1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[CIV 5 Issues] - The complete list

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Bug Reports' started by poncratias, Sep 27, 2010.

1. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

No, you can't edit the OP directly, but that is why I suggested in my earlier post to quote the OP and then edit the quote. That can be done by anyone, with the time on their hands.

2. evrett37

evrett37 Prince

City Issue - If you overwrite or choose not to use a default city name, that name is offered again and again instead of moving further down the list. If a city is destroyed the name list returns to that point in the list and the destroyed city name is offered again.

Gameplay Issue - There is no way to reload a new game with the same settings (when say you dont like your starting area for example) without multiple exits and delays. This is particularly annoying when you run with a bunch of mods and the delay to load them again each time is long.

World Editor - There is no way to set individual specific civs starting locations.

3. Dyvim Tvar

Dyvim Tvar Chieftain

Little bug there: when I look at a puppet city, I cannot leave that screen anymore. Only way out is to use the arrows next to its name to go to one of my real cities and leave from there :)

Other than that: it is still SLOW. How did people manage to build 69+ cities? I'm currently playing huge earth map and with 30 cities in renessaince age it is SO slow. Soon I'll make a turn, go to work, come back & see if it's me again...

4. Duha

Duha Chieftain

If mode does not have localization (EN mod and FR civilization localization) Game shows mod names as : TXT_KEY_.....

Steps to reproduce:
    Install French Civilization localization (any non english).
    Download mod (for ex: City-State Diplomacy)
    Launch game

Observed result: All new elements names and civilopedia entries are shown as TXT_KEY_

Expected result:
    If mod does not have localization to current language then game should show english texts.

Thread about it.

5. (Alexandros)

(Alexandros) Pantamonium

My complaint is probably not something the developers would be willing to fix at this point, but I would like to state it here anyway just for the record and I don't want to start a new thread.

The Greek spoken by Alexander is practically awful. I am Greek and I can barely recognise most of the things Alexander says. I can pick out a few words here and there and sometimes through those words understand what Alexander is trying to say, but that's it. It's not even that he is speaking ancient Greek, which can be quite different in intonation and phraseology than modern Greek, because even then I would be able to easily recognise the words, even if I had to hear them repeatedly to recognise the entire phrase. No. It is clear that the phrases are spoken by somebody who obviously does not know the language and is simply reading some lines written in latin alphabet that mimic the sound of the equivalent greek letters.

For example: The greek word for "and" is "και" (greek alphabet). In the latin alphabet, this would be transcribed as "kai". A casual reader would pronounce this as "ka-ee", which is how Civ-Alexander pronounces it. The problem is, in greek the combination of the letters α (a) and ι (i) is a diphthong and meant to be pronounced as "e" (as in "elephant"). This is just an example to show that there is a complete lack of knowledge of the fundamentals of the language, which you can imagine what sort of phrases it produces.

This may be nit-picking I know, but I can only wonder whether this is also the case with other civs in the game who use languages that are less than well known today (i.e. any language other than English, French, German, Spanish and maybe Chinese and/or Japanese). And it is also strange to me that in the age of internet and with the resources Firaxis has at hand, was it so hard to find somebody with at least a basic knowledge of the greek language? I don't know, maybe...a Greek?

6. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I feel your pain, but don't forget that Alexander came from the half-barbarous northern country of Macedon and was only barely acknowledged as a Greek. The Athenians, the Corinthians, the Thessalians and the rest of them probably thought that he spoke the most barbarous jargon, despite a veneer of civilization imparted by his teacher Aristotle which made him try to speak "properly". ;)

7. (Alexandros)

(Alexandros) Pantamonium

:lol: Although tempting to think of it as an historical flavour touch by the developers, I am pretty certain that this is not the case. They were going for Greek and they failed! But don't worry, I am not too crushed. However this sloppiness did make me wonder about the other languages as well. Are we hearing them as they should be pronounced, or are we hearing butchered versions?

8. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

There have been complaints. Some guy posted that Augustus speaks Latin with an Italian accent. There was something wrong with one of the other langauges too, but I forget which.

9. Krieger66

Krieger66 Lord of all things necro

I can vouch for Bismarck's Deutsche, he speaks it better than my instructor(no offense to her)

10. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

Napoleon's French is pretty OK too.

11. guspasho

guspasho Prince

What accent should he speak it in?

12. Krieger66

Thats why they should've had Duce Musselini, he could speak italian with an italian accent and everyone would be happy.:cool:

oh and PieceofMind should I repost main post, or is that taken care of?

13. Krieger66

here's the 1st post:goodjob:

14. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

Presumably an accent less suggestive of an ambition to sell pizza. A somewhat less obviously Italianate pronunciation. Yes, Latin can be pronounced in different ways.

15. frenzyfol

frenzyfol Chieftain

Deluxe edition saved games are not working since the latests update.
    runtime crash

16. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

That's a good list. :)

17. lovelyfunbags

lovelyfunbags Chieftain

I couldn't see it in this list but I reckon there should be an option that lets you see the range of ranged unit and what it can actually hit without having to set it up first. I often find that I set my cannon up by moving > set up (2 moves = 1 turn), only to try and fire on the next turn and find that there is a tree or something blocking the way (that's not immediately obvious that it will block the shot). it adds to the time taken etc. and can get in the way of a carefully planned attack (especially with 1UPT).

so in short, it would be good to have a ranged unit overlay that shows how far it can shoot considering all the obstacles that could obstruct line of fire

18. Ighten

Ighten Chieftain

One issue I have is when a leaderscreen appears offering you a deal..You cant from this stage look at your own diplomacy screens etc and work out any plus /minuses to the deal without doing a goodbye first.. If you do a goodbye are you affecting anything that could effect future deals..

One thing on the lists been fixed.. savegame names now get a default name

19. Star_Fox

Star_Fox Chieftain

I don't know if this has already been mentioned. But I would like the game to zoom to the city I double click in the 'economic overview rather than seeing a city in the list I really want a closer look at, but having to close the overview panel and find that particular city in my usually vast empire by scrolling :D

-also, maybe a 'connect cities' button for workers?

-i miss the individual animations of tiles (trees ect)...CIV V seems so ...frozen.

Oh and one more thing. The Civ series has never had a boring ending like CIV V. Where the heck are the movies?

20. mikesonic

mikesonic Chieftain

Here are my advice:
    1: To avoid unnecessary micro-managing, the research overflow should be kept while the tech will be finished next turn.
    2: For same reason, redundant :) should be accumulated during golden age instead of being wasted.