1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[CIV 5 Issues] - The complete list

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Bug Reports' started by poncratias, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Joshua.V.S

Joshua.V.S Chieftain

It is annoying that they removed all the really great ideas incorporated into Civ IV Beyond the Sword. I was hoping Civ V would be so much more, but instead it was over simplified. The only thing I like about Civ V is the ranged attack. I only hope that someone will create an awesome Mod for this game, but then I read that even options for modding are more limited. It confuses my why they released a game that seems not ready for production and didn't even consider their loyal fanbase. All they needed to do was look at this civfanatics site to figure out what should be in Civ V. Better yet, why not hire on some of the modders from Civ IV who made the game so awesome.

2. Doctor Phibes

Doctor Phibes Prince

Indeed. The abiding sin would be not the use of either American or British English, it's swapping haphazardly between the two, consistency is a virtue. (A recognised principle in the English version of Wikipedia, which employs both - *but not both in the same article*.)

Having said that, I am irritated by the childish surfer d00d writing in Civ 5 Civilopedia, I can't bear to read it, but that's about bad style not nationality - I know a few Brits who witter on in a similar (but oddly different) ******** way.

3. Tamed

Tamed Warlord

Multiplayer -- I can't use the Civs I own, not even Genghis who was free to everyone. This is DEFINITELY an issue.

4. frankT

frankT Chieftain

Judas priest, what a turd of a game Civ V has become.

I've got 4GB RAM and 2 dual-core processors and it runs like maple syrup in february. I'd surely like to know what machines they tested on to think the current poor speed is acceptable.

Can't know if there are other issues at this time (although the Fisher-Price UI is crap as well) as I don't have the patience, even on a small civ map, to play a game to completion.

Oh well, back to Civ III, the last truly decent version IMHO.

5. FiveRings

FiveRings Prince

Do I need a 64-bit system, or Civ5 can run on 32?

6. kingpapawawa

kingpapawawa Chieftain

New York demands wine... i have yet to meet anyone with wine yet so how does New York even know wine exists?!

7. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

This.

Also, the AI attitude towards players should be more like cIV, so that actual friendships and alliances (et cetera, practically anything out of denouncing, war and small-scale trade) can be formed, and not just "After 100 turns, all AI:s hate you and think you are a ***hole criminal, and are best friends with each other. And really for no real reason at all!"
    The game isn't fun to play if diplomacy is exactly the same old (and stupid) thing in each and every game.

8. alpha wolf 64

alpha wolf 64 Byte me

i just finished a couple of games post patch and here are the issues that i noticed.

- if you ever assemble more than 3 units, even in your own territory or far from their nearest border, and the AI sees it via any way, you immediately get the " i see you have units near my border" comment. if you say not to worry, but even 100s of turns later attack that country, you've broken your word even tho, you werent even close to there country's borders originally.

- 2 CS want the same city destroyed. upon doing it, the message pops up that someone else has already accomplished it. seems to work fine if only 1 CS wants that CS destroyed.

- units do not immediately stop upon encountering a barbarian or enemy unit. instead, it continues on it's path which frequently uses up all of its movement and leaves it right next to an enemy.

- ICS is out of hand :( every war i fought, instead of building combat units, they were pumping out workers, settlers, or fishing boats and then sending them right out to be captured/destroyed.

- AI doesnt understand when a city cannot be defended. too many times i'd have a city one its final pts and the AI would send one of its few combat units right into the city, losing both the city and the unit the next turn.

- AI doesnt seem to understand that cannon/artillery are ranged units and not melee units. often i'd see a cannon/artillery in a besieged city but never see it fire at the attackers. archers seem to be used correctly.

- upon discovering railroad, i got messages that all my road based networks had been broken. it did not appear to actually break any of them tho.

- denounce chains are out of control. at some point in every game, a friendly nation denounces me, which starts everyone denouncing me, then then following turn, its me vs the world. nations with RAs should really hesitate to be doing this.

- there is no gratitude at all for giving cities to a country that has no cities/settlers left. (complete kill option)

- country asks me to eliminate another country, then upon doing so, considers me a warmonger.

- country warns you not to settle their lands when the land in question is right outside my city and closer to my capitol than theirs, and no where near one of their cities. when that city further expands, they get even madder.

- conquering another country quickly with result in others questioning your "expansion" if if all the conquered cities are being razed.

9. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

In a game post-patch, I played as Rome; the third ballista I built disappeared as soon as it was finished.

10. Buckeye Kid

Buckeye Kid Chieftain

I didn't read though the entire post, but there are a few items I would like to see changed in Civ 5.

There has GOT to be a balance between a SoD from Civ 4 with 100 units stacked within and 1UPT. How about a SoD that is limited to 1 type of unit per tile, so I can create a small SoD that has (for example) 1 melee (such as a swordsman or rifleman), 1 siege (catapult or cannon), 1 ranged, 1 horse (horseman or cavalry), 1 great general, and some sort of a medic unit (I'm thinking of how we used scouts / explorers in Civ 4 as medic units once properly promoted).

If we can create mini SoD I'd like to see ranged units only have 1 range, so they can only shoot at a tile that is adjacent to them. No more longbowmen shootng from London to Paris on a standard sized Earth map. You would be required to protect these archer units using the mini-SoD. Pre-modern siege shoots 1 tile (adjacent only, catapults and cannons didn't go very far), and modern seige (arty and mobile arty) could shoot further; arty was used to shell units miles and miles and miles away. Ranged combat is one of the worst things about Civ 5, I hate how I have to manuver chariots around and use archer hit and run tactics. Just let me march my little army up to my neighbor's door and start wacking away at each other. Tactical 1UPT is just as frusturating (aka annoying) as moving huge SoD.

More complex diplomacy, economics, and trade. I really liked how trade routes worked in Civ 4; it was a nice incentive to sign Open Border agreements and connect your neighbors, and your neighbor's neighbors, to a road system. A road system on a large map (such as a giant Earth map) could stretch from Madrid, Spain, through Rome (or France, or Germany), down through Greece and Turkey, over to Egypt, through Persia, through India, and end in Shanghai. THAT is a great road! Now I have 0 incentive to talk to my neighbors.

Happyness resources probably need to provide more or less happiness than just 5, that's too boring, and there is no difference between one resource and another (except Marble). Resources need to provide more than just happiness; ivory for elephant units comes to mind here; or specific buildings that require at least 1 type of resource to be within the empire ( dislike having a limited number of resources for things like iron or horses; I prefer the Civ 4 style where you just had to have at least one resource). I like how some wonders were boosted by stone, some by marble, a few by copper, and a few by other resources. Now it's just Marble or no Marble. Want to build all of the wonders? Play as Egypt and reroll until you can found your first city on Marble.

Also, tile yeilds need to be improved. I don't like how tile yeilds provide such little bonus once they are improved. I would prefer to see improved tiles yeild MUCH higher bonuses, and much more varied bonuses.

Last, but not least, we need to be able to run larger maps. MUCH larger maps. If we limit the number of units per tile, then we need more space to be able to spread out. Anyone ever try to attack a city on a 1 tile island early in the game, or on the coast with just one or two land tiles? Especially annoying if the land tiles are hills or forest and I can't shoot over them, forcing me to wheel my catapult adjacent to the city, ripe for being attacked and killed by the city defender / city bombardment. If we can't use naval bombardment until frigates then for the part of the game that usually matters the most (early and mid) we have no way to lay seige to tight costal or small island cities.

11. rf40928

rf40928 Chieftain

Graphically, the game is the best ever.. Unfortunately for this game (CIV 5 )..Previous versions of Civilization game's strengths have always been the game play - which is te most important feature of a pc strategy game.. And in this game this is not the case !

What disappoints me is the lack of user-friend editing tools...In previous games editing tools were powerful enough for what 95% of us could want and use, now its the opposite - they went and pleased the 5% who wanted more, so that the other 95% of us couldnt use the tools !!

And.. NO religion !!!! In a game ABOUT civilization how can you leave out religion, which even in today's world is as much alive as 2000 yrs ago - Religion is as much a part of the world as music, steel, nukes, and part of CULTURE ! - In FACT religion is more a part of the culture and any civilization's history.. as far as it last, where many things pass and get replaced by newer tech, religion remains !! - I can only assume they hired someone who beleives in no God and hates religion that made this decidion - otherwise removing it is totally INACCURATE of a game that includes so many accurate details !!

Another issue, Not being able to stack units is not realistic at all, in real life you dont have a platoon ( which is about 40-60 men )of men in one area - you have a company - or even a battallion - and on top of that you can have helicopters, jets above them !

12. bryanb2007

bryanb2007 Chieftain

If you set the Forest feature to have its yield be additive using a mod. The yield is additive but it does not stack properly with the additive yield from hills. Wherever a hill and a forest occur on the same tile the yield is improperly calculated.

Appears to be a bug.

Here is a link to a thread where I gave more details

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=405471

13. The_Tyrant

The_Tyrant Values Guardian

Does anyone still get the small red glitch when playing?

14. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

I can complain, on a more general basis, about the diplomatic interface, specially the "current treaties" section: all treaties are displayed as if they were to last 30 more turns, regardless of when were they signed. Information there could also be better organized, eg., ressources and relationships between civs, which both deserve, IMHO, separate entries. I guess that has been said a lot, but it is good to remind it.

15. griboomski

griboomski Chieftain

I have some question about playing multiplayer.

maby i am doing somthing wrong,but i can`t start a multiplayer game with the world map or the new "cradle of civilization maps"..

Is there some tread forum where there is som info about how to use mod in an multiplayer game?

16. midn8t

midn8t The Sundance Dog

no in civ5 they dont work it seems all the DLC stuff does not work in mutiplayer so far just like animations dont work

17. Harvestmoon

Harvestmoon Chieftain

Deleting a save game minimizes the window!
    Such a PITA.

18. sanjay_111

sanjay_111 Warlord

I have not read all the posts here, but immediately upon it's launch, I had seen many rants against the game.

Now I have played a few games post the latest patch and here are my comments:

1. First off, the game is not bad at all. It is addictive like Civ IV and indeed, if it had come as a first of a series of games and not next to Civ IV BTS with all it's patches, we would all be hailing the game as one of best creations ever. However, Civ IV BTS set such high standards that now many felt let down by Civ V. So to that extent the game is fine though noticeably below Civ IV BTS in quality of gameplay.

2. Having said this, there are serious gameplay issues that need sorting out and I hope designers are working on it. The most important thing that I want worked on is diplomacy. It is completely screwed up here and something should be done urgently. Some of the issues are listed on this last page itself but really, it should get close to where Civ IV BTS was. AI is not only completely irrational but also, they appeared to have removed all leader specific behaviors. As far as I can make out, all AI leaders behave identically.

In BTS, the leaders had distinct personalities. If I had Lincoln as my neighbor, I knew I could relax a bit since he is not inclined to be antagonistic to Gandhi or Ashoka which I played. On the other hand, if Napoleon was my next door neighbor, I knew I had to keep a minimum army ready to have a chance of avoiding war. In Civ V, whatever you do, war appears inevitable and breaks upon when you least expect it, leaders going from "friendly" to "hostile" within a matter of a few turns.

I would like the leader specific behaviors back and diplomacy reverting to what we had in BTS.

3. Having said the negative part, the positive here is the combat. Civ V has hugely improved combat and it feels much more satisfying as you have to do much more planning and scheming to win a battle rather than simply rush units and create big stacks. Hexes appear cool too.

There are other issues too, but I suppose those are minor. Perhaps the only other change I would like to see is to get more food / production / gold out of resources but that is not so important. In fact, I rather like that one resource gives as much happiness as two or more (of the same kind). It not only feels realistic but also allows skillful trading which is good. I also like that strategic resources do not allow unlimited production of units.

That is my take on it. Hope the thing about diplo is already conveyed forcefully to designers and they do something about it.

Sanjay

19. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

Bug found: Harbor doesn't always connect cities to the capital (when both are coastal cities).

20. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

Remember that both the capital and the other city need harbors and not just the city you want to connect.