1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 Confirmed Features

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by bite, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EditorRex

EditorRex Master of Allusion

Modern Egyptians are a mix of ethnicities. Most Muslim Egyptians are descendants of the Arabs who conquered Egypt in medieval era. Most non-Muslims are descendants of the ancient Egyptians, though probably with a lot of Greek, Roman and even Arab genes thrown in. But it's not like the ancient people of Egypt were simply wiped out any more than the ancient Romans or Celts or Aztecs were. They simply blend in and have mingled with the descendants of those who came to their land later.

2. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Well, that'd be a good solution to me.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think this is already recognised by cIV as untill you get engineering your roads are less effective. They're more a beaten flat track rather than a paved road. The graphic certainly looks like a dirt road!

Maybe they should be less effective again. With military units moving 2 sq in ciV maybe any roads to begin with should only lift their movement to 3 sq, untill later in the game.

3. PeterWimsey

PeterWimsey Warlord

Perhaps you could build "roads" or "military roads," with "roads" being as they are now, and "military roads" costing more, taking longer, but giving better movement.

4. kochman

kochman Deity

Isn't this the "confirmed features" thread, not the "wild ass guess" thread?

5. PeterWimsey

PeterWimsey Warlord

Well, I think it's actually the "discussion of confirmed features" thread. Perhaps a somewhat wide-ranging discussion, though. :)

But that's only because we don't have any new confirmed features to sink our teeth into.:(

6. emeralddude

emeralddude Utopia?

I blame E3 for the lack of news. :(

7. Civrules

Civrules We the People

Been away for a long time.

But it's nice to see that Civ still rules!! =)

Cheers!

8. Exoma

Exoma Chieftain

No Persia, eh? Looks like I'll be waiting for Civ6 :)

9. I tech faster

I tech faster Chieftain

10. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

No full on confirmations, but it's been reported that the last two civs are Siam and Persia, their UUs being war elephants and immortals.

11. Exoma

Exoma Chieftain

I hope so!! Thanks, guys! :)

12. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

there have been a possible 3 civs sort of reported to fill the last two spots, I am waiting for better confirmation of which two they are before making them confirmed.

13. Travis898

Travis898 Warlord

the celts are mordern day irish, scottish, and english poeple not wiped out. romans are modern day italians not wiped out.
    aztecs there mixed in with spanish to form the mexicans. not wiped out.

14. Melo-Franco

Melo-Franco Warlord

The Romans are NOT modern day Italians, since several barbaric tribes were enslaved or raged in and mixed their blood with Roman heritage. The name "Barbara", for example, became usual in the Roman empire, although it has had insulting connotations at first.

The Celts were also romanized to some extent. Look at English language: it's very akin to French. Roman ancestry is everywhere in Western world.

15. EditorRex

EditorRex Master of Allusion

First, apologies to all because this is a threadjack and has jack squat to do with Civ5 confirmed details, however.... call me a history buff as I nitpick this stuff:

1) Modern Italians are descendants of many peoples, prominently including ancient residents of Italy (Latin peoples, as well as Greeks, Etruscans, etc.) and several groups that variously raided or settled in parts of Italy during the Medieval period, especially the Goths, Lombards, Arabs and (to a lesser extent) the Normans. Most Italian-Americans are from the part of Italy that had the heaviest Arab influence, FYI.
    2) The English language is NOT descended from the Celtic language of the Ancient Britons (i.e. the people of Boudicca), that would be Welsh. The English language is NOT primarily a Latin-derived "Romance" language, like French. The English language is about 60 percent derived from Germanic roots in the Anglo-Saxon language of tribes that settled or conquered areas of Britain in the early Medieval era. The Anglo-Saxons spoke dialects that were close to those of the Frisians. The Anglo-Saxon language is also known as Old English and was the dominant language of England from about 500 A.D. to around 1100 A.D. By this time, it began to evolve through contact with the dialect of French spoken by the Normans, Scandinavian colonists living in northwestern France who overthrew the Anglo-Saxon kings in 1066 A.D. Norman French became the language of government while Anglo-Saxon remained the language of the people, but as time went on, they came together over the latter part of the Middle Ages. Modern English emerged around the 1500s with the spread of printing and widely distributed works like the King James Bible and Shakespeare's plays helped to standardize the language in spelling and grammar. So there are a lot of French-derived words in English. There are even some words derived directly from Latin origins, especially those used in the sciences. But English is Germannic at its core.

It's worth keeping in mind (and now I'm going to tie it back in to Civ5) that LANGUAGE, CULTURE and GENETICS do not follow the same lines. Genetic studies show that the average person who identifies as English might be culturally English, and speak a mostly Germannic language with heavy Roman/French influence, but genetically is likely to be closer to the Celtic peoples than the other groups. And when you try to apply these ideas to Americans, they make even less sense. Remember Civ3 where American citizens looked like Native Americans? Most major civilizations, which is what this game is, are melting pots to one degree or another, whether you are talking about Americans, Victoria's British Empire, Stalin's Russia, Cyrus' Persia, Suleiman's Ottoman Empire, Augustus' Rome, Alexander's Greece, Charlemagne's HRE, or Justinian's Byzantium. The marginal and questionable inclusions are the one's whose "empires" lacked ethnic, linguistic and cultural diversity. I'm not sure what the answer is, but the game designers need to think about these things carefully if they want to achieve the right balance of playability and realism. Historically, it's only been with the advent of Nationalism that cultural identity played as prominent a role in self-identification as the political accident of who ruled the place you lived. Perhaps they should consider thinking about "Nationalism" really means and having some sort of change in the way culture and other elements function once this idea begins to spread, somewhat similar to the way emancipation works in Civ4.

16. Iván de España

Iván de España Chieftain

And Spanish, Portuguese, French, and Northern Italians too.

17. Travis898

Travis898 Warlord

Ok, Modern italians do have greek. Celts are not just the celtics of the Isles celts are also split up into Guals [france]. Ok, it doesnt matter when it comes to specefic. Ok, the point is non of this nations got wiped out. THtas the point. So sit down and stop arguing

18. Melo-Franco

Melo-Franco Warlord

EditorRex, I thank you for your rich collaboration. Since you're warning us about the menace of anachronism, I'd like to inform that I applied the word "barbaric" as it was thought by Ancient Romans (via Greek): "barbarus" means foreigner, no matter if Arab, Goth etc. Just like you argumented, every major civilization is a melting pot, hence even America has changed from a German and English-based genetic pool in order to accomodate new ethnic varieties, such as Latin American, Italian, Chinese etc. If Washington's United States of America is not Obama's, it's even more inaccurate to conceive Italy simply as a "modern Roman empire". I completely agree with you.

Iván de España, please add Arabic culture and people to the recipe when it comes to Spain and Portugal. The moors are a major contribution to the beautiful Iberia (just think of mozárabe accomplishments). It's not a coincidence if Spanish language has wonderful words like that: almohada, guarismo, naranja, rincón, almacén or ¡ole! - the last one comes directly from Allah!

19. I sorta meant that they are CULTURALY middle Eastern, I had totally forgotten about that post untill now.

EditorRex wins bonus points!

I'd like American units to be more diverse, ie. I would like to see people of all different ethnicities and people of mixed ethnicity in American units.

20. AMMK

AMMK Chieftain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.