1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 4 Sucession Game Registration Thread!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by CoolioVonHoolio, Nov 8, 2005.

1. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

Yes pholkhero, absolutely - just wasn't sure if I should be the one starting. I'm in anytime - I can play early and often for my turns. It doesn't have to be Noble level game, I will try anything if others will accept that I suck on anything above Noble in single-player games.

2. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

Return of the Quantum Monkies: A brief history of time travel. All war, every six sets, we roll dice to detirmine which era we're now in and give all civs the appropriate techs.

All parties welcome.

3. g_storrow

g_storrow Prince

I would. I am looking for a game.

4. Zophos

Zophos Greater Ape of Antics

Follow the link to the thread for the game you're interested in, and post in that thread to sign up. This is more of an announcement thread.

EDIT: Oh...I see. You're responding to Pholkhero. Never mind. Pholk, looks like you get to start PH07: Attack of the Killer Nobles. :)

5. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

DMAW02 (Deviant Minds All-War 2): The Magnficient Seven

Leader: Tokugawa of Japan
    Opponents: Stalin, Hannibal, Montezuma, Augustus, Elizabeth & Genghis Khan
    Difficulty: Monarch
    Map: Highlands, Ridgelines, Seas
    Size: Small
    Speed: Epic
    Variants:
    * Always War
    * Raging Barbs
    * No Tech Trading

Heavy-emphasis on storytelling ~ check the thread, we're looking for ONE MORE!

Follow this link to sign up!

6. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

7. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Does everyone remember this?

I've been thinking (for awhile actually), about a variant on this well-inspired theme. The difference is that when the second team is ready to play, they don't have to all play the same save. The person can individually choose which of the first team's player's save they would like to continue.

We will be playing a multi-thread concurrent succession (MTCSG) (name suggested by Frankcor)!

Instead of discussing which you think is the best game and deciding which one to play as a team, you discuss it, but ulimately choose which one you want to play individually and as part of your write-up, you can discuss the strengths of the previous play and why you decided to build on that one.

So then multiple streams could form, and various strategies that could take more then one player-round to complete could come to fruition before being abandoned/built-on. I think it would encourage people to take long-shot gambles and we would get some very creative play.

Here's an example of how play would proceed.
    Assume players A, B, C, and D are part of the first team and players M, N, O, and P are part of the second team.
    Players A, B, C, and D would play the first save, then players M, N, O, and P would be free to choose which of those player's games they would like to play. The following turn, players A, B, C, and D could choose any amongst the 2nd turn M, N, O, and P saves to play.
    After the first round,
    Player M may have liked the way player B decided upon an early war and wanted to capitilize on that by fighting an extended war.
    Player N may have liked how player C built a particular wonder and decided to build infrastruce complementary to that wonder.
    Player O may have liked how player B went to war but decided that the war has gone on long enough and wants to consolidate the position gained by player B.
    Player P may decide that he/she likes the way player D got two religions and wants to try and get a third.
    Now, after the second round, the first round of players are free to choose which of the second round of saves they want to use.
    Player A may want to continue the war begun by players B and M and now wants to continue that war even further.
    Player B may want to continue the cosolidation begun by player O and now wants to return to more war.
    Player C may like the nice plan that he/she and player N are doing in relation to their wonder and wants to keep specializing their civ that way.
    Player D may want to try and consolidate the 3rd religion gained by player P and now try and spread some missionaries.

Eventually, up to 4 different parallel worlds/stories could exist at once, but during any round, an old parallel story could collapse and a new one arise/branch from another of the existing ones.

I would like to play this on Emperor (or Monarch) depending on player interest. I think the alternative series that would begin to parallel will pretty much prevent us from being eliminated.

If Ruffhi wants to start it, i would be honoured if he would include it in the Ruff series (it is his baby after all), otherwise, i will start it myself. (EDIT: I will be starting the game myself- heck: its started- so jump on in- the water's fine)

EDIT:

So, we should try to get 8 players. A-team (i pity 'da fool!) and B-team will be determined once we fill the roster.

ROSTER:
    1. Immaculate
    2. Frankcor
    3. remconius
    4. open
    5. open
    6. open
    7. open
    8. open

Any ideas for a potential leader? I would like to try Hatsheput, but i am just throwing an idea out there. It might be a lot of fun to play a spiritual civ to allow different players to try different strategies that involve civic changes without penalizing them unfairly.

Game starts here

8. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

Sign me up! (for a multi-threaded concurrent succesion - MTCSG?)

9. remconius

remconius Deity

I'll join as well. Sounds like a fun educational challenge.

Question:
    Do the 4 players of A-team (I love it when a plan comes together) play first followed by the 4 of team B picking up their preferred save of the A-team members (Hannibal, BA, Murdoch and Face). Or do Team A and B compete against each other?

Spiritual is probably a good idea given the fact that the best civics will not be discussed but chosen by each player.

10. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

11. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Yeah, they are doing the opposite. I think it was probably inspired by Ruff's concurrent theme too. Is that right?

Nah, they pick up where team A left off. Its not really a competition, unless you are competing to make the most long-shot gambles pay off or be creative or something.

remconius is IN!

12. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

And what am I? Chopped liver? :cry: :cry: :cry:

13. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

you were already in silly.

speaking of chopped liver, did you know that haggis actually has chopped lungs in it?
    i just moved to glasgow scotland four months ago and i though that haggis was barley grain (or some grain anyway) stuffed in pig's (or lamb's) stomach, but apparently it has something to do with chopped up lung tissue to. Thats pretty gross. Lung tissue isn't meat.

14. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

Please, not while I'm eating! That sounds gross but I've eaten haggis before and it's quite good. The consistency is a bit off (hard to explain -- it's not quite like stomach lining) but the flavor is fine.

15. Cosmichail

Cosmichail Dark Lord of The Sith

Hey you think that's bad they eat horsemeat in the Netherlands.

16. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

The MTCSG-01 game is starting. I will be posting a starting position and the settings as soon as i roll them up.

click here to be sent to the thread.

17. Jet

Jet No, no, please. Please.

T1-4: Temple of Doom

Montezuma, Monarch, Oasis, Epic, Normal, Warlords 2.08 with Blake's Better AI mod.
    (Settings subject to last-minute change).
    All victories enabled, but we must win by Conquest.
    The first city must run one Priest or settled Great Prophet per non-core city.

Five players, closed - thanks all!

18. cabert

cabert Big mouth

Not really.
    It's inspired by a thread on the strategic tips forum ("fix the trash game" duh!), and we had a lot of debate to make the format effective. It was more about having experienced players solving unexpected (for them) situations and newbies seeing different ways to play.
    The hard part was not the competition (which was more friendly than competitive). It was about having a full roster with enough unexperienced players, willing to be selected as "trash game"!

19. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

oh sorry... it sort of fits with the whole succession game theme though, so please don't mind me including it in our source of inspiration.

20. cabert

cabert Big mouth

:goodjob:
    I'm not claiming any credit, and it was a good idea, worth pillaging IMHO.