Civ Design Challange VIII: Fictionland

Since Senshi's not going to post a challenge (he's told me he doesn't want to) here's one for you guys to try:

Dino based Fiction

Basically, anything that has dinosaurs or ice aged creatures in it.

(Looking forwards to the Jurassic Park/Dinotopia showdown)

I've had this 'general idea' of this kind of UA for a while now, but I'm not sure how it turned out now

Jurassic Park (John Hammond)
Capital: Isla Numblar
UA: Amber Excavation: Archaeologists are :c5production: trained 50% faster. Antiquity Sites provide a new resource called Amber upon being excavated. Hidden Antiquity Sites may provide 2 Amber instead of one upon being excavated. Ancient ruins provide a 20% chance of providing an Amber upon looting them. Ambers may be placed in :c5science: Science buildings, which causes a Barbarian Dinosaur* to be produced and placed on an empty tile within an (Electric) Fence if one is available**; The Amber will be consumed upon doing so.

UI: Fence/Electric Fence (Unlocked at Trapping or Electricity respectively; Build-able in neutral and friendly territory): Damages (non-trade) enemy units that are stationed on top of them (10HP/40HP per turn respectively). When built in a loop, the (Electric) Fence forms an exhibit, allowing Dinosaurs to be placed within it.
Tiles within an exhibit yield +2 :tourism: Tourism, +3 :c5culture: Culture, and +2 :c5science: Science, when a Dinosaur is stationed on top of them. If any Fence of an exhibit is pillaged, it allows the Dinosaurs to escape the exhibit.

UU: Electric Tour Vehicle (replaces the Caravan): Has only 75% of the range of a normal Caravan, but provides as small burst of :c5culture: Culture (that scales with Era and Gamespeed) whenever it ends its turn adjacent to or in an exhibit, as well as a :tourism: 10% Tourism boost to the target Civilization (max. 30% per Civilization). When sent out from a city with the National Visitor Centre, both bonuses are doubled.

Spoiler Dinosaurs :

NOTE: Early era :c5science: science buildings will produce Dinosaurs way slower than later era :c5science: science buildings.
NOTE2: Different type of Dinosaurs will not be placed within the same exhibit.
NOTE3: If no tile is available, it will wait until one is available. While 'in queue', new Ambers cannot be researched/placed

All Dinosaurs do not receive the 'Bonus vs Barbarians'-penalty, have a sight range of 2, have :c5moves: 4 movement points, and gain a :c5strength: combat strength equal to the :c5strength: combat strength of the average discovered military unit.
Tyrannosaurus: +40% :c5strength: combat strength; 50% :c5moves: movement penalty;
Velociraptor: +25% :c5strength: combat strength when adjacent to another Velociraptor. +25% :c5moves: movement points
Dilophosaurus: Spits venom when attacking and defending, reducing the unit's sight range and :c5moves: movement points to 1 the next turn.
Branchiosaurus: +3 Sight; :c5moves: 25% movement penalty;
Triceratops: +25% :c5strength: combat strength; May only defend.
Gallimimus: +100% :c5moves: movement points.
Parasaurlophus: +15% :c5strength: combat strength when adjacent to another Parasaurlophus; +15% :c5strength: general combat Strength; May only defend.
(pretty much every dinosaur that appears in the movie)

Obviously a civ that focuses on a Cultural Victory. And probably a (too) complicated Civ as well. That being said, that is quite normal for my designs (as well as bad wording)
A cheesy method could be to make exhibits next to enemy borders, place a Dinosaur in them, and then pillage one of the Fences so its set free in their territory.

Last edited:
The Yilanè (Enge) (Harry Harrison's Eden trilogy)
Start Bias: Jungle
Capital: Alpèasak
UA: Daughters Of Life
Upon discovering a Technology, a random tile near each of your Cities generates +1 Food. Buildings that produce Food generate double that amount of Food after Biology is researched.
UU: Uruketo (replaces Submarine)
While substantially weaker than the Submarine it replaces, it is available at Navigation and does not require any Resources. It may also be expended to generate an Eisekol Bonus Resource on a Coastal Tile in your territory, which grants a yield of +2 Food and +2 Production, and may be improved by Fishing Boats. Upgrades as normal.
UB: Tree-City (replaces Granary)
Standard Granary bonuses. +2 Culture from Forest Tiles.

:c5strength: The Voth :c5strength:
:c5capital: City Ship
Odala

UA: Doctrine
+15% :c5strength: combat bonus against civilizations whose settler spawned on a different terrain from yours. +15% :tourism: tourism against those who started on the same. Unearthing artifacts causes one turn of :c5angry: resistance in the nearest city but provides a free :c5science: technology of your choice.

UU: Dankanasaur
Replaces landship. Available at replaceable parts. Receives "Sauris" promotion and ignores rough terrain.

UU: Furiadon
Replaces rocket artillery. Available at electronics. Receives "Sauris" promotion but -1 range.

Spoiler :
"Sauris": Unit requires no strategic resources. +1 :c5moves: movement, ignores ZOC, and is allowed to fortify. Enemies suffer 20% "Dino Terror" penalty when melee attacking.

Last edited:
Welp, I have this design, but I feel like I'm really stretching the term "dino - based fiction", so tell me if I took too much liberties with this design...

Cybran Nation (Dr. Gustaf Brackman)
UA: Pax Robotica
Upon completing a unit, gain :c5science: science equal to its cost. Civilian units have :c5strength: combat strength (increasing with certain techs) and grant the nearest city :c5production: production when fighting the closer they are to it.

UU: Cybernosaurus Rex
Replaces the GDR. Faster, at 5 :c5moves: movement points, and further differentiates itself from it by not requiring uranium and having only 120 :c5strength: strength. It has the "Dinosaur" promotion, granting it a 50% bonus when attacking non - armored targets.

UB: Proto - Brain complex
Replaces the Laboratory. Instead of the usual bonus, it grants :c5science: science equal to each citizen in the city, and costs no maintenance. the first complex built grants a free, instant great scientist, and all of them grant +2 :c5science: on :c5greatperson: GP improvements (doubled for :c5science: academies).

4 designs already! Do we start the vote

I'm actually going to vote for Troller's Jurrasic Park. It seems fun and I'd like to see a culture victory purely from filling the map with dinosaurs.

Man, I really like all the other designs that were posted, which make it hard to choose...
But in the end I'm going for... insert drum-roll here... inthesomeday's The Voth!

Top Bottom