Civ IV Mac vs PC Multiplayer

GameRanger 4.5.1 doesn't attempt to upgrade or download anything when you connect, so presumably not. My guess is they don't know it should be live.

AlanH said:
GameRanger 4.5.1 doesn't attempt to upgrade or download anything when you connect, so presumably not. My guess is they don't know it should be live.

Exactly right. Just talked to Scott and he hasn't pushed out the plugin. He knows now, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Brad Oliver said:
Exactly right. Just talked to Scott and he hasn't pushed out the plugin. He knows now, so it shouldn't be too much longer.
Cool, thanks :)

I was testing out the PBEM functionality and I'm wondering if the Mac Civ IV client supports sending in-game emails like the PC version does. I was able to play the save file that was automagically sent from the PC version but I can't seem to send the email save back to the PC version from the Mac in-game.

Thanks.

I'm looking for players to try multiplayer civ4 on mac with IP to IP or else if you find a solution!

please contact me :

Messenger : jerome34430 <at> hotmail.fr
iChat : jerome34 <at> mac.com

Thanks

Moderator Action: I recommend removing the @ signs from addresses.
It makes your address far too easy for automatic address scanners to find and use for future spamming. I've edited your addresses accordingly.

I played my first multiplayer last night. I disconnected my router and went right through my cable modem because I don't know what ports Civ IV uses. I found a thread on here that named all the ports (there were so many), but when I reconfigured my router it didn't save the changes.

Anyway... we played for about three hours. It was a good time. Had voice iChat going so we could talk between turns.

Brad Oliver said:

As far as I can tell GameRanger still doesn't have Civ4 support. Nothing shows up in GameRanger Preferences, and there are no Civ4 games active whenever I visit. But there are no Civ3 ones either ...

Zaimejs said:
I played my first multiplayer last night. I disconnected my router and went right through my cable modem because I don't know what ports Civ IV uses.
Port 2056 is the default (only one you need for directIP). Or presumably you can set it to what you want in the .ini file.

; NetComm Port
Port = 2056

I haven't tried yet though. I played my first one this morning and just set my router up with DMZ (i think) to my computer. I'll try just the port next time.

The game was fun but one of us seemed to keep lagging out and coming back, especially on the standard size map.

I'm a stranger in a strange land(PC user), so forgive me. Has any of this been worked out?

Also, if my room-mate(mac) and I(pc) want to set up some multiplayer goodness on our wireless home router, is there a way to do this directly?

Are there any handy directions? I've heard of something called direct IP, but I have no clue how to get that set up.

thanks for your time!

-J

Great! Now that this has been done and that Civ 4 has a patch that fixes a lot of problems, I will now order the game. I'm looking forward to hearing lots of successful reports of easy multiplayer games! :)

Played a multi-player game with my PC-using friend. I hosted the game (and on my Mac mini!) and worked great. No complaints.

I did encounter a bug at some point which showed me the entire map in the main screen. It was kind of odd, but gave me a glimpse to where the goodie huts were. Haven't played since that session - maybe it was just a fluke.

ancestral said:
Played a multi-player game with my PC-using friend. I hosted the game (and on my Mac mini!) and worked great. No complaints.

On a G4 mac mini or an Intel one?

Either way it's impressive. I guess it isn't possible to run the game as a dedicated server?

I recall Brad saying they got cross-platform play working early in the project for the Intel code, but the PPC code took longer - presumably due to endian issues with the communications protocols. But I would guess they *did* get the PPC version working before release.

I don't believe PitBoss capability is included in the Mac version.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I figured it was better than starting a new one.

Does the latest patch of Warlords have PC compatability, on both gamespy and over a LAN? Will BtS?

Thanks!

Since Mac BtS is still a rumour, you'll need to wait for official word on the subject from Aspyr. However, as BtS uses the same game software as Warlords and Civ4, it's reasonable to assume that it will share their ability to play cross platform network games.

Note that there have been reports of "loss of sync" problems in these forums, and you don't have to dredge up a three year old thread to find them! However, I've seen similar reports when PC-PC players try network play, as well.

There is at least one unofficial "patch" that claims to reduce the Windows sync problems. I think it's a mod, using a custom DLL. If so, this will not run on the Mac version until we get a way to recompile custom DLLs.

I want to get Civ IV for my Mac OS X because my friends have it on their PCs. As of now is there anyway I can connect to their games? If so please reply back and if you have an answer that will help me join my friends' games, please send it to my email... ayocca [at] me [dot] com

Thanks

Moderator Action: Welcome. :wavey: I've edited your post.
I strongly recommend that you do NOT post your plain email address in a public forum. It just attracts spammers, who harvest them and sell them to the rest of the world. I've made it less obvious.

You can play the game with your (misinformed ;p) PC-buddies using a GameSpy account. There should be other options too, but I haven't tried them myself.

My husband and I play on our LAN, I'm on the mac, he's on a pc. We've had a few games with no problems, but more often than not we get out of sync errors - repeatedly. I called 2K games support and they told me that's because of the different platforms and they really don't work well together and no plans to make them work better.

Top Bottom