1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ Design Challange VIII: Fictionland

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by SonOfGreatKoya, Jul 13, 2016.

1. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

Okay, well, uh, what are the conditions for a new prompt? Not sure how broad or narrow I can be, 'Elder Scrolls' or 'Medieval-style High Fantasy', etc...

2. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

I'd expect based on the first prompt the latter would be preferrable

3. Arison

Arison Eagerly awaiting Ragnarok

Yeah, do something broader than a specific fictional 'verse.

4. senshidenshi

But if I make it too broad there's no challenge...

5. Arison

Then focus it a little. I think that this thread is going to reuse quite a lot of old challenges because it can be done.

6. senshidenshi

Fine, uh...

Low Fantasy

Have fun!

7. Arison

I can do fantasy

I think

8. TheSuperDodo

TheSuperDodo Unsettler

As my signature might point out, we've landed in the territory of one of my favourite Video Game series.
    I dunno if this civilization even works, but I had fun making it so oh well.

9. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

Can I do Walking Dead

10. TheSuperDodo

TheSuperDodo Unsettler

I'd say you should keep the Walking Dead for a Post-Apocalypse prompt.

11. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

What do you mean by "low fantasy"?

12. senshidenshi

Low fantasy basically means it's a fantasy story set in a world where fantasy elements are not supposed to occur. Whether it's a fictional world or Earth, it's basically supposed to play by our rules. On the flipside, high fantasy stories typically take place in a fantastical setting. Whenever fantasy elements invade a story that's set on, say, Earth, it's probably low fantasy.

I'd heavily argue that Fire Emblem is high fantasy rather than low, due to it being in a fictitious setting with magic in the mainstream, and the existence of creatures such as manaketes.
    Also Valm is clearly superior to Regna Ferox

I'd say it technically fits, but I'd probably need someone a bit more pedantic to confirm.

13. TheSuperDodo

TheSuperDodo Unsettler

I'm going to use TV Tropes' explanation of why Fire Emblem is low fantasy:
    But if you think Fire Emblem doesn't apply, it's okay. I'll just use this civ for a later prompt :)
    Also you're probably right but I can't think of a good Valm design

14. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

:c5war: The Sanctuary :c5war:
    :c5capital: The Factory
    Negan

UA: Something to Fear
    Upon first encountering a unit of each major civilization, it takes damage and you gain :c5gold: gold based on its :c5strength: strength. Demanding tribute from :c5citystate: city-states adds influence instead of detracting it.

UU: Savior
    Replaces warrior. +50% :c5strength: Combat strength against barbarians, and barbarians do not ZOC. +50% Effectiveness when demanding tribute from :c5citystate: city-states after earning first promotion.

UI: Wall of Walkers
    Unlocked at bronze working. One may be built for each barbarian killed by your civilization and each enemy unit killed on another WoW. Enemy units ending a turn on a Wall of Walkers lose 50 :c5plus: HP, and the tile counts as rough terrain and ZOC for enemies.

15. Arison

I'm waiting for the Roarhaven under Vaurien Scapegrace or Ireland under Eachan Meritorious.

16. Arison

In case people don't understand low fantasy, it is any sort of fantastical tale set in the real world. Anything other than that is stepping into high fantasy. Even Keys to the Kingdom or anything from Rick Riordan's mythological books would be considered high fantasy containing our world rather than low fantasy.

Fire Emblem is high fantasy as it occurs in another world, where magic exists and legendary creatures are merely rare, like the Sumatran rhino. Harry Potter is low fantasy as it is magic that exists in our world. Lord of the Rings is high fantasy as it occurs in another world, where magic exists and legendary creatures are merely rare but still real. Skulduggery Pleasant is low fantasy as it is magic in the real world.

A very easy way to tell if you are in low fantasy is if magic is kept secret. If the majority of the population believe that magic exists and know it, then it's probably high fantasy. If it's in the real world, then it's probably low fantasy. If it's in a fictional world, it's probably high fantasy.

Hope this helps people.

17. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

My second idea after Negan was gonna be Rufus Scrimgoeur over the Ministry of Magic, if anyone's flush for ideas

18. Arison

You could also do Hogwarts under Dumbledore or Umbridge, the Elders under Isis and Osiris or the Lower Elements Police under Julius Root. For anyone who wants to go seriously weird Preacher is classed as low fantasy.

19. Arison

Walking Dead can be classified as low fantasy, as it exists in our world, but has non-real-world elements. Truthfully, it's a post-apocalyptic story setting, but it can be defined as a low fantastic post-apocalyptic story because the zombies aren't caused by an actual pathogen, but rather by 'something everyone already has' that activates after death to reanimate the body. Could be magic, so able to be stretched to say it's low fantasy.

20. Troller0001

Troller0001 I've anxiously awaited your arrival!

Just to be sure, something such as the Portal franchise would qualify as low fantasy right?