• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Chrissifniotis and Duke Maynard

Which ideas did you prefer for the Bantu? We had quite a few.

Color scheme? Capital?

This was the last idea I posted:

Civilization: Bantu
Leader: Shaka
UA: Great Migration: City growth is unaffected by settler production. -33% unhappiness from number of cities.

UU1: Zimbabwe - +1:c5production:. +1 :c5happy:. +1 :c5production:from quarries. +2 defense per stone resource in city radius. +10% trade route yield. Requires Stone or Marble in city radius.

UU2: Impi: Replaces Warrior. Cost 40. Combat 6. -1 movement cost to move into enemy ZOC.

Great Colour choices there, and I wonder if that peacock could be the icon? I think the Teal and Dark Blue would work best, although I think an inversion of the other would be great for another civ, any idea which one we could use it for?

Yes, I think the Peacock would be a nice icon for them. That or another Dharmachakra. ;)

That dark blue and salmonish color reminds me the WotAW scenario's color schemes, we could use them:

(((O))) Sumer:

(((O))) Hitties:

Bantu Color Scheme ideas based upon Nigeria's and South Africa's Coat of Arms.

Spoiler :

White + Green or possible Green +Red
(((o)))

Spoiler :

Green + Brown
(((o)))

Capital ideas:

Lagos
Johannesburg
Bulawayo
Nairobi

What do you guys think?

I wrote a suggestion for a Tupi civilization. To be honest, the Tupi are somewhere near the bottom of my list, but they’re often taken into account and are one of the few possibilities to the currently empty eastern South America. Little is known about them (albeit they’re not so obscure as some may think, and had a great impact in Brazilian culture, especially in folklore, religion, language and cuisine), but I guess they can offer some interesting and unique features.

Tupi

Leader: Cunhambebe

Music Theme: Forest of the Amazon

UA: Anthropophagic Rites. Units gain 1/5 of the cultural progress (in %) toward a new social policy as a combat bonus, and double experience for killing enemies.

Notes: If you’re half way of getting a new policy, then your units have a +10% Combat. If you’re just 1 turn from getting a new policy, then your units have a bonus of almost +20%. If you just got a new policy, then your units get a negligible bonus (or no bonus at all).

Trivia: Anthropophagy is a fancy name for cannibalism, but it’s more accurate than the later due the cultural meaning it had to the Tupi; they didn’t eat their enemies (usually war captives) as a daily eating habit, but they believed that, by doing so, the strengths and knowledge of the defeated would be absorbed by them. This behavior is described by some anthropologists as a “bellic-sociological cannibalism”. War was an important element to the Tupi societies, often encouraged by a whole complex of cultural values.

UU: Tamoio Warrior. Replaces Swordsman. Does not require Iron to build. +5% combat from each Tamoio within 2 tiles who was trained in a different city.

Notes: Two Tamoios from the same different city doesn’t count for a +20% bonus. The ability is lost if the Tamoio is upgraded.

Trivia: The Tamoios (“elders” or “grandfathers” in Tupi) were a branch of the Tupinambá people, famous for assembling several tribes in a military alliance against the Portuguese and their allies. The Tamoio Confederacy imposed severe losses to the Portuguese colonizers and settlements. Eventually it had French support, but the Tamoios were ultimately defeated by the Portuguese. Cunhambebe was one of its leaders.

UI: Aldeia. Unlocks with Trapping. Must be built on Jungle, with no additional Aldeias in the adjacent tiles. Yields: +1 Production, +1 Culture; +1 Faith for every 2 adjacent Jungle tiles.

Notes: Works like a Lumber Mill in gameplay terms, but may be built in Jungle tiles and yields a small cultural and faith bonus. The faith bonus can stack up to +3 (with 6 adjacent jungle hex), but that would be rare. By preserving the Jungle, the Aldeia could yield +1 Culture from the “Sacred Path” Pantheon, and +2 Science from Universities.

Also, "Aldeia" is just Portuguese for "Village". We usually call them "Aldeia Indígena", and their huts "Ocas". I'm not sure, but I believe the Tupi name for it is "Taba". The Yanomami call it "Shabono", but they aren't Tupi-Guarani speakers.

Trivia: Most of the Brazilian Indigenous people are semi-nomadic tribes, engaged in hunting, fishing, harvesting and in incipient agricultural practices. Many tribes established themselves in temporary villages to explore the nearby jungle’s resources, developing a rich social and cultural life, as well as many mythological elements based on the surrounding nature.

Spoiler Aldeias :

Really well done! Best suggestion I have seen for the Tupi that is both original, fun to play as potentially, and not OP

I forgot about the Tupi capital, but thing is, they didn't have cities, so the Capital would depend on the kind of treatment their city-list would get . Their city-list could be made up of Brazilian cities whose names are in an indigenous language (there's a lot, but it'd need some work to find an appropriated). Alternatively, they could use the tribes/people's names, the most prominent one being the capital.

My suggestion: Tupinambá.

If I remember correctly Civ4Col defined the 'capital', or really the first 'city', as Sy Ara.

Really well done! Best suggestion I have seen for the Tupi that is both original, fun to play as potentially, and not OP

Thank you!

If I remember correctly Civ4Col defined the 'capital', or really the first 'city', as Sy Ara.

I've never played Civ 4 Col., but that's interesting.

But I really don't what "Sy Ara" was, if it was a tribe, settlement or even if it did exist. It seems it's Guarani for "Mother's day", which is a funny and odd thing .

I've never played Civ 4 Col., but that's interesting.

But I really don't what "Sy Ara" was, if it was a tribe, settlement or even if it did exist. It seems it's Guarani for "Mother's day", which is a funny and odd thing .

That's okay. I plotted Sy Ara on my original GoogleCol layers, it's there - now the region is the Brazilian state of Ceará, and the name's meaning in Tupi.

Chrissifniotis and Duke Maynard

Which ideas did you prefer for the Bantu? We had quite a few.

Color scheme? Capital?

Had to come home to reply back. ^^;

Anyway, I've had a look at the Bantu and what you suggested, and I can't think of really any other ideas. I'm okay with Bulawayo or Nairobi as a capital.

That's okay. I plotted Sy Ara on my original GoogleCol layers, it's there - now the region is the Brazilian state of Ceará, and the name's meaning in Tupi.

Wow, 'Ceara' / 'Sy ara', "mother's day", "mother of the day" or "source of light". Nice find!

Perhaps it could be used instead of "Tupinambá", given its precedence and meaning. Also, Ceará is an important place in Brazilian indigenous Romanticism.

Wow, 'Ceara' / 'Sy ara', "mother's day", "mother of the day" or "source of light". Nice find!

Perhaps it could be used instead of "Tupinambá", given its precedence and meaning. Also, Ceará is an important place in Brazilian indigenous Romanticism.

Yea, thanks. Seems to make sence to me. :p

I'd just taken the first idea given the ammount of discussion, could someone please compile a finalised copy of the suggestion? Also guys, what I'll need now is capitals (For those without) and colours (See Argentina and Brazil for examples)

Since this was orginally Duke Manyards idea, I feel a buit guilty trying to alter it now that it has been included in the list. Perhaps he should be be contacted before his idea on page one could be altered?

Here is the full Bantu idea:

Civilization: Bantu
Leader: Shaka
Capital: Bulawayo
Colour Scheme: Yellow Green and Light Tan
UA: Great Migration: City growth is unaffected by settler production. -33% unhappiness from number of cities.

UU1: Zimbabwe - +1:c5production:. +1 :c5happy:. +1 :c5production: from quarries. +2 defense per stone resource in city radius. +10% trade route yield. Requires Stone or Marble in city radius.

UU2: Impi: Replaces Warrior. Cost 40. Combat 6. -1 movement cost to move into enemy ZOC.

I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet since the Inuit have. One of the major settled cultures of North America where the Salish tribes in the Pacific Northwest.

Civilization: Salish
Leader: Si'ahl (Anglicized: Seattle)
Capital: Stuk
Color Scheme: Dark Red and Forest Green
Symbol: Northwest stylized whale.
UA: Chinook Jargon: Luxuries traded or received through trade produce gold.
UU: War Party. Replaces warrior, can embark without Optics. Can attack (melee) while embarked.
UB: Kekuli. Replaces Granary. +2 food. +1 Food and +1 Gold from Whales, Fish, and Pearls.

I know it wasn't particularly long-lasting or historically significant, but the Kingdom of Jerusalem is awesome and I just wanted to make it into a Civ. Plus, I had a cool idea for a Civ who is encouraged to fight wars by proxy and that fits rather well with Jerusalem.

Civilization: Kingdom of Jerusalem
Leader: King Baldwin IV
Capital: Jerusalem
Color Scheme: White and Gold
Symbol: Jerusalem Cross
UA: Crusader States. Conquered enemy cities may be gifted to the closest city state friend or ally, granting an influence boost.
UU: Templar Knight; Knight Replacement. Requires no strategic resources. May be "gifted" to the Barbarian faction when in neutral territory.
UI: Crusader Castle. May only be built in your territory. +50% defense :c5strength:. Tiles with Crusader Castles on them are always part of your territory.

I know it wasn't particularly long-lasting or historically significant, but the Kingdom of Jerusalem is awesome and I just wanted to make it into a Civ. Plus, I had a cool idea for a Civ who is encouraged to fight wars by proxy and that fits rather well with Jerusalem.

Civilization: Kingdom of Jerusalem
Leader: King Baldwin IV
Capital: Jerusalem
Color Scheme: White and Gold
Symbol: Jerusalem Cross
UA: Crusader States. Conquered enemy cities may be gifted to the closest city state friend or ally, granting an influence boost.
UU: Templar Knight; Knight Replacement. Requires no strategic resources. May be "gifted" to the Barbarian faction when in neutral territory.
UI: Crusader Castle. May only be built in your territory. +50% defense :c5strength:. Tiles with Crusader Castles on them are always part of your territory.

It's a cool idea, but I do have a couple of questions;
How exactly does the UA work? I'm not sure I understand the mechanism properly.
What do you mean 'gifted to the Barbarian faction'? Do you mean city-states or the actual barbs? I don't really see the utility of giving the barbs a unit.

And I see you just ignored my post about the Bandeirantes and came up with two UUs that nobody ever heard of (including me, and I'm a Brazilian, so there's something wrong here).

Although Bandeirantes would be by far the best UU for Brazil, the Impreial Honour Guard is indeed very known, although the correct name should be Dragões da Independência ( Independence Dragons)

Although Bandeirantes would be by far the best UU for Brazil, the Impreial Honour Guard is indeed very known, although the correct name should be Dragões da Independência ( Independence Dragons)

I guess they're known more for their ritualistic role as the presidential guard than for their historical significance, but still, they're better than the Pará Class Destroyers. As you said, the Bandeirantes would be far better. Actually, I'd rather those Embraer's Super Tucanos (replacing the Fighter) or the FEB's Pracinhas (replacing the WWII Infantry) over the Scottish ships.

But I don't think Brazil should get 2 UU...

I want the hitties and gran colombia.:mad::cringe::cry:

I guess they're known more for their ritualistic role as the presidential guard than for their historical significance, but still, they're better than the Pará Class Destroyers. As you said, the Bandeirantes would be far better. Actually, I'd rather those Embraer's Super Tucanos (replacing the Fighter) or the FEB's Pracinhas (replacing the WWII Infantry) over the Scottish ships.

But I don't think Brazil should get 2 UU...

But if not two UU, what else? The closest would be a Sapucaí as a replacement fro Colosseum, but I don't think it is good enough.

But if not two UU, what else? The closest would be a Sapucaí as a replacement fro Colosseum, but I don't think it is good enough.

The Sapucaí itself could replace the Circus Maximus, but a generic Sambodrome could replace the Theatre. Some examples:

This one would have a great synergy with the UA GenjiKhan proposed (Cultural boost during We love the Kind day):
UB: Sambodrome; Replaces Theatre. Costs no maintenance. + 3 Happiness; +1 Culture for every 3 Citizens in the city during “We love the King” celebrations.

Or it could replace the Opera House. The "Gold after Flight" could represent the tourism importance of the Carnival:
UB: Sambodrome; Replaces Opera House. Costs no maintenance. +2 Happiness, +4 Culture; +3 Gold after Flight is researched.

Another UB option could be a Stadium replacer. I don't like this idea because Stadiums are unlocked too late in the tech tree, but we could fix that by removing the building requirement:
UB: Soccer Stadium; Replaces Stadium. Doesn’t require a Theatre in the city. +4 Happiness; +2 Gold; -10% Unhappiness from Citizens in the city.

Finally, even an UI would be better than 2 UU:
UI: Biofuel Plant; Unlocked with Biology. Improves Wheat, Bananas, Citrus and Sugar resources. Base Yield: +1 Oil, +1 Production; additionally, each food yielded by the tile is replaced by +1 Oil and +1 Production.

Top Bottom