Civ choice collision

TartanWarlord

Chieftain
One interesting aspect of age transition forcing a switch of civ, and it not being limited to a single civ progression line is the possibility of choice collision. This isn't an issue at game start, but at each transition, more than 1 civ can meet the criteria for a certain target civ.

The easiest example I can think of based on current knowledge would be 2 civs that end up with 3 horses and meet the Mongolia criteria. Does the game limit someone's choice or does the game allow two (more than 2) Mongolian civs with different leaders?

Has this been discussed/alluded to/answered? I personally think it would be interesting to end up with multiple versions of a single civ (may the best Mongolian leader win).

You can have multiple instances of civs. This is apparently in part, a bone thrown to the Multiplayer community, and also probably a way of solving the issue you bring up.

There really aren't any details about how the Age transition works, aside from the brief footage of choosing Legacy Traits. The previewers didn't get to play that far, and the devs are tight-lipped about anything past the Antiquity Age.
15 hours till we get a bit of illumination on it though right? Think I saw it written somewhere that part of the presentation will touch on what carries over between ages.

15 hours till we get a bit of illumination on it though right? Think I saw it written somewhere that part of the presentation will touch on what carries over between ages.
We'll see, but my guess is that they will only elaborate on those things they've already talked about, and probably not anything later in the game.

Let's be real, the AI will have 1 predestined, probably exclusive path that they will run for each leader / Civ and probably ensure that there are no duplicates. Most definitely following that "Historical Choice" recommendation

Then if you have duplicates it'd be You and a Civilisation you chose to copy

Let's be real, the AI will have 1 predestined, probably exclusive path that they will run for each leader / Civ and probably ensure that there are no duplicates. Most definitely following that "Historical Choice" recommendation

Then if you have duplicates it'd be You and a Civilisation you chose to copy
Well hopefully that is removable, I’d like the option of an AI Maya that became Mongol, but only if no one else did (unless all of their options are duplicates)

The fact we know there are civ's (Egypt) with a "most historical" choice (Abbasids) and alternate "vaguely related" choices (Shongai) points out to dev's having taken this into account, providing at least one alternate so in case of conflict an AI civ has somewhere else to go.
I'm positive in SP the player will select first. In MP, i think either selection will be based in score, or duplicates will be allowed (as/if they are allowed as well at game start)

thinking one step ahead , if 2 same civs exist do they get events ? do they have to fight or can they reconcile and merge together?

Having multiple versions of the same civ has been possible, but not enabled by default, since at least Civ4. I was reading a Civ4 story a few weeks ago where the AI successfully snuck up on the human player, because there were two Americas in the game, and the player/story author thought the Americans who were approaching were the ones he was allied with and thus didn't react to them, but it was actually the other Americans, and they invaded his unprepared cities.

Which is a good example of why I suspect this will continue to not be enabled by default - it's confusing. And it could be more than two - what if you have a civ with the "default historical Mongol" choice, another with the "alternate historical Mongol" choice, and another one (or more) with the "lots of cavalry Mongol " choice?

I am curious to see how the selection process will work. The player selecting first in single player would make sense, but there has to be a way or ordering it for multiplayer.

Not without civil war, no.... which isn't what this culture swap mechanic is representing at all anyway...
I hope in future DLC's this Era progression adds a mechanic for civil war/empire breakup during the crises.

I figure for singleplayer games they just let the player have first pick and then the AI each picks a civ and it doesn't allow for duplicates. In multiplayer there would either be allowed duplicates or players take turns picking civs. Maybe you get to pick according to your score at the end of the age. Heck, it could even be a rule that you could turn off or on.

There are quite some simple choices for the problem mentioned in the OP.
Most likely the player will get the first choice (as that is the most fun), and then the civs will go in some type of order. Either turn order, or by points, or by reverse point order (as that would be a likely part of a rubber-banding mechanism). There will probably be a salvaging option to pick random if all choices have been taken already.
They might also try to run an algorithm to ensure that each civ gets the most suitable choice from the ones available, but that would get computationally infeasible rather fast with many civs.

Player gets first choice, the ai will work around the player choice, but I'm still not clear how that works in multiplayer. They didn't address multiplayer civ choosing in the PAX.

Most likely the player will get the first choice (as that is the most fun), and then the civs will go in some type of order. Either turn order, or by points, or by reverse point order (as that would be a likely part of a rubber-banding mechanism). There will probably be a salvaging option to pick random if all choices have been taken already.
They might also try to run an algorithm to ensure that each civ gets the most suitable choice from the ones available, but that would get computationally infeasible rather fast with many civs.

At PAX today, Ed confirmed that in single player, the human player always gets first choice of civs.

Top Bottom