1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ Discussion.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Goonie, Jan 30, 2003.

1. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

We will probably also have to name a second choice so we should be prepared to do that.

2. Mark Phisher

Mark Phisher Chieftain

As much as I am new to these demogames, I have a decent idea of how they work. By the way, I like China the most. Militaristic=Leaders, Industrious=Lots of Good Stuff, Riders=Quicker Knights

Militaristic+Industrious+Riders=Excellent
    Militaristic+Industrious+Riders=China

3. WildFire

WildFire amour

Do you think that TF could make this an announcement? So that even the Off Topic posters could see it (not that they would care ;) )

4. Immortal

Immortal Chieftain

Forgive me if I dont want some OT posters wandering their way in here... :lol:

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Systems of Vekta
    :lol:

anyway, sticking to the topic :). Arabia and China IMO are good canidates for expantion :).

6. donsig

China did get some decent support in our original discussion thread. I wouldn't mind playing China. Do any of the new PTW civs have the same traits as China?

7. Veera Anlai

Veera Anlai Southern Belle

There are only three things of that matter when choosing a civilization: Unique Unit, Traits, and Golden Age. Anything else is just aesthetics.
    A golden age is something we won't have much control over in an MP game, so I think we can safely count that out...
    That leaves Unique Unit and Traits. If we want to choose the best nation, I believe we should discuss which traits we *really* want, then choose the civilization with the best civ from among those.
    Alternatively, we could pick something cool, in which case I suggest France or Egypt ^_^

Honestly, Militaristic civilizations just don't tickle my fancy. Industrious is my preferred trait, followed by Religious or Commercial. The bonuses from workers help to get an infrastructure in place quickly, while Religious/Commercial both help the economy by decreasing build costs/upkeep for many buildings. The Musketeers are one of the better Unique Units out there. As such, I would *heavily* support choosing France as our Civilization. I think Joan of Arc could kick some serious posterior! :ninja:

8. donsig

France has many benefits, as do Germany and Spain. But I think there is a distinct possibility we'll get our second choice should we choose any of these three. We should be prepared for that eventuallity. Choosing the traits we want first is an excellent way to narrow the field. That said, I would not discount the military trait. No doubt we will be faced with teams who have a military bent. No matter which civ we play we'll have to be prepared - especially since we may well be playing on a small map.

9. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Chieftain

Yeah, in this game I particularly want Military for one reason: we're playing against humans. And there is one major difference between humans and AI: humans are irrational. I have no doubt that at least one enemy nation will be hell-bent on rolling over everyone else. If this happens, we'll ned Militaristic to defend ourselves.

10. donsig

11. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

I'm im support of both Persia and Carthage. Industrious rocks!

12. Mark Phisher

Mark Phisher Chieftain

As much as I myself am not a warmonger in singleplayer, I like to have militaristic as a trait, because even if I am going to keep a relatively small army, I want it elite.

13. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

1) Japan
    2) France
    3) Celts
    4) China
    5) Vikings

14. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

I have a feeling that ALL teams are going to be bent on destruction. Since reputation wont really matter as much with human players, nukes, ROP abuses and broken deals will be twice as common. Remember these teams will be harder that Deity. That argues in favour of Militaristic.

I dont know very much about PTW civs, but we should pick a play style, and pick the best civ for that style. Will we go for a late war, or and early war? Are we going to be tech traders, or are we going to buy our technology? Lets decide how we are going to play, and win, the game, then pick a civ to go with that Style.

15. Veera Anlai

Veera Anlai Southern Belle

I would suggest we avoid relying on our human comrades for tech trading. That's a very dicy proposal that could kill us before we even begin.

16. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

Here's my two cents:

I've only played PTW a few times, and when I did, I thought that the Ottomans kicked some serious (Fill in the blank). However, being stuck with the origional has still narrowed my choices thusly:

1.) Germany
    2.) Japan
    3.) Ottoman
    4.) Babylon
    5.) Persia

I think that the two skills that will pay off for us the most are scientific and Militaristic. Sci for the fact that we can rely on ourselves for science; militiristic for a proper defense against those pesky attacks that may come our way.
    The list is just my favorite nations to play w/ the Ottomans thrown in (because I don't have PTW yet).

17. donsig

Is the deadline for choosing civs today?!? :confused: