1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 3 Demogame Website

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: Citizens' started by FionnMcCumhall, Aug 2, 2003.

1. deshelbr

deshelbr International Playboy

But just for clarification, do we have access to execute "select" statements on the CFC database?

This would enable us to do stuff on our webpage like:

1) Automatically create on our website an updated list of hyperlinks to the last five CFC threads of any forum.

2) Automatically generate current charts based on any CFC poll results.

3) Automatically show the text from any specific post in CFC, meaning that if the President wants to do a summary of events, he only has to do it in one place, not two.

4) Access the save games and turnchats from the DG3 website that reside in the CFC database, without needed to save a copy in our database.

5) Possibly generate on our website a name list of DG3 citizens with a hyperlink enabling you to PM them.

2. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

No we wont have access to CFC's database

3. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

Dont forget about this topic, i wont finish this if no one pipes up what they want or are willing to do

4. deshelbr

Fionn - You're right, you're right. We are dropping the ball here. OK, I know you want me to do that graphic of the entire nation with the cities added on. Give me a list of other pieces of artwork you need to get a rough-draft up and running. I can probably do all of it by the end of the weekend.

I strongly suggest that you put something up as a work in progress. If people have specific things to criticize you will get a lot more ideas out of them.

Also, what is it exactly you need to know database related to start out? I have access to all sorts of experts.

5. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Yes, Fionn. I don't want to lose sight of this either, so thank you for your persistence.

I mentioned in the Main Page thread that part of my Main Page announcement(coming tomorrow!) would include an invitation to help out on our website, along with some other things. I really feel that if we interface our forums properly with this thing, we can really build a sense of community here.

Once I get the Main Page business behind me, I can help you guys brainstorm some more. Do you think we have a chance of getting this thing live by Sept 1st? 15th?

Let's start setting a timeline and I will do my best to see that all deadlines are met. Please discuss this and I will join in again tomorrow nite. :)

6. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I'm "visual design challenged" (meaning my drawings look like a 5 year old's), which is why I work strictly with back-end stuff, primarily business logic EJBs. I doubt we have access to an EJB container, so unfortunately I probably won't be able to contribute much...

Saw the quick back & forth on 5th normal form, brings back memories of a coworker with a Ph.D. in databases trying to convince me to put EJBs into normal form [shudder]. :eek:

My main contribution could be to test the links and provide feedback. Just yell when it's ready! :D

7. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Fionn,

The first thing we need is someone with an overall vision of what the website should look like (in terms of pages to have, links, etc. Not exactly what every single page should be!). Would you be willing to do that?

If so, start posting what needs to be done. Those of us who have offered to help will pick up the tasks, do them, and get the results back to you.

I'm also artistically challenged - Dave and I can compete for worst drawing! I do know client-side stuff (html, jsp, etc). Just don't make me design a pretty layout!

-- Ravensfire

8. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

so you want a site map pretty much correct?

9. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Yeah, something like that. I'm going to toss something together over the weekend for the Judiciary and see what happens.

-- Ravensfire

10. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

As for databases i know what i want but its hard to tell people without showing you for those that do not belong to the MSDG team and can see the homepage, I may have to ask 40J what he did for what i want to do. We have our own MySQL/PHP server to create our own databases. If you guys can think of something that we can use that DB related for the site then tell me about it and we shall see if we can implement it. Id like to get at least the government graphic del was working on, mini map, and im not sure what else we can add to the main page, aside from a wecolme message. anybody got any ideas?

Working on a sitemap now, ill have it up by friday night

11. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

Here is the site map

12. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

This site map will help greatly, and will hopefully inspire new discussion. I don't have much time to post my ideas right now, but will try to so over the weekend.

Fionn, is there any way to start setting up the shell of the site now, and create the pages by just typing in the title? This way when the time comes, we can just start plugging things in.

Finally, my main page announcement will have to wait until Saturday morning, hopefully. RL has pretty much taken my usual forum time away for yesterday and today. However, I have cut a pic of the Histograph so that all can see that we are #1, and I will elaborate on that somewhat before asking the CFC community to come join us. Does this sound ok?

13. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Well, it only took a week and half, but I have finally posted an update on the CFC Main Page. Actually, it is a request for new citizenship as well, and I have linked my announcement to this very thread. I figure this will tide us over and hopefully give us some new insights while we continue to develop the web page.

Here it is:

14. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

im working on menu changes on the site and will try to have a working model up soon. As for help on the site all we need are the graphics from deshelbr. (Government graphic, maps)

We also need to discuss databases and what we will use it for, Such as an easy upload feature for maps and saves so saves can be accessed from those wanting to join the game.

A complete FAQ needs to be written. Top links a new person should look at in the forum with a brief description of them, a small about the game page from our humble beginnings in DG1 to current. (text or html, i dont care as long as i can plug it into my editor)

Oct: if your planning on doing something small and simple for the Civ2 DG, ill need that to post soon, same with the msdg part, unless you prefer links to the games forum (not the high council :))

I also need to know about the constitution of the game, are we revamping it or leaving it as it with CoL so i can make it a webpage for easier access for those that prefer to not access the forum all the time. We also need to discuss weather or not we want to list duties and responsibilities of each position of the government what to do with the goverment graphic and if the direct to the CFC forum profiles of each elected official or to the page with the position description assuming we make one. Direction on pages is necassary or its impossible to build a website.

deshelbr: Government graphic, maps

Not sure what else i can think of. please do not forget that overall i control the site, this part of it is not a democracy.

15. deshelbr

Almost done. I'm just going to put them up on my FTP site and post the links here for you to download and map things to. I got the full nation with little dots for cities and each province clearly separate, I've got the goverment graphic with updated avatars, and I've got a moderately detailed map of each province.

Let me know if you have any specific SQL questions, I can't wait to see the cool stuff you are going to do.

16. deshelbr

17. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

deshelbr: can you shrink the boxes containing the avatars some, i dont want it to take away from the images. Do these mayors have threads pertaining to their cities. Also can you make the border a bit bigger. Id like to keep using the same font that we have for the site itself, let me know if you need it, its called EngraversGothic BT

Good job keep up the work

18. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

19. deshelbr

This shouldn't be a big deal.

Yes, I'm only putting up the avatars for mayors with city threads.

Arghhhhhh!!! I rendered the text and cropped the images!! :wallbash:

I downloaded this font and checked it out, it looks good for the city names, but not for the numbers. I can switch the text out, but it will take me some time. Give me the exact dimensions (in pixels) you want the images to be. I'll try blowing them up and see how that looks but I have a feeling I will need to redo most of it.

I had originally sized the provinces to fit on the screen, in the forums, if you had your resolution set to 1024 x 768.

20. Bacon King

Bacon King Emperor

deshelbr- on the map with the provinces, you might want to make the non-Fanatican cities in Quirinal a different color or something.