Civ Ideas & Suggestions Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread

Here's something that has always bugged me. Techs and civics will tell you what passive upgrades they bring to your civilization, but the things they choose to tell you and the things they choose to leave out is mind-boggling.

For instance, Stepwells receive +1 Housing upon researching Sanitation. I'm not sure why all players need to know that when it's only India who benefits from it, but okay. In other cases though, it's the opposite problem: not telling you enough. An example of this would be Nazca Lines providing +1 Food to adjacent tiles upon researching Civil Service. This is pretty important to know as a Suzerain of Nazca, past or present, so why isn't it visible?

Here's my suggestion: do some clarification with tech bonuses. Things like Catherine's Spies or India's Stepwells should be invisible unless you're playing as the affected Civ/Leader. Modifiers to City-State improvements should be visible if the City-State is in the game, and things like Johannesburg's bonus should be visible also. It's a little thing that would help a lot and clear up some of the confusion as to "Why are my tiles better?"

(Plus, a little UI effect in the gameworld would be nice when a Building, Tile Improvement, or District gets a buff to their yields. A lot of things seem pretty hard to spot and that can affect a player's perception of their worth psychologically.)

Rebalance Barbarian Clans city state conversion for different game speeds. At marathon speed all the clans that are unreachable via land are already converted into city states before anyone discovers Shipbuilding, especially in tech shuffle mode, which makes early techs relatively more expensive than without it.
City state conversion speed should be adjusted by game speed, and preferably should begin to collect points only after:
- The clan is discovered by a civilization
- It is at least classical era, in ancient era clans don't collect points nor convert.
- The speed of collecting points is adjusted by game era:
Ancient: none
Classical: slow
Medieval: medium
Renaissance and later: accelerated

Algorithm-managed society
4k Science cost
prereq - Predictive systems
unlocks economic policy Algorithm-managed society
(-50% Maintenance on everything)
Side effect: Your entire civilization descends into hell.

Urban Defenses give +1 to the range of the ranged attack of the city and encampment.

Siege promotion class when placed in a fort in friendly or neutral territory, encampment or city center can fire at land and sea units with no penalty. These units can both be used as offensive units to attack enemy cities as well as emplacement artillery in defensive warfare.

Last edited:
Here's something that has always bugged me. Techs and civics will tell you what passive upgrades they bring to your civilization, but the things they choose to tell you and the things they choose to leave out is mind-boggling.

For instance, Stepwells receive +1 Housing upon researching Sanitation. I'm not sure why all players need to know that when it's only India who benefits from it, but okay. In other cases though, it's the opposite problem: not telling you enough. An example of this would be Nazca Lines providing +1 Food to adjacent tiles upon researching Civil Service. This is pretty important to know as a Suzerain of Nazca, past or present, so why isn't it visible?

Here's my suggestion: do some clarification with tech bonuses. Things like Catherine's Spies or India's Stepwells should be invisible unless you're playing as the affected Civ/Leader. Modifiers to City-State improvements should be visible if the City-State is in the game, and things like Johannesburg's bonus should be visible also. It's a little thing that would help a lot and clear up some of the confusion as to "Why are my tiles better?"

(Plus, a little UI effect in the gameworld would be nice when a Building, Tile Improvement, or District gets a buff to their yields. A lot of things seem pretty hard to spot and that can affect a player's perception of their worth psychologically.)

Plus when we're clearing this up, make +1 Spy Capacity an icon like when Civic grants Envoys or Government Titles. If Trade Route Capacity would be increased by progress like in Civ 5, that would be a candidate, too.

So I think it would be great if there was an in game option to freely control how many natural wonders can spawn similar to city states. Also making a bigger true world start with bigger land masses. When playing true world start huge (as of april 23,2021) the changes are to small to notice and when playing with friends sometimes bots overlap spawn locations (citystate or civ) and who ever is not the host sometimes can't even place their city for a few turns ( locations like europe and the middle east)

- adding the in game option to adjust the natural wonders would be the most optimal feature to add to help bridge the ever growing gap between the platforms, adding a method to add mods similar to how skyrim and fallout did for console would be greatly appreciated by the players, but the most cost effective would be either the slider or abundant option for natural wonders and a prebuilt map that has larger land masses and add the world wonders /fix spawn overlaps would be loved for multiplayer true world start players

- - yes I know pc has those options via mods but I also play on my console cause my little bro does not have a pc.

I don't know if someone has given this idea before but I love the new heroes game mode and I hope they add new heroes with time, my choice would be something like:

El Cid
- The good vassal: Loyalty bonus when conquering another city.

- Dead but victorious: When a friendly unit adjacet to El Cid its killed, it stays one more turn but it can only attack.

New hero idea! Saint Santiago apostol

Saint James the great, Santiago apóstol or Jacobo, according to the Bible he was one of Christ apostles, however, his image has been rooted in the spanish and Galician folklore since medieval times. He evangelized the Iberian peninsula and and now it's patron of Spain, Galicia and Santiago the Compostela, the city where his rest remains and where the Camino de Santiago ends, the third greatest christian pilgrimage route. Also, according to the medieval tradition, Santiago appeared to some Spanish knights to help and support them when fighting against the Muslim kingdoms in the Iberian peninsula.

Movement: 5
Unit class: Melee
Charges: 8

Swift: ignores all terrain movement penalties.

Camino de santiago: creates a road between two or more cities, each city costs a charge. Trade routs within that road or between those cities gives a huge faith bonus to the civilization who called Santiago.

Miles christi: +5 combat strength to all units within two tiles. Provides faith whenever an enemy unit following other religion is killed within two tiles.

Pilgrimage: Once found, his relic gives a bonus faith, tourism and gold.

This is a moderator approved thread for the posting of any ideas and suggestions that are not worth their own thread (as the name would suggest). If you have a relatively small idea, or a collection of relatively small ideas, it would be beneficial for the sake of forum organisation to post it here. They'll probably get more attention here than they otherwise would, and the forum will be much more easy to browse.

"I would like this new button", "It would be cool if this particular unit did slightly more damage" and "Why not include this wonder in the game?" might be good examples of ideas that would perhaps be best posted here.

So, what are some cool ideas or suggestions you have for the next instalment of Civ, whether it be an expansion pack or a new game?

I would like to see pillboxes in the later era to house machine gun nests and dedicated coastal gun batteries. Finally how about a railgun unit

Reactions: PiR
I just thought of a cool updated suzerain bonus for Venice, considering it's unlikely to be replaced as of now.

Your Trade Routes to foreign cities earn +1 Gold for each Luxury resource at the destination and earn +1 Culture for each Canal it passes through. (With GS enabled)

It might not be much but at least it gives it more flavor and makes it feel like a true Venetian bonus. Plus it gives Venice the excuse to get a good start bias toward coast so they should always have a canal city graphic with them being the "City of Canals" in real life. :)

Entertainment complexes are pretty weak and rarely worth the district slot. I think it would be great if just two things were changed about them.

1) Make the district provide +2 amenities by default. +1 just isn't enough to justify a district slot alone, especially early game when you'd rather be putting down campuses or theatre squares. You can just build the arena right away for another +2 amenities, but you're committing a lot of production and time for just +3 amenities total.

2) Give it some sort of adjacency bonus when next to say, theatre squares or commercial hubs, probably gold. It doesn't make much sense to me than an arena, zoo, or stadium would cost money to run and maintain, when in the real world they're very profitable. I also think it's highly unlikely this would devalue the commercial hub, as it would still generate much more gold and also give access to more trade routes.

I think both these changes would not only give a little more incentive to use entertainment complexes early game, but make them a bit more flavorful.

I have a suggestion for an overhaul of a happiness/amenity mechanics which has always felt somewhat dull and immersion-breaking for me, especially in vanilla V before Vox Populi. I feel an immence potential for improvements in this area, which could potentialy lead to enhanced, much more flexible, complex and integrated (and even more historically accurate, if that's even a dimension you can consider Civ games through) game experience.
Entel a ragtag gang of new parameters to potentially replace genetic Amenities: Sanitation and Crime (maybe some more will come up to mind)
Part 1. Sanitation
Sanitation is a game mechanics working bery much akin to Amenities, meaning it is a accumulable parameter which can assume positive or negative values.Ceratin buildings (a specific buildings chain in a separate medical distirict, for example, like in post #1285 (I haven't yet figured out how to put in links for posts), city center buildings like sewers, wells etc., certain worship buildings, technologies and civics, resources (some medicinal herbs, wine, insence, even citrus and bananas (all hail Vitamin C)), natural and world wonders give positive Sanitation. In contrast, city growth (negative Sanitation scaling with number of citizens and maybe also number of non-medical districts), other resources (Cattle, Sheep, Horses, Truffles), trade routes (every historical epidemic's favorite) reduce Sanitation and give rise to deadly Epidemics (there is probably little point in bothering to make a plethora of distinct epidemics, since it will needlessly complicate new mechanic, despite how much I would love a Civilization/Plague Inc. crossover, lmao). Disease could spread by trade routes, through military and civilian units, even by fresh water connections like rivers. "Quarantine" district project, Physician/Medic civilian units and Great Physicians come to mind as invaluable additions to this mechanics. Alternatively to a separate medical distirict, you could have its functions split up between separate building chains for Campus and Holy Site distritcs (but in this case I'm unsure about the Great Physician).
In this context I would also like to have chemical/biological weapons introduced. I realise there are certain moral constraints, but I see little sence in them considering the possibility of nuking or raising your opponent's every single city in contemporary Civ games. It could be an interesting and historically relevant game mechanic as well. It would also be possible to ban them through the World Congress.
Part 2. Crime
I have considerably less fleshed-out ideas considering Crime mechanics. Crime would certainly have to be tied to overall military presence in the city and civ as a whole, maybe also defensive and Encampment districts buildings. We could have a separate crime-battling city center building chain like Court, Prison, or Gendarmerie. As with Sanitation, certain technologies and civics would reduce Crime. This could harmonize well with Monopolies and Corporations game mode. Imagine Industries, Factories or Commercial Hubs in remote cities, during Dark Ages or in crumbling empires getting overrun with organized crime (Mafia, Cartels) starting from the Industrial era. Crime left unchecked could start as ransom and tax theft and progress to political asassinations and outright rebellions, and next thing you know is your precious liquor factory is being under a new management by the order of the Peaky Blinders.
Please let me know what you think about this concept, and have a good day.

Seems a lot like Health in Civ IV. I miss it!

I like your idea, except the small detail that military shouldn't deal with crime, police and military should be seperate, at least in modern eras.

Thank you! Since I have never played Civ 4, the Health/Sanitation idea was mostly inspired by Total War: Attila, The Black Death scenario and, well, my infectious diseases and epidemiology courses :D
Concerning the military involvement in the Crime mechanic: I think it would make sense both history-wise and gameplay-wise. Garrisoned armies can secure loyalty and stability, reduce crime and crush riots. Military-independent crime-battling mechanics, however, need not to appear only after the Modern Era. Things like city watch, municipal courts and judges and public works are not by all means modern inventions.

By the way, here are some more ideas I've conjured, hope you enjoy.
1. Extended Diplomatic Options: Unions, Vassals and Sattelites.
I personally think the diplomatic side of Civ6 direly lacks complexity and profoundness. part of this issue stems from the AI imperfections and drawbacks of existing mechanics, but the rather scarse arsenal of available diplomatic options also makes a contribution. For example, I really miss the Vassalage system from Vox Populi. The big point here is to persuade player to actually make vassals rather than to just gobble up all remaining cities, condisering how valuable the number of cities and generally wide playstyle are in Civ 6 compared to Civ5 VP. What's the point in yield-draining a vassal if you couldve been feasting on those yields all by yourself? I don't think a vast reduction of Grievances penalties and a additional support in World Congress is enough. Maybe the changes to the overall mechanics that make conquering and especially holding on to the conquered cities much harder for a player would be required. In this case, having yourself a vassal state would actually be more beneficial and interesting.
As to the Unions, I see them as a direct continuation of Alliances. If more than two civs have mutual Alliances with each other, they would get an ability to form a Coalition (Tier 1 Union), which retains all the Alliances bonuses combined plus combined diplomatic power in Congress and possibly some other benefits, e.g. to GPP generation, Trade Routes within the Union, was against a common foe etc. Tier 2 Union would be Confederation, at which point two or more civs would merge together, their color schemes combined (randomlyif founded by AI and selected by the player if founded by them). Essentially one big civ is created, and all the previous benefits and bonuses are still there. If you form a Confederation, your partner's cities would probably have to become Sattelites (more on that later). Tier 3 is Federation, and it's basically a quite broken peacefull conquest option amenable to diplomatic powerhouses like Canada. The size of a Union is not limited at its foundation: later you can send requests or demands to join you to other civs.
Sattelites would work quite similar to their Civ5 counterparts: yield generators, in which you can but stuff, but can't build stuff. Reserved for cities you don't want directly under your control, either because of an undesirable location or because you can't actually hold it.
2. Ideologies.
Another Civ 5 thing which, I feel like was unjustly left oveboard on a voyage to Civ6. Communism and Fascism as a government type, really? In real life ideologies are modern religions, behaving and influencing people's minds in a very similar way. This might seem both a bit radical and redundant, but I believe it would make sense if you had a similar mechanics for Ideilogies, with Tenets being akin to Beliefs (limited selection pool for each Ideology, certainly more options that slots available for the sake of variability), Propagandists being analogous in function to Missionaries, and Security Agents - to Inquisitors. You could even utilize Faith for this mechanics, the sasme way it's now utilized for Rock Bands and Naturalists. Pamphlets and Manifestos as a special Great Works of Writing also would be cool. Imagine the kind of worldwide complex ideological warfare you could wage with this. List of possible ideologies need not be limited to Liberalism, Fascism and Communism. Authoritatism (could be a precursor to Fascism in terms of gameplay), Conservatism, Anarchism, Corporativism, Transhumanism and Envinronmentalism could als be options. You could also have unique ideology-restricted policies, similar to Dark Age policies. A synergy between certain government types and ideologies could also have place.
3. Meaningful government types.
Don't get me wrong, I like Civ6 civics and governments system very much. But doesn't it just feels weird and plainly wrong to you that the only difference between a Classical Republic and a Monarchy is only in terms of available slots and some relatively minor buffs? In real world history different governments behave and react with drastic differences, so I would like to see a part of this rather important distictions implemented, For example, in feudal monarchy it was quite hard to get your lords to fight for you in your wars and maintaining a sizable regular army was even harder, so it would be logical for Monarchy to have a major downdise in realms of producing and maintaining units, while having benefits in others, like mercenaries. In contrast, Republics had various Parties to please, and I would love to see such a mecahnics implemented (your aristocratic party is unhappy? receive a reduction in gold/faith/loyalty and unit production, You merchants are unhappy? Down the toilet go your yields from trade routes).
Those are very rough and sleepy-written concepts, so I'd be very grateful for any feedback!

Hopefully this is a simple idea.

I want city-states to start their own wars with their neighboring city-states

My late games get pretty peaceful and I'm okay with that as I don't need to win the game and kind of enjoying being the world policeman or managing issues, so...

If city-states started wars with each other it could make it interesting to drag great powers into conflicts to protect their city-state and (I use the gift units mod) its fun to do a proxy war.

So how do you create an event that 1) picks a city-state with a neighbor 3) changes the status to war with neighbor 3) makes the AI aggressive enough to fight/pillage the neighbor and build units for it?

I think we need to move away from individual units and start using armies.

Maybe 1 army at start, 1 per 4 cities, but you can assign cities to support an existing army rather than create its own.

You would control the army's composition, manpower and resupply, general (which gives bonuses). Strategic assets, particularly nuclear subs, would still be individual units.

I think we need to move away from individual units and start using armies.

Maybe 1 army at start, 1 per 4 cities, but you can assign cities to support an existing army rather than create its own.

You would control the army's composition, manpower and resupply, general (which gives bonuses). Strategic assets, particularly nuclear subs, would still be individual units.

Anything other than 1UPT is at least worthy of a consideration as a thought experiment.

Honestly, most of people hate stacking, but at this point I'd kind of prefer even some sort of stacking and auto battles (with some cool modern mechanics added into it) than 1UPT. Just please give me something that aI can actually use to regularly endanger the player, that is not hyper micro tedious to control, and something that feels more like historical epic battles instead of this weird "20th century guerilla skirmishing" lasting for millenia.

Top Bottom