1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[CIV] Portugal (Version 1.00)

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by jaldaen, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

Thanks for the heads up! It is greatly appreciated ;)

2. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

I've decided to drop the +25% gold at first contact because it is too random and does not scale well with map size.

Since I'm dropping this extra ability I've decided to rename the Portuguese trait to Mariners, instead of Explorers.

In addition, I am considering adding a minor trait to the Portuguese to replace the +25% gold. The primary purpose of this additional benefit is meant to encourage building settlements along the coast, just like the Portuguese did.

Here are a few ideas:

1) Give a +2 food bonus to settlements with docks.
    2) Give a +1 food yield bonus to water tiles for settlements with docks (making the total food yield bonus from docks +3 instead of +2).
    3) Give +1 food bonus on special water tiles (crab/fish only).

Any preferences? Or do you think the Navigation 1 and 2 is enough of a benefit for a civilization trait?

Thanks for your comments,
    Joseph

3. johny smith

johny smith Chieftain

Well I am just going to throw some ideas out. Maybe not the best ideas but maybe you would be interested on the traits.

Mem de Sa I read converted many natives as well and when you covert natives I mean you are pacifying them. I would copy the "TRAIT_BARTOLOME_DE_LAS_CASAS" and modify it for however much you think is is fair. I would just call it "Pacifier".

Dom Pedro II's trait is good.

The Portugal trait I would just give them the Navigation Promotion or a copied version of them so you they can start with a bonus and even get a bigger bonus.

4. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

Suggestions are always welcome... ;)

Originally, I did have him more focused on handling the natives... in fact I had him as a +50% mission coversion rate and +10% attack vs. natives... so a mixture of the Conquistor and Enterprising traits. It was a sort of "convert or die" trait. ;)

Yeah I like his trait... it allows for a slightly different playing style once education becomes available.

So just one navigation promotion or Nav I & II?

Originally, I had +1 move for caravels and Navigation I for all ships... should I go back to that?

5. johny smith

johny smith Chieftain

The +50% percent conversion I think would be enough though. I never read anywhere yet that he fought the natives. But if he did I would add some combination of the two. How much I don't know.

I was thinking one new promotion just for the explorer trait or just increase all of the stats to give +1 sight and +1 movement to all ships.

And allowing the ships to be able to receive the Nav I and Nav II on top of this if they gain a level in experience. I don't think it is that overpowering.

But will let you decide what you think is best.

6. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

I don't think that is overpowered. The Portuguese should have an emphasis on seafaring.

7. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

Thanks for your comments... its good to hear from a new face. Welcome to the thread ;)

8. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

Senturus,

Sorry I missed this post... here's my reply:

Thanks... like I said I'll be dropping the +25% gold at first contact, but I think I'll keep the Navigation I & II traits for now and just rename the trait to "Mariners."

That was my thought about the unit. It's a nice addition, that allows you to get a first or second scout a tad earlier than other Europeans, but costs you money to do so (you have to buy the horses after all).

Thanks for your comments ;)

9. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

Last call for comments, suggestions, and questions before I release the next version.

10. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

A new version of the Portugal mod (version 1.01) has been posted with Portuguese trait changed (from explorer to mariner), starting unit change (veteran soldier to seasoned scout soldier), and art changes to make the Portuguese civ and unit flags look more uniform with the other civilizations.

11. johny smith

johny smith Chieftain

Did you see the leaderhead buttons I did? They were in the files I posted before.

12. johny smith

johny smith Chieftain

There they are again if you did not see them,

13. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

Sorry, I missed them... thanks for the new buttons ;)

I'll add them to the next version. ;)

14. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

johny smith,

I updated the file with your leaderhead buttons. Thanks for all your work.

15. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

Now that this mod has been out for a couple months... anyone have any comments, questions, or suggestions?

Thanks ;)

16. forlorn.hopes

forlorn.hopes Chieftain

hey: gotta problem: ive installed it the way it said in the thread: loaded the mod, and i cant find Portugal anywhere: also: can u play Portugal in the vanilla scenarios (ie: Northwest Passage etc)?

help me please :D

17. i_diavolorosso

i_diavolorosso Chieftain

Did you install the new colonization patch??It might be the problem. I'm not sure that jaldaen update the mod to be able to play with the patch.

My advice is, Play AOD 2, it has portugal and more nice feature:)

18. forlorn.hopes

forlorn.hopes Chieftain

lol: installed it and it still doesnt work !!:( how depressing..

19. i_diavolorosso

i_diavolorosso Chieftain

No, no, i meant, the mod might be unable to play if you install the patch. If you didn't install the patch, and it still isn't working, there must be something wrong with the mod, and unfortunately i'm not a modder so i can't tell you how to fix it. :p

20. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Chieftain

The link seems to not work correctly for me.

EDIT: Nevermind, worked now.

Btw, I suggest changing the name of the "Mariners" trait to "Navigator", to be more in line with the name of the other traits.