City planning and dotmapping

Oh crap guys.... When I played the save the settler looked as though it was headed to the read dot so it is headed that way now. I think that it would be quicker to wait 2 turns to get the next settler to move to the dyes.

Again, sorry. But the good news is that I saved a bunch on my insuruance with Gieko. I mean I have internet access here at the hotel all be it just dial up :( .

Hooray for having Geiko ;) and internet access! :dance:

not to jump too far ahead, but, sometime after furs, I'd like to get a city on the other side of the channel. Sometime being when we don't care about the corruption and after there are GS running amok

Admiral Kutzov said:
not to jump too far ahead, but, sometime after furs, I'd like to get a city on the other side of the channel. Sometime being when we don't care about the corruption and after there are GS running amok
I have to second the Admiral here. Establishing that beachhead will be critical to operations on the other continent.

I'd be up for the 1st settler after galleys goes across the chunnel. GS should be online then.

We need to be careful not having GS over there if there's not enough spears over the top. We don't want a despotic GA.

I agree with Whomp, no GS on the other continent at least until we're a republic and even then we might want to wait. Any chance we can snag a luxury over there?

Gareed Daghie. "Naval blockade" even sounds cool. I think we control the channel with what 4 boat?

If we found on the other continent, there is a tiole exactly 4 tiles due W of "Polar Bear Club" or whatever booti MM'd my town to sound like ;)

Post with the big picture of the map over the channel

That implies that it's exactly a galley+GLH run over from a direct ferry with no movement lost for units, or a galley run with a unit move lost w/o. Or even, a caravel's direct move. Once we get to the MA, caravel+knights could make a very nice mix; before that GLH would have a reason to be conisdered.

As for the blockade, we need 6 fortified boaties on our side of the channel to make it impossible to cross with a galley, without GLH: from 2NW PBC to S-SW. With GLH for them it makes our job virtually impossible, with it for us it doesn't lower the amount of boats needed - but it does imply we can surround boats that would survive in the open.

We shouldn't exclude the possibility of a southern connection of the landmasses, which would make it impossible to blockade attacks.

Beorn-eL-Feared said:
We shouldn't exclude the possibility of a southern connection of the landmasses, which would make it impossible to blockade attacks.
If I've got it right there is only this one plus the one down SE in MIA-land. An agreement could be made w MIA on blocking both those gaps.
About stray enemy ships surviving a suicide run I don't see that as such a big problem. The main point in blocking the gap is, IMIO, that we can prevent an enemy fleet from passing, thus making it difficult for them to do move troops in general be it for an invasion or just re-grouping.

Crakie said:
I agree with Whomp, no GS on the other continent at least until we're a republic and even then we might want to wait. Any chance we can snag a luxury over there?
I don't understand this logic at all. Why don't we just paint a target on our chest and give our cities over there away. If we go to the other continent, we go in force. Period. End of story. You think TNT and their immortals are going to throw a tea party for us? We need to land at least three GS with our first settler.

If we're going across, a despot GA is the least of our worries.

I think TNT will not attack one city built on their side of the gap. They would have a 2 front war with the fastest growing civ :nono:.
If we are concerned about not getting despot GA, but still have GS's around, we could wait settling until rep. is about 15 turns away. That is my estimate on how long it will take for them to notice and gather a force to attack. I even think we could settle w/o being noticed for some time because they are sending all their troops S and if they don't have a lookout...
We should be able to time the settlement with our change of government and still be first on that spot.
We're not forced to go slow burn on rep, right?

@Daghda: if we lose the city, + the units defending, we will have serious WW problems. I have to agree with Bugs: we are in no position atm to seriously consider holding on to an overseas city. Heck, what could we do if they land 5 Immortals in the next 10 turns? We mostly have warriors, so we'll be screwed. If they have knowledge of that area of the map, they will see the city once it's settled.

This port city can be a long term goal, but we need to do it seriously (and I'm thinking more like 15-20 GS's, not 3).

I agree with Grahamiam and Bugs. If they initiate war we will bring it to them. Right now lets get our cities (core) up and running, some workers working and our power developing. With our growth we will be able to outproduce them easily. I would hope for a scenario where we are twice as big as they are and they attack us. We cremate them during our GA in Repub and then land 20-30 GS on thier capital doorstep with a fleet.

@Dag, no we are not forced to do a slow burn on Republic, ut if we keep up the min run for too long, there's no way we could make it up.

@everyone, I think that the city across the gap is long-term goal. I agree that we should be over there in force and 3 isn't enough. 15-20 might be overkill but that's better than underkill right? Remember if the fireworks don't go off don't pick them up. Just run over them with another GS ;).

I think a Grahamiam level SoD(15-20) is required on the other continent before we ever consider aggressive settlement there.

To me if we are looking to control the gap then galleys will cost us considerably less than building a city that needs protection from out best unit. Let's remember TNT is ages behind in tech and could be a good 20-30+ turns or more from Map making. We're there soon.

Let's make this a long term goal once our military has filled in and hopefully avoid a despotic GA.

I totally garee that settling Our second continent is a long term goal. My only concern is we lose that strategic poit if we wait too long.
If TNT are using Immo's vs. Nuts they will soon trigger their GA and that will last for 20 turns. How much do have left on a mini run for Rep.? Isn't it so that they will be out of their GA at about the same time we have changed government? If they are some techs behind and have been at war for ages wouldn't that be a good time to move forward, assuming our GS's plants are up and running at that time?
I also suggest this will be a co-op with MIA. That would have the benefit of greater firepower as well as MIA have to move some troops off our continent. I think it would be unwise to ship the bulk of our military overseas w/o MIA doing the same. It could put naughty ideas in their heads.

I was just saying that IF the team wants to settle fairly quickly on the other continent, I think we should hold off the GS before reaching republic. Whether settling there soon is actually worthwhile is another question; I haven't quite made up my mind on it to be honest.

Fact of the matter remains that those cities won't be easy to defend - bringing a sufficiently large stack of GS or defenders will stretch our resources too much. Our core is more important than a couple of far away cities. So IF we settle over there, we take for granted that they won't be defended that well, gambling on the fact they have other interests to pursue than attacking us.

Here is a view of how our cross channel operations should work:

Top Bottom