[CIV] Portugal (Version 1.00)

I've decided to drop the +25% gold at first contact because it is too random and does not scale well with map size.

Since I'm dropping this extra ability I've decided to rename the Portuguese trait to Mariners, instead of Explorers.

In addition, I am considering adding a minor trait to the Portuguese to replace the +25% gold. The primary purpose of this additional benefit is meant to encourage building settlements along the coast, just like the Portuguese did.

Here are a few ideas:

1) Give a +2 food bonus to settlements with docks.
2) Give a +1 food yield bonus to water tiles for settlements with docks (making the total food yield bonus from docks +3 instead of +2).
3) Give +1 food bonus on special water tiles (crab/fish only).

Any preferences? Or do you think the Navigation 1 and 2 is enough of a benefit for a civilization trait?

Thanks for your comments,
Joseph

Well I am just going to throw some ideas out. Maybe not the best ideas but maybe you would be interested on the traits.

Mem de Sa I read converted many natives as well and when you covert natives I mean you are pacifying them. I would copy the "TRAIT_BARTOLOME_DE_LAS_CASAS" and modify it for however much you think is is fair. I would just call it "Pacifier".

Dom Pedro II's trait is good.

The Portugal trait I would just give them the Navigation Promotion or a copied version of them so you they can start with a bonus and even get a bigger bonus.

Well I am just going to throw some ideas out. Maybe not the best ideas but maybe you would be interested on the traits.

Suggestions are always welcome... ;)

Mem de Sa I read converted many natives as well and when you covert natives I mean you are pacifying them. I would copy the "TRAIT_BARTOLOME_DE_LAS_CASAS" and modify it for however much you think is is fair. I would just call it "Pacifier".

Originally, I did have him more focused on handling the natives... in fact I had him as a +50% mission coversion rate and +10% attack vs. natives... so a mixture of the Conquistor and Enterprising traits. It was a sort of "convert or die" trait. ;)

Dom Pedro II's trait is good.

Yeah I like his trait... it allows for a slightly different playing style once education becomes available.

The Portugal trait I would just give them the Navigation Promotion or a copied version of them so you they can start with a bonus and even get a bigger bonus.

So just one navigation promotion or Nav I & II?

Originally, I had +1 move for caravels and Navigation I for all ships... should I go back to that?

Suggestions are always welcome... ;)

Originally, I did have him more focused on handling the natives... in fact I had him as a +50% mission coversion rate and +10% attack vs. natives... so a mixture of the Conquistor and Enterprising traits. It was a sort of "convert or die" trait. ;)

The +50% percent conversion I think would be enough though. I never read anywhere yet that he fought the natives. But if he did I would add some combination of the two. How much I don't know.

So just one navigation promotion or Nav I & II?

Originally, I had +1 move for caravels and Navigation I for all ships... should I go back to that?

I was thinking one new promotion just for the explorer trait or just increase all of the stats to give +1 sight and +1 movement to all ships.

And allowing the ships to be able to receive the Nav I and Nav II on top of this if they gain a level in experience. I don't think it is that overpowering.

But will let you decide what you think is best.

Senturus,

Sorry I missed this post... here's my reply:

I like quite well your explorer trait. I think it's interesting in term of gameplay and quite historically accurate (althought I have to admit I don't know many about portugese colonial history - maybe I'm wrong). I prefer it to Dale trait in his mod, which is to my mind too similar to English trait.

Thanks... like I said I'll be dropping the +25% gold at first contact, but I think I'll keep the Navigation I & II traits for now and just rename the trait to "Mariners."

I think the seasoned scout is a interesting choice for Portugal starting unit. It does not seem to me overpowered as in any cases, we often get a seasoned scout via european docks quite early. And as you don't have horses for this first one, the advantage seems not huge to me ; I would think for example that the french pionner is much interesting.

That was my thought about the unit. It's a nice addition, that allows you to get a first or second scout a tad earlier than other Europeans, but costs you money to do so (you have to buy the horses after all).

Thanks for your comments ;)

Last call for comments, suggestions, and questions before I release the next version.

A new version of the Portugal mod (version 1.01) has been posted with Portuguese trait changed (from explorer to mariner), starting unit change (veteran soldier to seasoned scout soldier), and art changes to make the Portuguese civ and unit flags look more uniform with the other civilizations.

Did you see the leaderhead buttons I did? They were in the files I posted before.

johny smith,

I updated the file with your leaderhead buttons. Thanks for all your work.

Now that this mod has been out for a couple months... anyone have any comments, questions, or suggestions?

Thanks ;)

hey: gotta problem: ive installed it the way it said in the thread: loaded the mod, and i cant find Portugal anywhere: also: can u play Portugal in the vanilla scenarios (ie: Northwest Passage etc)?

help me please :D

hey: gotta problem: ive installed it the way it said in the thread: loaded the mod, and i cant find Portugal anywhere: also: can u play Portugal in the vanilla scenarios (ie: Northwest Passage etc)?

help me please :D
Did you install the new colonization patch??It might be the problem. I'm not sure that jaldaen update the mod to be able to play with the patch.

My advice is, Play AOD 2, it has portugal and more nice feature:)

lol: installed it and it still doesnt work !!:( how depressing..
No, no, i meant, the mod might be unable to play if you install the patch. If you didn't install the patch, and it still isn't working, there must be something wrong with the mod, and unfortunately i'm not a modder so i can't tell you how to fix it. :p

Top Bottom