Civ 6's Art Style - Do You Like It?

Do you like Civ 6's art style?

• Yes - I like Civ 6's art style can be improved

• No - I think Civ 6's art style can be improved

Results are only viewable after voting.
I mean, I think that would be amazing. :p

A painted 2D look is my personal wish for the Civ 7 Diplo Screens, actually. It would be easier to animate while simultenously looking gorgeous and perfect.

As far as the art style in Civ 6 is concerned - I love it way more than Civ 5's personally, but I can understand why one might hate it. Wish hills were actually *visible* without having to put Yield Icons on though.

For the animated leaders, Hojo, Dido, Poundmaker, Eleanor and Laurier look good enough for me. Qin, Gandhi, and the punchable face of Alexander falls below the mark imo.
Also, if there is an option to remove that horrible black background to show the "painted" leader background in full, the better. Half of that background is blocked by trade screen!

For the animated leaders, Hojo, Dido, Poundmaker, Eleanor and Laurier look good enough for me.
Agree on all of these except Eleanor. She looks like Ophelia Barbie. :p

Agree on all of these except Eleanor. She looks like Ophelia Barbie. :p
To give her the benefit of the doubt she looks better in game than the original leaked picture.

I used to think the Civ6 map was too cartoony, but at this point I don't mind it, except the issue with hills as mentioned by others. Ok, I also think the tree graphics is rather disappointing.

However, I really dislike the leader models. Except a few notable exceptions - Poundmaker is gorgeous, Hojo is very good also, and a handful of others are at least acceptable (Gorgo, Ambiorix, Chandaguptra, Cyrus) - most of them look so cartoony that it really breaks immersion in the game for me.

I agree with Kaspergm. I like the map (and mostly everything on it, like units, districts and wonders). Hills which are sometimes difficult to tell apart from flat land is one thing that I wish was improved. Also the FoW, the brown color makes the map aesthetic look cool, but its just not as easy to read compared to the Civ 5 FoW. (I end up playing with a mod to change the FoW color most games).

The leader models I dislike still. I loved the design of leaders in 5, and still prefer it over 6's leaders. Some of the leaders from 6's original release look like claymation.

To give her the benefit of the doubt she looks better in game than the original leaked picture.
Where can I see the leaked picture? I seem to remember only Kupe being leaked but not Eleanor

Where can I see the leaked picture? I seem to remember only Kupe being leaked but not Eleanor

Leaks.jpg

Here you go and enjoy. May I add that leaked Kupe's face looks absolutely terrible?

Last edited:
I like Civ VI's art style as a whole, and when it comes to leader models, I like the more exaggerated portrayals (sometimes), but I must say that it's certainly had a few missteps.

I'm not a huge fan of most of the Tech and Civic icons, since they can end up feeling a little bland. The strange contrast between the size of your cities, houses, and terrain's puny size when put up against your inexplicably gargantuan units is also... kinda distracting if you look at it for too long.

And while I like a lot of the little touches of personality and attention to detail the leaders get, sometimes they just don't work for me. Notable examples being Alexander's weird face (his unfriendly stance really highlights this), Trajan's face (it's the tiny chin, promo art makes him look ridiculous), and Philip of Spain's bumbling stupidity in his denounce animation. I get it, some people might actually find Philip's demeanor humorous, but I don't know man- he's that same cartoonish exaggeration of "HERETIC THIS! HERETIC THAT!" It might have been realistic but I'm not so sure about one of the prominent Christian leaders being portrayed as an intolerant bigot with a short temper. :undecide:

But I like her look better than Victoria. At least Eleanor looks lovely
TBH I'm not fond of either design. If they wanted Eleanor to look like she stepped out of a Pre-Raphaelite painting (of which I'd approve), they could have at least given her red hair and a more prominent nose.

Philip of Spain's bumbling stupidity in his denounce animation. I get it, some people might actually find Philip's demeanor humorous, but I don't know man- he's that same cartoonish exaggeration of "HERETIC THIS! HERETIC THAT!" It might have been realistic but I'm not so sure about one of the prominent Christian leaders being portrayed as an intolerant bigot with a short temper. :undecide:
It's not realistic. Philip II was actually a very quiet, reserved individual who was diagnosed with "melancholy" (i.e., depression). I find his "Cyrano de Bergerac played by Antonio Banderas" gimmick rather weird TBH. I'm sure the heresy thing is meant to be a reference to the Spanish Inquisition. Both Isabella and Philip were capable of being intolerant even by the standards of their own time--forced conversions, expulsions, and other excesses of the Inquisition were regarded with horror in much of Europe--but both of them were also capable of surprising leniency. For instance, Isabella and Philip both frequently reprimanded conquistadors and called for better treatment of the indigenous peoples of the Americas (it's hard to evangelize someone after you've brutalized them). I love Civ6's style overall, especially the leaders, but Philip II was poorly done. If they wanted a swaggering, rakish cavalier they should have chosen Charles I for England (wow, I'd love to see how that would go over :p ).

Even the representation of Phllip of Spain is pretty inaccurate since He was fair blonde haired

(In fact.. the Spain Civ design is a nonsense.. an absurd civ icon .. including cities like Oran or Havana (why not Brussels or Lisbon ?) and keeping Granada as a Civ State.. )

Even the representation of Phllip of Spain is pretty inaccurate since He was fair blonde haired
Pedro also had auburn hair. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the lighting engine or the personal preferences of the developers, but Civ6 exhibits quite a few cases where leaders' hair has been darkened. Barbarossa was the only leader portrayed with red hair until Ambiorix was added (and frankly both look horrible--red hair is not fire engine red), and Eleanor is alone with bright blond hair (Alex's hair is dirty blond and Hardrada is closer to brown).

(In fact.. the Spain Civ design is a nonsense.. an absurd civ icon .. including cities like Oran or Havana (why not Brussels or Lisbon ?) and keeping Granada as a Civ State.. )
Granada was actually on Spain's city list at launch, but it was removed when Granada was made a city-state.

I can understand removing cities like Havana and Manila but why would you add in Brussels or Lisbon to Spain's city list?

And is anything wrong with the Osborne bull in particular? I mean it is a symbol of Spain. To me it makes more sense than the Civ 5 icon.

Sure it's not the best icon but I wouldn't call it absurd. Though I do agree that basing the icon off of the castle found in the flag of Castille, and the current coat of arms, would be better.

Sure it's not the best icon but I wouldn't call it absurd. Though I do agree that basing the icon off of the castle found in the flag of Castille, and the current coat of arms, would be better.
That would be pretty cool to see.

I can understand removing cities like Havana and Manila but why would you add in Brussels or Lisbon to Spain's city list?

All those cities belonged to the Spanish Empire at the time ... I just say why Havana & Manila are in the list and the others not ... what's the criteria?

And that's odd that Spain is the only one case (for "modern countries" obviously) which city list includes cities that do no belong to the country nowadays ... there is not Victoria's Hong Kong nor Trajan's Jerusalem

is anything wrong with the Osborne bull in particular? I mean it is a symbol of Spain. To me it makes more sense than the Civ 5 icon.

Well.. it is just a ROAD ADVERTISING BANNER

Last edited:
Top Bottom