1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 4 Game of the Year Winner!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by homegrown, Dec 20, 2005.

1. -EFD-Hitless

-EFD-Hitless Chieftain

What a joke! I would rather somebody kick me in my privates :blush: before I give another dollar to firaxis or Take-2.

My vote goes to Battlefield 2 & Battlefield 2: Special Forces. And yes, I know they have had some bugs with it, but at least they acknowledged them and fixed them. They even have an official forum where we go and complain and actually get an answer from EA. The answer may not always be what we want to hear, but, at least we get an answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

IIRC FEAR and Civ 4 came out about the same time. so this would have FEAR of being late year release which majority of games are released. FEAR is just another shooter with better graphics to those who can a very high end PC.

3. Kolyana

Kolyana Czarina

I'd be voting for F.E.A.R ... it was a stunning game, very long, great physics, sound and ambience, very immersive and ran extremely well out of the box. (And I run it on max specs and it's an AVERAGE PC).

4. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

My vote would definately go to F.E.A.R., but I have to admit I am extremely bias in this case. I've been playing FPS almost my whole life. Civ (3 & 4) is literally the only strategy game I've ever played. It's hard actually comparing these two because of the two totally different genres, but my vote has to go with the game that creamed everything else it's in genre (IMO) especially when I've played more games from that genre and have competition to compare it to/with. Civ4 is like an orange that fell from an apple tree for me. It's really good and I'll be hooked for a long time, no doubt, but I just can't give it the honors of being GOTY. Civ4 could be strategy game of the year, but then again I have no place really saying that either. :p

Smidlee, you're right. Civ4 was released 10-25, F.E.A.R. was released 10-18.

5. Gr3yL3gion

Gr3yL3gion Voice of Madness

IMO Civ 4 is a good game, the only thing is that there isn't a real contender against it for the strategy genre this year. (Other strategy game includes AOE3)

I don't mind it win under strategy games section, as long it doesn't win GOTY as a whole, as there are better games out there.

6. Benitus

Benitus Chieftain

For me the game if the year is Battlefield 2. You can play this game forever...

Civ 4 comes in second place n F.E.A.R. comes third.

7. Carewolf

Carewolf Gammelt røvhul

HOW can it become the game of the year when it is not even working yet?

It can become the game of the year in 2006 if they get it working, or in 2007, but it shouldn't be possible to become "game of the year" on a christmas rushed beta version, even if the basic gameplay is solid.

8. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Congratulations to Firaxis for making great game!

9. Xavier Von Erck

Xavier Von Erck Warlord

It's awesome that professionals review games instead of the idiots in this thread.

Congratulations to Firaxis and Take-Two! Glad they got the patch out so quickly, fixed the only small issue I had (slowness) on my uber-leet 512 RAM/2.4 Pentium computer that apparently is awesomely badass for being able to handle this game even into the year 2210. Yay computer!

Never before has something SO BUGGY!OMG! been so easy and fun to play.

(Battlefield 2 just about killed my graphics card though, maybe I should go whine about it somewhere... naaaahhh!)

10. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

Be nice. I would be disappointed too if I couldn't get civ4 to play.

11. Xavier Von Erck

Xavier Von Erck Warlord

I would be disappointed, but I wouldn't be like these people, coming into a thread like this to piss and moan. This is a celebratory game of the year thread. Not a "GAME IS SO BUGGY OMG STUPIDZ!" thread that ignores the fact that most people play the game with no real issues.

Take a look at Hitless's post up there. Why be nice to an idiot like that? Firaxis hasn't acknowledged that a minority of users have problems? They didn't release a patch quickly? They don't already have another one on-deck with further fixes? Get off it. They've done a great job being upfront about the issues and working on fixing them.

And they did a great job on making the runaway game of the year.

12. joasoze

joasoze Warlord

CIV IV is game of the year for me. There is no other good strategy game out there at all.

Thoug I have a little hope for Heroes V

13. upstart

upstart Warlord

i say civ4 deserves to win it, no question. for those who say that the sites sold out...what exactly have you been smoking? can you count on one hand the number of times a civ4 advert popped up while browsing? i can. now how about FEAR? or WOW? or BF2? how about on twenty hands? now say again which game winning would be "selling out"?

anyways congrats firaxians, you deserve it.

14. MikeH

MikeH Prince

The only games that came out this year here in the UK that I've enjoyed were WoW and Civ 4 and as WoW was released in the States last year I can see why they gave it to Civ 4.

Of course both games have forums full of 'This game sucks' posts, but what game doesn't?

15. Kolyana

Kolyana Czarina

It's okay, he's just a troll.

16. Breunor

Breunor Deity

I've spent a large part of my life as a game reviewer, over 20 years, although I was not a reviewer of this game (I'm not active anymore). I'm glad I'm on an anonymous forum, because I used to get all kinds of mail, nasty stuff, etc.

Just like movie reviews or book reviews, its important to find reviewers that match your particular taste. For all fothese media, there is a 'style' element. What is a bette movie, Casablanca, Star Wars, of the Godfather? There are personal issues involved in taste.

Any reviewer will tell you -- its more important to read the content of the review than the number at the end.

Nonetheless, the view that we are all in the pockets of major companies is overly skeptical and factually incorrect.

So, if a movie wins the Best Picture Academy Award, its no assurance that you will like the movie, and I disagree with a lot of the Academy's choices. But it DOES MEAN that a lot of professionals do like the movie.

The computer game reviewers are hard working, and take their jobs very seriously. The fact that so many professional reviewers like the game is taken very seriously by gaming executives, and they do represent (between them) a lot of the gaming populace.

As I said, you don't have to agree with them. But please take the work of these individuals seriously, and the ringing chorus of support for CIV IV is a significant event.

There is one significant difference between games and movies. In movies, there is the professional reviews, and there is the box office results. In gaming, there are professional reviews and sales. In gaming, however, there is a period afterward, where the game can be played a long time. Fan support, long-term views, etc. are more important in gaming.

For CIV IV, we clearly have outstanding reviews. It appears many people have techncal issues. We have good sales. How the gaming community feels about the game now is hard to determine.

Best wishes,

Breunor

17. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

When people keep posting that "The Game Doesn't Work!", I wonder. I didn't have any issues right out of the box. The patch was "nice", but it didn't really do anything for me.

None of my friends had any issues right out of the box.

We play (obsessive) 5+ hour games 2-3 times a week.

So, perhaps the "IT IS BROXXORED" crowd should ask themselves what they did wrong instead of just thinking the game is broken?

After all, it would be a news item worthy of the "lifestyle" section if more than a handful of people couldn't play the largest strategy game release of the year.

18. michael4000

michael4000 The Culture

Oh, are there other games?

19. ceiph

ceiph Chieftain

so i cant play normal maps with tons of civs or my comp will crash do i cry about it? no i play the small map with 4 civs and have fun, firaxis has said there in final testing of another patch to fix low end machines and than ill be able to play huge maps. but im not going to bash the game, it is in fact game of the year to me, because theres nothing better out

20. bob the builder

bob the builder Chieftain

Civ 4 is a really good game, but it does NOT deserve the game of the year title, Battlefield 2 is the game of the year.