1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ Ideas & Suggestions Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Camikaze, Oct 17, 2010.

1. m15a

m15a Emperor

Nobody intentionally kills their units by entering mountain tiles, so there's no need to model that occurrence. The only times a player's unit dies as a result of being on the mountain tile are when the player doesn't realize that the unit has already been damaged to 50 HP or lower, or the player automates a movement that takes multiple turns and the pathfinding algorithm decided to stop on the mountain when it doesn't have to, or the player is blocked from non-mountain tiles by other units (possibly friendly AI units). Those aren't models of real world occurrences - they're just negative consequences of how the game is designed. Since deserts are wider than mountain ranges, there would also be the chance that the player sends out a scout to unexplored territory and finds that it is all desert - that is something that could occur in the real world, but IMO modeling that rare occurrence does not compensate for accidentally losing a unit because the AI or pathfinding is dumb or you forgot to check your HP.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

In the England video we saw that the ancient era naval units are galleys and quadriremes. It made me wonder why they moved away from the trireme as the standard ancient era naval unit.

I think I figured it out. Pericles. We "know" he is the leader of Greece. He was the leader of Athens during the height of its naval power. And Athens' naval power was vested in triremes. I bet it is either the UU of Greece or Pericles' leader bonus UU.

3. KingDynamo

KingDynamo Doctor of Skulkery

m15a, I have no idea how anything you've said has anything to do with the part of my post that you've quoted. Why you are discussing mountain tile rules when I'm proposing an idea for desert tiles is beyond me.

(A side note: My rule was stated to be about CIVILIAN units only. Scouts won't even be damaged in deserts as per my rule, as they are MILITARY units.)

4. m15a

m15a Emperor

What I'm saying is that the same applies to desert tiles. I didn't realize you were exclusively talking about civilian units, though. Sorry. But considering that, I would prefer that "deep desert" tiles (let's say desert tiles not adjacent to non-desert tiles or friendly territory) are just impassable to civilian units. That would prevent the issue accidentally killing your civilian units because they chose the wrong path or because you didn't see they had damage. And it would prevent the annoying need to heal units for several turns just because they stopped in desert.

My point still stands that no one would intentionally kill their civilian units to cross the desert. So the punishing a player for doing so does not need to be modeled.

5. poundjd

poundjd Warlord Supporter

That's a great idea, but at some point, communications will prevent them not knowing.

6. KingDynamo

KingDynamo Doctor of Skulkery

I guess you use multi-turn movements a lot. I can understand the annoyance that would come from accidentally losing units then. I personally think it's a bad habit to queue up multi-turn movements through unverified/unsafe territory, but I can imagine that a lot of players use this function so it'd be bad to penalise them as such.

The reason I am proposing to have the option of going into desert with damage penalty is to allow players to cut through kind-of-big deserts directly. By adjusting the damage you can control how big of a desert players can traverse directly through. With 34HP dmg/turn a unit will be able to run through 5 desert tiles and make it on the other side alive. If the player doesn't want to go all the way around the edge of the desert, this will give them a quicker option to get to the other side. In order to prevent accidental loss of units, you could tweak the auto-route algorithm to avoid going into deserts entirely. Back in Civ 3 (and 4 iirc) the system was like this with pre-Columbian vessels. Multi-turn movements would be unavailable for movements into deep sea; the player needs to manually move ships into deep sea (and risk sinking).

Regardless of the exact details, I guess the essence of what I'm proposing is simply making it more difficult to traverse through deserts. The devs - if they decide to listen to me - can decide on the exact details.

7. SMA333M

SMA333M Warlord

Some ideas:

1. I was playing Civilization 5 and Xcom 2 these days and it made me think that units in Civ should have an option like Overwatch in Xcom. Those of you who played Xcom know what I mean. But I will explain how I see this in Civ:

I called it "Defense Mode" and every combat unit should have this option. So, Defense Mode should use 1 movement, therefore, you can move your unit and then, when it has 1 movement left, put it on defense mode for the rest of the turn. This should do the same thing as Overwatch in Xcom but also, the same thing as Interception for Fighters. If during AI turn, an enemy enters its area of protection, the unit with defense mode should attack automatically. This includes melee units and they should not get any damage.

2. Political Asylum. ... I like to play with that option when a civ needs to lose all units to be destroyed (not just all cities). So I was thinking, what if leaders could ask for political asylum when all their cities are lost? Of course, they should have a limited time (like 3 turns) to get it. Once they get it, that means they can come back sooner or later. Like, you can build a city for them, you can conquer one and give it to them or just liberate their own cities, Or maybe someone else can do it. Once they are back, this should give you a big boost in diplomacy with them and of course, you should be able to make an defense alliance with them if needed. This can be helpful if you don't want or you can't expand more so you want to have him as your neighbour, not the empire that conquered his cities. Also maybe a good way to win diplomatic victory or other things (like a friend or a trade partner).

3. Trade Agreements It's annoying for me that you can't make other civs to trade with you instead of others. So I was thinking that making a trade agreement that give a +10% boost to all trade with that civ, could help this.

4. Unit skills. I wrote about this before. I think right now it's too much micromanagement to build cruise missiles so what if the units that can carry them (like the missile cruiser) could have a skill to fire a cruise missile every turn (or every 2-3 turns)? This could make things easier. You would not need to build cruise missiles and move them around anymore... and this can make a new ground unit too: missile launcher, but not as an artillery unit... more like a ground transport for missiles (like a SCUD launcher) that can fire a cruise missile every 2-3 turns.

5. Economic victory ... just like the name says, the civilization with the biggest income, the highest number of trade routes and resources (maybe corporations too if they will get back in the game) wins. Maybe the one who has 51% of the world economy or something...

These ideas for now...

8. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

It should be Enterprise Class... after all, The USS Enterprise was the first Nuclear (modern) Aircraft Carrier. Of course, I am biased... I was on the Enterprise! :p

9. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

10. SMA333M

SMA333M Warlord

I wrote that idea for Civilization 5... funny, they moved the entire thread here.

They didn't add another Carrier in the game but they improved the upgrades for it, which was still great. Maybe we will see a second Carrier in Civ 6. I really don't see why not. Having more units is always good and having a modern one actually makes sense, just like you have Submarine and Nuclear Submarine. So I still want a Modern Carrier. But nah, it should be like a newer one... Nimitz, Gerald R. Ford or maybe even like the new chinese carrier.

Carriers are really useful if you use a lot of airplanes (like me) so they should not be neglected in Civ.

And if they want more "future age units", instead of adding robots and sci fi units (like in Civ 5... which I never used - I removed them with a mod), they could add Stealth Fighter (as an upgrade for Jet fighter, something like F22/F35 or chinese/russian similar fighter) and a Drone Bomber (something like this: http://www.northropgrumman.com/Photos/pgL_UC-10028_039.jpg) which could be an upgrade for Stealth Bomber - a little more powerful and most important: you should be able to use it from a Carrier (something you can't do with Stealth Bombers).

Also Satellite as unit would be interesting. Just for spying... so let's say you want to see your enemy's units position... you just move your satellite there and it should reveal a big area of the map (maybe for a cost in gold or espionage points).

11. Entropy Engine

Entropy Engine Chieftain

During the later eras, likely from an appropriate tech, Icebreaker units should become available for production so that icebound pieces of land with resources could be reached and taken advantage of at some point during the game. It would also be nice to uncover ocean resources that are unreachable and it may even have tactical military uses.

Please consider this for Beyond Earth as well! That was actually what I was playing when I first had the idea. :)

12. In4ser

In4ser Chieftain

Firaxis should remove the sword from Qin Emperor's character model. First the sword design is based off Qing Dynasty design[1], instead of Qin design[2] which is a difference of roughly 1,800 years. Second, the Yi Zheng was born a king who later became emperor through the use of his advisors and generals. He himself was never a general and never participated on the battlefield and in fact most depictions of him do not include a sword.

Qing Dynasty (221 to 206 BC) Sword [1]: http://i.imgur.com/xn3zk6D.jpg
    Qin Dynasty (1644–1912 AD) Sword [2]: http://i.imgur.com/RNc1D5t.jpg

13. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

At game start it would be cool if I can pick me not only the Civ
    but also the leader with his UA
    and from a Civ-List two various UU, UB.

New Civs:
    Minoan Empire and Pruzzia

14. HafidzMZ

HafidzMZ Chieftain

:scan: nice to meet you:cool:
    ;);););););):)

Multiplayer Epic War Modpack
    Compatible with BNW Multiplayer
    Mod features, divided into three main branches:
    1. 1. STRATEGY (long terms)
    2. a. City states can have a maximum of 2 city. Barbarian city converts to city states city, but its opinion towards all major civ are badly negative.
    3. b. If a war is spanned for more than 45 turns, it cannot be stopped for another 20 turns. After that, peace are forced. This peace must last for 10 turns.
    4. c. Every unit use trade route slot. There is so many way to increase trade routes capacity, including: owning strategic resources, construct buildings, research tech and so on.
    5. d. City population grows slower in peace times, faster at war.
    6. e. Researching technologies are faster in peace times, slower at war, except military tech.
    7. f. Owning luxury resources give players belief related to that resources. The belief will be stronger when the player gained more of that resources.
    8. g. Every natural wonders gives promotion bonus for the player owning it.
    9. h. Worker works faster.
    10. i. Religions and ideologies are revamped so that each of them can excell in war situation. Besides that, just by choosing religion/ideologies alone (without picking belief/tenets in those) players will immediately gains benefits and penalty. For example, cities with “atheist” religion will excell in research but slower population growth. Players following “freedom” ideology will gain bonuses when declaring war with major civ annexing city states, but they cannot annex cities themselves; while players with “order” will gains bonuses when annexing cities, but they cannot liberate. And “autocrats” will gain bonuses when making ally with city states, but they cannot raze.
    11. j. At the start of every 50 turns, players can choose 1 bonus for their civ. That bonus will last for 50 turns.
    12. 2. TACTIC (short terms)
    13. a. Move population: Every settlers are gained by sacrificing 1 population of a city, rather than building it. That settler can then join any owned city/form anew. Settlers captured by major civ are maintained as settlers (instead of worker). Cities joined by settlers are penalized for several turns.
    14. b. Cities in resistance sometimes generate barbarian encampment.
    15. c. Spies are units: It is an invisible civilian unit, only detectable if a military unit is in the same tile of it. Spies can pillage. Cannot be killed, except by another spy. Diplomats are visible civilian unit. Killing diplomats results in major warmonger penalty, and global negative promotion for military units.
    16. d. Peace/war/constructing embassies in another major civs can only be declared/done by human player by visiting their cities by diplomats.
    17. e. Players with below average scores have the opportunity to form “Non-Aligned Movement”, trades/friendship between them are boosted by many bonus.
    18. f. “Cold War.” Trades between the top and the second highest score civs are penalized for both. Hostile action (spying, pillaging, declaring war) between them gain bonus for both.
    19. g. Player have the ability to convert 2 gold into 1 science, 2 science into 1 gold, 2 culture into 1 faith, 2 faith into 1 culture.
    20. h. Players can buy promotions for an underconstructed unit in city screen by gold. Buying units instantly by gold results in weaker unit (but purchasing units are cheap).
    21. i. Players can research/construct various national projects that give special promotion to future units in that city.
    22. j. Buildings and wonders are somewhat cheaper and faster to build, but there is a chance that attacks to the city can destroy it. Wonders can be rebuild in that city, or another cities by another player if destroyed. The original owner of the wonder gain production boost to rebuild.
    23. k. Cities of major civ that are ravaged by war for several turns by major civs sometimes will declare independence, becoming city states, it will make peace with both major civs. Cities that are captured by barbarians are turned int o violent city state (to every major civ) rather than becoming barbarian city, until liberated. Major civ can still become friend/ally by increasing influence. Every city states can be liberated, the liberator will become the ally of the city state. City states that are allied with other civ, however, will immediately spawn units respective to that ally if liberated/captured (with total strength according to their influences in this city).
    24. l. If more than 50% of world population are in war, trigger “World War” event. Unit production in all cities are boosted, researching military tech are easier. Researching non-military tech become harder.
    25. m. If a city is razed, while United Nations are founded, the original owner of that city gains a free settler and two military units (it is considered a help from UN).
    26. n. United Nations resolutions comes faster when in “World War”. Several resolution give bonus to peaceful country, while several other give bonus to countries in war. Civilization with the worst score gains those bonus regardless of peace/war situation.
    27. 3. OPERATION (unit to unit)
    28. a. Supply system: each unit (even settlers/workers) have (some kind of) trade route attached to it from nearest owned/allied cities. If that trade route pillaged/the unit is too far from the city that supplies it, the unit will suffer dmg per turn until the unit disperses. The trade route will be automatically renewed after several turn, if there is any possible closer route.
    29. b. Ambush system: Fortified unit in forest/jungle, or some unit is always invisible, except doing battle. Only certain unit type/building can detect invisible units near it.
    30. c. Dummy units: slave, some war animals, some robots, balloon, land mines, are called dummy units. It is a very cheap military units, very weak, but used in many cases: detect invisible units, radaring (but very limited vision), depleting enemy attack, blocking/halting enemy movement (by ambush).
    31. d. Leader (Great Person): Each civilization can only have 1 leader, if it is killed, a new leader will be born several turns after (the owner cities will suffer resistance as long as the leader is non-existent). Leaders have some abilities: Redesignate capital city, Aura slightly strengthening allied/owned units 3 tiles away (bonus stack with great general), reduces enemy unit strength by 30% if 1 tiles away. If placed in a city, boost city production, faith, science and gold by 10%.
    32. e. Capture territory: A military unit will capture territory if fortified in a tile for 10 turns (if wild territory), 5 turn (if enemy territory), or 2 turn (if close to owned cities, and not close to enemy city).
    33. f. Reforesting/deforesting: Military units can reforest/deforest tile (reforesting tile must be done in a tile with 2 or more food.
    34. g. Fire: Fire can be light up/eliminated by workers at forest/jungles, next turn, the fire will spread to a forest/jungle tiles around it (20% chance on each tile), or vanish (80% chance). Fire penalty is weaker than fallout, but it damages units in it.
    35. h. Flood: Some military units can be spent close to a river to make temporary flood in every flood plains along that river . Flood is a terrain features that reduces defence of every units/cities in it. It removed supply lines.
    36. i. Military camp: Some military unit can construct military camp in owned territory, it is a weaker version of fort, but increase healing rate of units in it. Military camp in forest/jungle is invisible, except a if a foreign unit is stepping on it.
    37. j. Marsh: weak/wounded unit have a chance to be vanished if going through marsh.
    38. k. Every unit can move after attacking, but every ranged units range is reduced by 1. Ranged units range is increased by 1 if on hills.

15. ifasola

ifasola Chieftain

I think that a great idea it will allow weaker civ a chance to defend themselves over a overpowered civ just like Vietnam had guerrilla against the French and later the U.S. and even what we see in the middle east now.

16. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

YES that´s perfect:)

and this suggestion:

1. CORPS

I hope it is possible to split the corps into two units again. But than the production costs had to be adjusted.

I guess the corps could be a little bit stronger. +10 from 70 to 80, I mean, is not much. This bonus is just the difference between a fortified and not-fortified unit with twice Manpower.

2. Distribution of luxury goods

I welcome the execution of global happiness very much.

Even if the luxury goods are distributed automatically, I still hope that I can set certain priorities in the allocation.

:popcorn:

17. SK78

SK78 Chieftain

Hi, I am a big fan of the Civilization games, I have watched all released content on Civilization VI and I would want to suggest a the of one of the expansions that would come in future. Here it is, an economic's based expansion that will future economic victory, a new type of victory, you will have the option to found your own currency like you can found your religion, it will have it's own benefits that you will choose from, that will benefit you or the other civilizations that are going to use your currency. By dominating the trade routs and the stock flow of goods in the markets, in the other civilizations you will make them use your currency. Also you could add a banking system in this expansion that will add more to the gameplay, with this system you will be able to give or ask other civs for loans, that they or you have to return in some amount of turns with interest. You can make the money in the game more flexible and interesting to play with and add another victory time, that could be a really interesting one. Also you could make the economy of an underground economy that the civs will have. And when the later eras come with the computers, you could start to add some internet based currency that will challenge the player and the AI to fight over, for domination over it. For e.g. the domination of economic victory will be to make your currency dominant in all civs. And you could add some bonuses for the city states that will use your currency, some economic bonuses for you and for them. You could add a economic civic and so on. It is a great idea and if you are not putting it in this one (Civilization VI), consider it for the next installment in the series. Keep up the good work.

18. cerbilicious

cerbilicious Chieftain

I'd like to suggest another enhancement:
    tile improvement "seaport"
    description/requirements:
    accessible if a city is 1 or 2 tiles away from the coast. All maritime options are accessible besides of building military units.
    impacts:
    expanding your civilization gets more tactical deepness and variability. (military and economically)
    capital cities or city states settled by the AI 1 tile away from the coast are no longer a "heart-breaker" for perfectionists.

19. Balkans

Balkans Warlord

In tool tip for holy site it says:
    +1 faith from each adjacent grassland (mountain) ;
    +1 faith from each adjacent plains (mountain);
    +1 faith from each adjacent desert (mountain);
    +1 faith from each adjacent tundra (mountain);
    +1 faith from each adjacent snow (mountain)

Please replace this with:
    +1 faith from each adjacent mountain.

Thanks.

20. Sharpee

Sharpee Chieftain

I was thinking about an idea. What if paved roads couldn't be built until they are further through the game, but the "foot traffic" of units and traders passing through a certain tile created an unpaved road, which then took less gpt to maintain once you then improved that unpaved road to a paved road. Just an idea. Any thoughts?