1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[CIV 5 Issues] - The complete list

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Bug Reports' started by poncratias, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Leto

Leto Chieftain

wtf i adopted the Tradition social policy which is supposed to give you +1 food in your capital. i have no extra food in my capital. anybody else seeing this?

2. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I'm pretty sure that's not what most people are asking for. Besides, either way the developers wouldn't bother completely remaking the game at this point - too much effort for no real reason. ;)

The problem is some of the bugs and balance issues are so major as to make certain parts of the game not work (for instance the peace bug making it impossible to win by Conquest if you encounter it).

As for the more minor issues, that's kind of what the whole purpose of threads like this are. Sure the developers will patch up the minor issues as time goes on, but only if they're aware of them. That's the whole point of what threads like this are for - to make them aware of the issues so they can fix them. ;)

3. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

You might want to flick on and off the tile yield indicators, or save and reload the game. I've noticed that sometimes the tile yields don't display properly in the game, for whatever reason. Best to confirm first if it's just a visual issue, as I'm pretty sure I've always got the +1 food from Tradition myself in my few games so far.

4. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Cultural Civs should either:

1) Provide their cultural bonus to the cities to allow for border expansion

OR

2) Let the player knows that the culture they are buying is only for social policies.

5. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson King

I think it would be very beneficial for these,"Bonus for working tiles" abilities. It seems rather pointless and leads to confusion, not only to the player, but I'm sure the AI needs extra coding for it to work as well, if the AI even does it all.

For example:

If you build a Longhouse in your city it allows 1 hammer to each worked forest tile. so when you look at the map it shows only 1 hammer until you go into city view and tell a worker to work that tile, then it shows 2 hammers for the tile.

It would be a whole lot easier to just show all workable forests tiles in the city with 2 hammers at all times.

6. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Also, it may be the case he didn't even realise where the info is actually shown. Many people, including myself, expect these bonuses to be shown in the mouseover of food in the city screen. If I'm not mistaken though, the food actually gets added to the city tile, making it rather not obvious where to check. At least, this is how it is for some types of bonus - I'm not 100% sure if it applies here.

7. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Yeah, click on the city, then zoom in and there are EIGHT food at city center. But I'm just playing warlord level (my prince experiences have been excessively frustrating), and am allied with 8 or 9 city states, 2 or 3 of them food-brokering maritime types. :)

8. spoooq

spoooq Warlord

I really hope this is not by design :(

9. spoooq

spoooq Warlord

If the AI realised how good this was and competed accordingly, the market would set the price for the maritime CS.

Wild fantasy mode: Imagine if there was a global database where the prices of all games played were uploaded and tracked and used by the AI... If the MMORPGs can manage it, surely Civ can too in 2010?

10. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Information Bug:

Message pops up with "Edinburgh has allied with an unmet civilization". However, when I go into the diplomacy overview screen, I can see that Edinburgh is allied with Russia (even though I have not met Russia in the game yet). One or the other needs to be changed.

11. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

I agree with most of the things in the list. I disagree that there should be a way to build forests and jungles. And I disagree about 1UPT chokepoints, and didn't really understand how that issue is supposed to be fixed. 1UPT is one of the best things about this game. Take away that, and I really might as well just play Civ4. That's why chokepoints are called chokepoints. It's difficult to maneuver an army through, so if an enemy is guarding the other side of it, he can mow your units down 1 by 1 just like in real life. All about strategy. Also, in my experience, player civs don't always start next to each other in multiplayer. I had one game where another player was on the same continent, and one where he was on a different continent.

A huge problem is that the game seems to disconnect and certain points within a game. Like once you get to a particular turn, it will disconnect whenever you try to play no matter what. And that leads to another problem with multiplayer. If a player disconnects, all you get is a little icon on the side among the other icons. I think it's even an exclamation point, which is a generic icon used for lots of things. So a player might get disconnected, and neither of you will notice it and start playing divergent games with the AI instead of each other.

Another multiplayer issue is that the traditional Civ4 civ list appears and shows the civs and scores, but it's much larger and takes up more of the screen and there's no way to shrink it or close it. I don't think clicking a civ's name even opens up diplomacy. Plus, it shows all of the civs in the game, even the ones you haven't met or discovered.

If you're in a multiplayer game, and you click next turn and it says it's waiting for other players, it doesn't let you make anymore moves like you could in Civ4, which is stupid. So if you click next turn, you can't do anything while you wait. So if you want to make a quick diplomatic deal or decide to move a unit, or see that you forgot to bombard an enemy with your city, you're out of luck.

Another issue that I didn't see that I may have mentioned elsewhere is that when you move a unit, and it shows its multi-turn path, if you click him again after he's moved, you can't see the path anymore even though he's still following it like you could in Civ4. So it's hard to tell which units you've moved and which are following a path.

12. spoooq

spoooq Warlord

Yeah, this is horrid. I end up giving orders to troops over and over again to make sure they are doing what I want :mad:

13. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

After giving it a lot of thought, I think they should bring back the gold/science slider. It works better from a gameplay perspective because it's flexible and gives a tangible opportunity cost. The maintenance system isn't fun at all. And since there isn't much else to do with cities except build things that will add more maintenance costs, you're stuck doing exactly that.

I also think there should be foreign trade routes. I have little reason to let a civ live or be friendly with them or ever open my borders to them when I can easily take their cities. In Civ4, you could trade techs (much better than research pact), gain gold from foreign trade, and other perks. Now the only reason to be friendly with a civ is because you're afraid of them or you want to trade resources.

14. LordByron

LordByron Chieftain

I didn't read all pages but on the rocked artillery:
    it must be set in order to long range attack, but it can attack the same turn its set so its quite useful to distinguish between direct attack and longrange.

15. LumpenProle

LumpenProle Chieftain

I finally played my first game last night and was very disappointed with the bugs.

Biggest bug was when I had a rival civ hand over cities to me and I chose to keep them as puppets but the game would not advance because it wanted me to choose production for those puppets which is not possible.

Most of the other bugs are minor or mentioned already.

16. Markstar

Markstar Warlord

Was there a reason my suggestions were left out? If so, it's okay, I would just like to know. ;)

Here is another bug (imo):
    - Tiles will not be worked when they were previously worked by another city (in Civ4, they were greyed out, but now there is no indication why the AI doesn't use them).

17. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

People, this is not the place for posting bugs.

Most of the things people are complaining here already are on the "confirmed bugs" list section of the forum. Which means that they are aware of it, they have saved games to debug and see where lies the problem and they'll probably fix it in the future.

If you really wanna help, do not only post the problem here, but also a save game showing the problem and a description of the problem creating a new thread here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=390

Do a search first, to see if a topic already exists talking about the problem. If it does, you will be more helpful replying to the existant thread saying that you confirm the problem and sharing your own experience.

This thread right here is hardly official and doesn't help at all in terms of showing to the devs what the problems are, cos they need saved game files to better fix them.

18. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

When a city shrinks by 1 population, don't empty the food bar.

I just had a city grow from size 3 to 4, while on all the surrounding tiles there were only 5 food in total. Add the 2 food from the city tile, and there was only 7 food of the 8 needed to sustain a population of 4. Of course, the very turn the city grew to size 4, it shrinks again to size 3 and has to start its progress to grow to 4 all over again.
    What makes it particularly frustrating is that there was a farm ready to finish one turn later, and that if I had micromanaged that city for just one turn before it grew to 4, I would have saved around 30 food from preventing the shrinkage.

Now this problem happened in civ4 and I didn't agree with the way it worked there either.

There might be other ways to solve this annoyance that the suggestion I have made here. For example, one could introduce a rule that bans a city from growing if there is not enough food avaliable from all sources to sustain that population, but this replaces one fairly big nuisance with another.

Maybe I'm one of relatively few who would get annoyed by this, but it's definitely something that encourages micro, and in general I'm more for game mechanics that reduce the impact of micro.

Another one, this time fairly simple.....

When emphasising production :)hammers:) and building a settler, once the city has enough food tiles being worked to prevent starvation, all excess food is converted to hammers so :food: from tiles should be treated equally with :hammers:.

For example, if the game has to choose between a 3:food:1:commerce: tile and a 2:hammers:2:commerce: tile, the latter is picked even though the former would result in the settler being constructed faster. The result is that when building settlers, it is a good idea to micromanage the city and not trust the city governor to truly maximise the hammers when set to emphasise production.

19. fugazi

fugazi King

Great list, I mostly agree with all thats on there! Major thumbs up.

20. tootallbob

tootallbob Chieftain

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I have been trying to play Civilization 5 for the last week or so. I have to say honestly that this games combat and turn structure is frustrating beyond belief. It is constantly breaking away to do production orders in the middle of combat orders moving all over the field to this and do that to the point of total distraction. I'm sorry but it is driving me bonkers.