City Name Maps

So, if we are at this, any other river changes needed in the german-french area?

Actually, there is: the side-river left of the Oder (red) on the map doesn't exist, or only as artificial Canal (Oder-Havel-Kanal). It should be deleted.
flüsse.jpg
Also, maybe the Ems could be replaced by the Weser, which is the bigger river (blue line, very imprecise).

To the German map:
Spoiler :

- About the Hamburg thing: Sounds fine to me, only that Cuxhaven shouldn't be on the map (it became a City in the early 20th Century), and instead of Aurich there should be Emden (considered the main city of east-frisia).
- Mannheim was a village in the middle ages, with (700 people in 1500), you should put Heidelberg in there
- Baden-Baden was simply called Baden till 1930, also since Speyer was the more important City in the region (it was de-facto Capital in the 11th Century), it should get some of the Baden-Spots, I think
I will propably find some more stuff, but just that for now :D

Actually, there is: the side-river left of the Oder (red) on the map doesn't exist, or only as artificial Canal (Oder-Havel-Kanal). It should be deleted.
View attachment 294819
Also, maybe the Ems could be replaced by the Weser, which is the bigger river (blue line, very imprecise).

Oh yes, probably that was it :)
(my guess is that the side river of the Oder was there so Berlin got a river tile on the old city name map? :crazyeye:)

To be used as a reference point, here are the list of changes that will be made to the next map with city name map in the areas of France and Germany. By the time the map is actually changed, everybody will be in agreement with what is on this post.

NOTE: These changes are from "Edited Expanded French" and "Edited Expanded German" in post #29.

France
- Upper left "Rennes" tile next to Brest will be renamed "Brest"
- Lower right "Brest" tile will be renamed "Lorient"
- "Nantes" tile on the dense forest will be renamed "Rennes"
- "Avranches" on the dense forest hill will become "Alencon"
- "Chartres" on the horse resource will become "Vendome"
- "Paris" tile NE of the French spawn will become "Saint-Quentin"
- "Reims" tile on the hill will become "Cambrai"
- "Mons" will become "Valenciennes"
- "Charleroi" on the sulfur hill will become "Mons"
- "Ypres" will become "Gand" (Ghent)
- "Rouen" tile under "Le Havre" will become "Le Havre"
- "Tarbes" on the dense forest will become "Lourdes"
- "Toulouse" on the dense forest will become "Foix"
- "Valence" on the flat grass will become "Viennes"
- "the easternmost "Marseilles" tile will become "Toulon"

Changes to Terrain

- Garonne river will now start at Toulouse.

Germany
- "Kaiserslautern" will become "Saarbrucken"
- "Mannheim" will become "Heidelberg"
- "Essen" will become "Dusseldorf"
- "Hamburg" will replace "Bremen" on one tile at mouth of the Elbe. (coast)
- "Cuxhaven" will become "Schleswig"
- "Aurich will become "Emden"
- "Baden-Baden" under "Mainz" will become "Speyer"
- All other instances of "Baden-Baden" will be renamed "Baden"

Changes to Terrain
- Oder-Havel-Kanal removed
- Ems river removed
- Weser river added

:goodjob:
Don't forget the Garonne river changes suggested by Voyelles

:goodjob:
Don't forget the Garonne river changes suggested by Voyelles

Edited.

This one has been mentionned before, but I'll mention it again : the Garonne river is bad, it should at the very minimum extend one tile east then south instead of the current 1S,1E.

By 1S, 1E, you refer to the very end of the river, correct? Yes, I agree this should be changed. The Garonne actually goes through Toulouse, doesn't it? What about instead of 1E, 1S, we make it 2E, 1S to where the Ariege river begins or 2E, 2S, to where the Garonne ends at the base of the Pyrenees? Either way it will go by Toulouse. :)

Finally! This always bugged me, especially since I live in Bordeaux... :lol:

Two little things :

- Marseille and Vienne are spellt without a final -s

- Indeed I was refering to the final stretch of the river. The river Garonne actually starts off from the Spanish Pyrenees but has traditionally been navigable only from Toulouse to the ocean. I believe this is what the mod should depict.

Two little things :

- Marseille and Vienne are spellt without a final -s

- Indeed I was refering to the final stretch of the river. The river Garonne actually starts off from the Spanish Pyrenees but has traditionally been navigable only from Toulouse to the ocean. I believe this is what the mod should depict.

2E, 1S then :)

The post has been edited.

If there are no more requests, I'll put up the new German and French maps in addition to the Dutch map to be included in the next beta.

@Absinthered, if the new Iberia won't be released in this beta, then I'd like to make a temporary spanish name map that is synchronized with the others at least in Italy and Germany/low countries, since that will remain the same, right?

If there are no more requests, I'll put up the new German and French maps in addition to the Dutch map to be included in the next beta.

@Absinthered, if the new Iberia won't be released in this beta, then I'd like to make a temporary spanish name map that is synchronized with the others at least in Italy and Germany/low countries, since that will remain the same, right?

Alright, I will upload the latest map changes (mostly rivers in germany and france), and the spanish city name map soon
You will be able to adjust everything to these if you have time before Beta 12

Beta 12 will include all the 9 updated maps from the second post
Good job, everyone ;)

WIP since the second post was updated: france and germany, byzantium and ottomans - I will include the latest of those maps once your changes are finished
Also, I will upload the spanish, portuguese and cordoban name maps before I leave tomorrow morning

Updated all the city name maps to use the latest version of the RFCE map
This means that Spain, Portugal and Cordoba is there too :)
You can continue improving all of them ;)

Michael Vick, Kartoffelvampir:
Pls continue your work on the new maps. I know it's a little extra work to port your changes, but was needed
It's rather easy: the labels (signs) are on the end of the CivBeyondSwordWBSave file, end the number of plots written is right before the plot info starts:
BeginMap
grid width=100
grid height=73
top latitude=67
bottom latitude=27
wrap X=0
wrap Y=0
world size=WORLDSIZE_HUGE
climate=CLIMATE_TEMPERATE
sealevel=SEALEVEL_MEDIUM
num plots written=7300
num signs written=419
Randomize Resources=false
EndMap

### Plot Info ###
So, you just have to copy-paste your signs to this new map (while overwriting the signs there), end make sure that you copy over your num signs written number as well
You just have to do this once, then you can keep improving the maps with only editing and saving in the worldbuilder

I will post an updated French Burgundian map in the next few days - the issue is with the Burgundian capital now named as Beaune and the preplaced Lyon turning to Vienne on conquest. These issues were identified during our discussions but no correction was submitted.

I will post an updated French Burgundian map in the next few days - the issue is with the Burgundian capital now named as Beaune and the preplaced Lyon turning to Vienne on conquest. These issues were identified during our discussions but no correction was submitted.

You can move the capital and Lyon one tile in one direction or another from Python. Just be mindful of the resources in the area and proximity to other spawns (like Paris). Unlike city names, city locations can have significant impact on gameplay.

Indeed. I changed the location of 4 cities to my own preference: Lübeck 1W, Palermo 1SE, Valencia 1S and Pamplona 1SE. Especially Pamplona is a huge production city on that spot. Maybe it's less historical but I just hate to see suboptimal cities (in my view).:mischief:

Indeed. I changed the location of 4 cities to my own preference: Lübeck 1W, Palermo 1SE, Valencia 1S and Pamplona 1SE. Especially Pamplona is a huge production city on that spot. Maybe it's less historical but I just hate to see suboptimal cities (in my view).:mischief:

Don't do it that way. First put the cities on the historically accurate spot and only then adjust the resources to make sure the cities are worth the trouble. Moving a resource one tile one way or another is much better than putting a city on an ahistoric spot.

I have to look again, but I think Palermo's location was chosen so that it would allow for a second good city in Sicily.

I won't update the SVN with my changes, don't worry. I find this much easier than editing the WB, I'd rather not move rivers and resources and all the other stuff to create a similar city.

I won't update the SVN with my changes, don't worry. I find this much easier than editing the WB, I'd rather not move rivers and resources and all the other stuff to create a similar city.

Are you signed as a developer on soureforge? Anyone can download the svn, but only select people can edit it. Either way, all map changes should go through AbsintheRed as he is the one making sure things don't conflict or whatever.

If you want to make changes for yourself, then this is fine you can do whatever you want. If you are proposing changes for everyone, then we will not put cities to ahistoric locations.

Top Bottom