6 some of them have suddenly had major health and crime problems and have collapsed in population. Agin it seems a sudden arbitray mark..

Just my thoughts.....

Just wanted to ask why some buildings require a city of size 6.

It seems an arbitrary barrier. Things like the Sjhipwright for example. If I concentrate on getting resources for Sails etc and if I can otherwise produce it then why shoukldnt i be able to? Maybe it wouldnt be wise to but I think that should be a choice.......

You are correct. However it's unlikely to change, soo...:dunno:

Secondly I am enjoying a great game but once my cities hit pop 6 some of them have suddenly had major health and crime problems and have collapsed in population. Agin it seems a sudden arbitray mark..

Pests kick in (arbitrarily if you want to put it that way) I think starting at size 6. Imo it works reasonably well.

Crime and disease as far as I'm aware will have been building up since settling - so it's just a coincidence that they started troubling you at that size. Then again, it may be designed that way, in that a size 6 city will find them heaps easier to deal with than if it was size 1.

The pests, dsisease and crime are part of the game and I can live with that. Is there any way I could turn off the "requires city of size 6" for buildings?

It seems an arbitrary barrier.

Maybe it is, but then again, having that limitation means that once you do get that pop to 6, you finally have access to some new goodies. Generally speaking I'm fine if some things are more "gamey" than realistic if it provides you with some gameplay goals, and as such I never found these size limitations to be a bother at all.

Is there any way I could turn off the "requires city of size 6" for buildings?

I suppose you could edit the building XML, which is pretty easy. You would have to do every building individually though... and of course this is not a supported modmod disclaimer blah blah and you didn't hear it from me :D

Is there any way I could turn off the "requires city of size 6" for buildings?
I have been asking for this since it was introduced.
I suppose you could edit the building XML, which is pretty easy. You would have to do every building individually though... and of course this is not a supported modmod disclaimer blah blah and you didn't hear it from me :D
All 3000+ of them.

It seems an arbitrary barrier.

It was applied to buildings after seeing a similar thing done in Sim City 4. In that game you could not unlock special buildings until you reached different population levels. Since you cannot have exact population levels as a requirement for buildings in Civ4 having city sizes is the next best thing and for all intensive purposes is the same thing.

Like most things in the mod there are set goals to reach in a city that then unlocks more buildings. This actually helps keep the number of buildings you have access at any given time less than if everything was unlocked at once. Thus helping balance the game.

Likewise it also help keep players from getting to overwhelmed by the amount of building to choose from in a new city. However there are still a TON so its all relative. Note we also have city vicinity, tech, resource, region, building, etc limitations too to help reduce the amount of choices at founding a city.

Note that staggering the pests at different sizes also keeps the city from being bombarded with like 20 pests all at once. If you neglect your city then it will get bombarded once it reaches those sizes but if you plan ahead then you can keep your city happy and healthy enough to negate the effects of the pests.

I have been asking for this since it was introduced.

All 3000+ of them.

In Notepad++

Do a search and replace and change:

<iPrereqPopulation>6</iPrereqPopulation>

With what ever value you want.

If it is just the Civ4BuildingInfos.xml file there are 99 entries (for 6 size). They are all updated with one key press.

There are also:

108 entries for size 13.
7 for size 25.
15 for size 0.

Total 229.

If it is more than one file - it is still only one change for each different set of entries in each file.

Note that staggering the pests at different sizes also keeps the city from being bombarded with like 20 pests all at once. If you neglect your city then it will get bombarded once it reaches those sizes but if you plan ahead then you can keep your city happy and healthy enough to negate the effects of the pests.

I still think we should have the option to counter most (if not all) pests at some time. Like we have Cats dealing with the Rats problem. There could be pesticides, or Falconer, Pest controller.... Not beeing able to deal with pests is terribly frustrating.

All 3000+ of them.

Sheesh... closer to 1000. But you only care about the handful that are in your build list at any given time, and that you have the other prereqs for. Under a hundred for sure:p.

I still think we should have the option to counter most (if not all) pests at some time. Like we have Cats dealing with the Rats problem. There could be pesticides, or Falconer, Pest controller.... Not beeing able to deal with pests is terribly frustrating.

Well we have brought this up before. If say cats, dogs, traps, poison, etc counter the Rats then you by default need to make rats give a bigger effect otherwise you will go beyond canceling them out and then instead give a positive bonus where there should be none. The alternative is just having the buildings replace the pests such as having Cats or Dogs, etc just replace the Pest building. But then that's not every realistic either since even today with all the things we use to keep pests away they still seem to be there. Thus the term "pests".

Sheesh... closer to 1000. But you only care about the handful that are in your build list at any given time, and that you have the other prereqs for. Under a hundred for sure:p.

3006 last time I counted. But then I counted all the auto build and effect buildings when I did the count.

edit a recount comes up with 3942 buildings!

edit 2 OK I am getting some duplicates in there so it is probably closer to 2500.

It makes sense for village/town/city hall etc. but not for normal buildings. The shipwright is my big one! I like to build a specilaised naval town and normally am reday to start pumping out galleys when it hits size 3 or 4 but hvae to wait until size 6 not just for the shipwright but as for the sails (and the weaver i think)

I have no problem with pests- adds a great challenge . Maybe its just coincidence but I found that the combination of pests causing unhappiness and diseases kicking in at 6 made it very difficult but like I said that's not major complaint.

Overall, I am enjoying a great game on eternity. giant, prince. In the Ancient era and double anybody's else's score but they seem tio be catching up. Learning a lot and what a mod!

It makes sense for village/town/city hall etc. but not for normal buildings. The shipwright is my big one! I like to build a specialized naval town and normally am ready to start pumping out galleys when it hits size 3 or 4 but have to wait until size 6 not just for the shipwright but as for the sails (and the weaver i think)

I have no problem with pests- adds a great challenge . Maybe its just coincidence but I found that the combination of pests causing unhappiness and diseases kicking in at 6 made it very difficult but like I said that's not major complaint.

Overall, I am enjoying a great game on eternity. giant, prince. In the Ancient era and double anybody's else's score but they seem to be catching up. Learning a lot and what a mod!

Wait till the next version comes out, there is a NEW Handicap system that is called "Nightmare Mode." Then try that on prince and see if you are ahead or not??:eek:

Wait till the next version comes out, there is a NEW Handicap system that is called "Nightmare Mode." Then try that on prince and see if you are ahead or not??:eek:

I play on the SVN and have seen that option but never tried it. I presumed it was an extra level above deity? I dont think I have ever even won a full game (BTS) on Prince!

I play on the SVN and have seen that option but never tried it. I presumed it was an extra level above deity? I dont think I have ever even won a full game (BTS) on Prince!

Well actually, it is completely different, each level is 2:trophy2nd: UP on EACH and every level. So OLD Noble is now Monarch, and Prince is now Emperor, etc etc :p:help:

People were complaining that Deity was too easy, now lets see???

Top Bottom