• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ 3 Fundamentalism Govt Patch

Kino

Chieftain
Inspired by the great Fascism mod patch that was just released for Civilization 3, I decided to bring Fundamentalism back as a government choice. The .zip file is attached here and the installation instructions are inside, but here's the scoop on the fundamentalism government choice:

Prerequisite: Monotheism (it will appear as a feature of the Monotheism advance)
Corruption: Minimal
Cost/Unit: 1
Free Units: 2/4/8
Rate Cap: 6
Worker Rate: 2
Assimilation Chance: 2%
Draft Limit: 2
Military Police Limit: 4
Immune to Initiate Propaganda
Very Resistant to Democracies, Communist Govts, and Republics

Basically, the plus sides of Fundamentalism are that corruption is nearly nil, you are immune to propaganda from foreign powers, and if conquered, your people will resist some forms of government strongly. However, the major downside of Fundamentalism is you can only allocate a Research Science Funding rating of up to 60%, and no more.

This makes your cities hard to take and hold onto, but it makes it difficult for you to advance intellectually.

Attachments

• civ3fund.zip
    152 KB · Views: 976
Anyone tested this yet? I'm working on testing the government, but haven't gotten a chance (I need a debugging mode on Civ3!). I'm curious if it's working right.

Well, I just changed my government in my current game to it, so it seems to be working. Good.

It seems that you don't know that Fundamentalism is a very new form of government, in fact, it's probably the newest, as it appeared only in the 20th century (I've searched a little bit about the origins of the Fundamentalism).

You shouldn't think that fundamentalism appeared with the Islam, as they where ruled similarly to a Monarchy (which remains true today as in countries as Morocco).

About the caracteristics of your mod, let me make a critic, Fundamentalism is not corrupt ?. Well, at first I thought so, but when you think of the development of Fundamentalist countries, you see how poorly developed they are, that's only explained by it's high unefficiency in almost every aspect, from culture, to trade or construction, so I give it as much corruption as monarchy.

A final note, look at my Fundamentalism patch in Spanish+Fascism+Fundamentalism and you both can get a better fundamentalism patch.

Said by valrond:
It seems that you don't know that Fundamentalism is a very new form of government, in fact, it's probably the newest, as it appeared only in the 20th century (I've searched a little bit about the origins of the Fundamentalism).

I never said it was an ancient form of government in my patch. I said it is "often considered a medieval form of government", but then went on to explain that it really is not. However, as a political movement (but not a form of government), it goes back to the 19th century, and perhaps farther.

Said by valrond:
You shouldn't think that fundamentalism appeared with the Islam, as they where ruled similarly to a Monarchy (which remains true today as in countries as Morocco).

I never said that at all. In fact, I explained in my patch that the term fundamentalism appeared because of an American 19th century militant Evangelical movement.

Said by valrond:
Fundamentalism is not corrupt ?. Well, at first I thought so, but when you think of the development of Fundamentalist countries, you see how poorly developed they are, that's only explained by it's high unefficiency in almost every aspect, from culture, to trade or construction, so I give it as much corruption as monarchy.

Which fundamentalist nations are you citing as an example here? Because it may not be the government that is the only factor in the nation's corruption and waste. Fundamentalism, in its ideal functioning, would have very little corruption, and it is in that ideal that I have modeled my patch. For example, the Amish people in America could be considered fundamentalists, and are quite profitable and absolutely uncorrupt, despite the fact that they do not use any forms of technology.

While I think you have some very interesting concepts with your version of fundamentalism in your patch, I believe it may be game unbalancing. Under your patch, they have the highest draft limit in the game (by a large amount), the highest military police presence, the best unit support, the best espionage bonus, as well as an immunity to propaganda and a high resistance bonus. This makes them extraordinarily powerful as a military presence, because they get free military units, can apply those military units to happiness as police (cutting entertainment costs), and can draft them in huge numbers from the populace. With the addition of an immunity to propaganda and a high resistance factor, it makes war with a fundamentalist government a very unbalanced proposition. At the same time, their elite spy level (higher even than Communism) means they can lead highly successful espionage missions against other civs, if not invade them outright.

Originally posted by Kino

I never said it was an ancient form of government in my patch. I said it is "often considered a medieval form of government", but then went on to explain that it really is not. However, as a political movement (but not a form of government), it goes back to the 19th century, and perhaps farther.

Sure, thanks how it is, but you put it when Monotheism appears, and that's in the early middle ages, before even chivalry.
So if you want to make it historically accurate, put them in something closer to our time, like I did putting it with Comminism.

Which fundamentalist nations are you citing as an example here? Because it may not be the government that is the only factor in the nation's corruption and waste. Fundamentalism, in its ideal functioning, would have very little corruption, and it is in that ideal that I have modeled my patch. For example, the Amish people in America could be considered fundamentalists, and are quite profitable and absolutely uncorrupt, despite the fact that they do not use any forms of technology.

I'm putting Islamic Fundamentalism as example, Amish are not significant, but the same can't be said of Islamic, as you can see those days.
And I'm not talking about theory, as Communism should theoretically be corruptless too, but as I said, I'm tryng to reflect the poor commerce and construction effectiveness and no Scientific development.

While I think you have some very interesting concepts with your version of fundamentalism in your patch, I believe it may be game unbalancing. Under your patch, they have the highest draft limit in the game (by a large amount), the highest military police presence, the best unit support, the best espionage bonus, as well as an immunity to propaganda and a high resistance bonus. This makes them extraordinarily powerful as a military presence, because they get free military units, can apply those military units to happiness as police (cutting entertainment costs), and can draft them in huge numbers from the populace. With the addition of an immunity to propaganda and a high resistance factor, it makes war with a fundamentalist government a very unbalanced proposition. At the same time, their elite spy level (higher even than Communism) means they can lead highly successful espionage missions against other civs, if not invade them outright.

They are not that good, as for unit support, just think that in the Industrial times, you should have enought cities and metropolis to support and army of about 100 in Communism or Monarchy without support.
And compared with Democracy, the high corruption and no trade bonus makes Fundamentalism to generate little money, Democracy can generate more money, get more science and pay for its army and still get more income tha fundamentalism.

If you belive that Fundamentalist aren't resistant just watch the TV, they get warriors even from the kids, and have managed to make more damaged in the USA than Communism throughout history.

Just try it and tell me if it is unbalance

I've done for myselft my own "fascist + fundamentalist patch"... Fundamentalism is almost the same as it was in Civ2, but I made it produce conscript spies so that they couldn't just steal techs from other civs and produce lot of units... And like Civ2 too, they CAN pay their citizens to hurry production... I don't know if it is accurate but it was necessary for game balance. I added 2 new techs too on the science advisor with those X and Y and editing with PSP the science industrial advisors lines... It works well :) For Fascism, it could be called "War Republic" It's the same as republic but their assimilation rating is down to 1% and they can hurry by forced labor... For advantage they get No war weariness, 3 units for police and Draft limit to 2... Now I don't know if I'll publish it there since there's already a lot of fascist + fundamentalist patch... It needs some tests anyway...

my fundamentalist govt isnt working in my game. it works but when i access my advisors, it says im generating errors and the game will shut down. I installed it into my own game, i read the install instructions, but since i had alot of exp modifying unit types, i knew where to go and input into the game. my civ3mod.bic is full of all my unit mods, so i included the fundamentalism into my bic, but it doesnt seem to work correctly.

Kino,
I also have Fundamentalism in my game, but the only difference I have is that I have it listed once you discover Theology. I haven't downloaded it yet, but I was just wondering if you have any other modification to Fundamentalism, like "requires maintance" or anything like that checked?

Top Bottom