Civ 3 Complete on Windows 10 Error

Ozymandias

In Terra Fantasia
Supporter
Hi all - After an installation as described in the "Subject" line, when I try to run the game I receive a pop-up "Access Denied" error message: "Please login with admin privileges and try again" -
  1. I am the admin (home machine.)
  2. I changed the security settings for every file granting everyone and everything full permissions - and no change, then -
  3. I tried "Compatibility Modes (No-Go)
  4. Although, as a consolation prize, the editor will run ...
-:undecide:z

Last edited:
Are you attempting to install from a CD? And is this the first time since late 2015 that you've ever tried to install that CD-based version of CivIII under (WinVista to) Win10?

If yes to both, then this (kinda old) thread might explain the problem, and some possible solutions:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-3-windows-update-kb3086255-safedisc.552308/
I probably should update that thread with any recent info, except I haven't really touched Civ III for a couple years now. @tjs282 or anyone else who has suggestions for updating that thread to be more helpful just drop me a pm.

Many Thanks! I've not loaded up Civ 3 since before 2015, and never "Complete. I'll give the options you've pointed me to a shot.
If it is simply the disabled-secdrv problem, then a NoCD .exe (e.g. the one from the PCGames magazine website) should be all you'll need to fix it.
I probably should update that thread with any recent info, except I haven't really touched Civ III for a couple years now.
Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of to add might be a note that, along with Steam and GamersGate, GOG.com is also now a legit source of a NoCD installation.

The last post in your thread (June 2016) was made about 6 months before GOG started selling C3C (in early 2017, IIRC), so that useful nugget hasn't been noted anywhere yet. But (unlike the GG version) the GOG-version doesn't require the user to install the Steam client -- and thus should be compatible with Civ3-mods made before Steam messed with (the .exe and) the 'standard' labels.txt file (which also screwed up most Civ3-mod text-labels).

It might also be worth asking a friendly Mod to move/sticky your thread to this forum (Civ3 Technical Support), because at the moment it's buried several pages into the Civ3 GD forum. I found it again via a link from a similar thread in this forum.

Last edited:
PS TO THE ABOVE! -The "Edit" function has gone FUBAR and my post edits keep reverting away. I've sorted out all the files and whatnot. - So, yet again,thank you both, oh so very, very much! :whew: :w00t:

Top Bottom