1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 3 Complete on Windows 10 Error

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by Ozymandias, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

Hi all - After an installation as described in the "Subject" line, when I try to run the game I receive a pop-up "Access Denied" error message: "Please login with admin privileges and try again" -
    1. I am the admin (home machine.)
    2. I changed the security settings for every file granting everyone and everything full permissions - and no change, then -
    3. I tried "Compatibility Modes (No-Go)
    4. Although, as a consolation prize, the editor will run ...
    -:undecide:z

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
  3. Ozymandias

Many Thanks! I've not loaded up Civ 3 since before 2015, and never "Complete. I'll give the options you've pointed me to a shot.

4. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I probably should update that thread with any recent info, except I haven't really touched Civ III for a couple years now. @tjs282 or anyone else who has suggestions for updating that thread to be more helpful just drop me a pm.

5. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    If it is simply the disabled-secdrv problem, then a NoCD .exe (e.g. the one from the PCGames magazine website) should be all you'll need to fix it.
    Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of to add might be a note that, along with Steam and GamersGate, GOG.com is also now a legit source of a NoCD installation.

The last post in your thread (June 2016) was made about 6 months before GOG started selling C3C (in early 2017, IIRC), so that useful nugget hasn't been noted anywhere yet. But (unlike the GG version) the GOG-version doesn't require the user to install the Steam client -- and thus should be compatible with Civ3-mods made before Steam messed with (the .exe and) the 'standard' labels.txt file (which also screwed up most Civ3-mod text-labels).

It might also be worth asking a friendly Mod to move/sticky your thread to this forum (Civ3 Technical Support), because at the moment it's buried several pages into the Civ3 GD forum. I found it again via a link from a similar thread in this forum.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  6. Ozymandias

PS TO THE ABOVE! -The "Edit" function has gone FUBAR and my post edits keep reverting away. I've sorted out all the files and whatnot. - So, yet again,thank you both, oh so very, very much! :whew: :w00t:

tjs282 likes this.