Civ 3 Demogame Website

Originally posted by FionnMcCumhall
no the whole palace image should be complete, looking like it would if the palace is finished

Yeah, as DZ pointed out, that is the actual state of the palace in the DG3. I made it that way as a representation of where our nation is at.

I think leaving it incomplete says something, but if everyone wants the full palace because it makes a better pic, I will gladly switch it up.

DZ:
Originally posted by Donovan Zoi
Why is that, Fionn? The Palace progress is somewhat indicative of our nation's progress and should be reflected as such. I think that the palace pic should be updated each term along wth the leader pics.

I dont and the reason is we could go thru terms where the palace never gets an addition, not possible but can happen.

After checking out the GOTM webpage, I am warming up to this idea. We will have to make sure we dedicate ourselves to it entirely if it is to work. Fionn, are you sure you are ready for this? Because it seems to me that its success will lie primarily on your shoulders, at least in the beginning.

Now why would this fall entirely on my shoulders. This should be a team effort, yes maybe i have bit off more than i can chew by taking on this task, plus constantly updateing my other site and school on top of that, that is why i have retired from political positions for a time. But this site should be a combined effort from the members of this game, including the moderators. and its about time your warming up to this idea ;)

Even if volunteers do not have dreamweaver any html experience is good as i can plug it into dreamweaver and clean it up :). So any help is good.

Oct: its too bad we cant link the true MSDG page to the link but we dont want to give away anything but a small page is good for both Civ2 and MSDG games.

Once we all get the site up and running I'm sure there will be no shortage of criticism and assistance. Let's just make it a goal to publish the site by the end of the month. I'll submit some appropriate map jpgs to you by the end of the weekend so you have something to work with.

And I know near-squat about HTML, but I still plan to be you biggest contributer of content this month.

Ok, so we have an attainable goal(end of month), and a need for content and HTML authors. And we need a decision on the Palace. ;) So:

1. Who else wants to provide content? We right now have deshelbr and Fionn. I will help too if I have the time.

2. Who knows HTML? My biggest concern is Fionn taking this on all by himself and getting frustrated by the lack of assistance. (BTW, Fionn, those were my reservations from the start --- getting you the help that you need to pull this off.)

3. Let's bounce around some more format ideas.

4. Palace - complete or in-progress ??

I'll be happy to provide a summary of the Judicial opinions and current laws. I've actually got them in files already.

Also, I can help with the HTML if needed. I'm a web developer by profession (mostly JSP's), so have some technical knowledge. That artsy type stuff - I can't do stick figures well!

-- Ravensfire

the main look of the site hasnt changed, and more than likely wont. Maps are a start and deshelbr ill be added your maps to the cartography office as well. Ill be working on the homepage and navigation this weekend in my spare time.

Fionn,

I have no desire to alter the great work you have done, except for the "Democracy Game" heading. Can we search for a font that better matches the rest of the page? Please don't take offense, but the words look as if they were applied with cake frosting over your otherwise noble-looking layout. As you've entioned. gold should be a good color, but we should find a font that better represents the Romans.

And by "format ideas" I mean what are we going to do with that huge blank spot? ;) Should this be solely an introduction to the game? I would like to write(or help to write) the site intro.

Also, Fionn or anyone. Does anyone know how to make clickable image maps for something as varied as our provincial borders? I think this type of thing would be a great way to navigate our forums, if anyone here has the knowledge and the time.

4. Palace - complete or in-progress ??
I actually thought that the current in-progress image was highly appropriate. My reason being that (whether by design or coincidence) the palace currently has the appearance of being three separate civic buildings - one for each branch of the government. The way the branches were grouped also suggests this. Personally I'd keep that image and not change it as the game progresses.

Palace image - I like the idea of it being our current palace in-game. It goes to show the progess / current state of the game.

[Worry Mode]

One concern I have with this site is mission creep. I am afraid that if we start to:

1) duplicate content that is already in the forums, or
2) have alot of content that needs to be updated after every turnchat,

that we are creating more work to maintain the site and are also increasing the risk that the site contains outdated material.

This also includes making things more complex than need be - for example: while hyperlinked image maps for the provinces and towns would really be cool, it could be alot of work to make sure it is always current. Keep it simple, have a map and have an organized table with links below the map. Both are much easier to maintain and is just as effective as an image map.

[/Worry Mode] :undecide:

Good points, zorven (I have been saying that alot lately... ;) )

I too want to ensure that most of our content originates in these forums. My initial hesitant reaction to this website idea was that I didn't want us to spread ourselves too thin, or take focus away from here.

My hopes for this site is that it puts a fresh face on the DG3 forum, and compels people to join the fun. That's why I think a clickable map would be cool. But as zorven said, let's keep it simple --- unless there is someone here who can do that kind of thing in their sleep. ;)

FionnMcCumhall

If you have specific tasks that you would like help with, please post them here.

Also, Fionn or anyone. Does anyone know how to make clickable image maps for something as varied as our provincial borders? I think this type of thing would be a great way to navigate our forums, if anyone here has the knowledge and the time.

Yes. It's been a while since I've done it, but I have done it before.

I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

-- Ravensfire

clickable maps are easy with dreamweaver DZ all i have to have is the image :)

Oct: The Civ2 DGers havent said much in regards to a site but i think its best served for them to have a page explaining the game and relavant links to the respective forum. So if you dont mind doing that it be much appreciative

also after careful consideration and looking at the potential site with some friends at school they agree the font for the Democracy Game header needs to be changed, so ill switch it up

I just had an idea and wanted to run it by you guys

I was thinking of adding one more button to the navigation called Join and linking it to the Citizen Registry so that if someone chooses to join all they have to do is click the join button and they go straight to the forum and the thread? what do you think?

Originally posted by FionnMcCumhall
I was thinking of adding one more button to the navigation called Join and linking it to the Citizen Registry so that if someone chooses to join all they have to do is click the join button and they go straight to the forum and the thread? what do you think?

I think that rocks, Fionn. :goodjob: It can link to a website page that explains the process in detail, or we can link to the first post of the Citizen Regitry. If we opt for the latter, then I would like to make the first post of that thread more welcoming.

I would also like the main body of the page to be an introduction of sorts, where I or someone else give a run-through on the best way to navigate through and participate in the game, with the appropriate links to this forum. I am pretty sure that is what we are planning anyway.

Originally posted by deshelbr
Is there anyway that we can directly query the CivFanatics database so we could show hyperlinked titles of the five most recent threads in any specific forum?

An interesting idea, but from a security perspective, a Bad Thing (tm) to do. Never give the outside world a chance to get at your database - too many bad things happen there!

now one of us periodically updating the top five discussions ....

-- Ravensfire

Top Bottom