[CIV] Portugal (Version 1.00)

This should be everything. I just left the leaderheard folder and the sound folder out. Let me you what you think please.:)

England has dark red text now. Portugal has white text now. And the decals work now.

Just change whatever you think is better for them. Oh I have the new leaderhead buttons as well in there.

Forgot to mention I also updated the font files. Now a outer white cross with a blue center.

Finally sorry got them mixed up.

This has the Portugal colony as blue border, and white text. England has red text. The flag is then inverted in the art defines. So it is a white flag with blue symbols.

The Portugal Europe has a light blue border, and gray text.

I have the wrong name for the dompedroII button is the only thing.

Finally sorry got them mixed up.

That's okay... ;)

This has the Portugal colony as blue border, and white text. England has red text. The flag is then inverted in the art defines. So it is a white flag with blue symbols.

Really nice work... much better than my work around... I think the only thing that is a bit wonky is that the Portugal unit flag has a strange visual effect that I did not expect because of the "white dots" in the shields. Perhaps the flagdecal needs to be just one blue shield with white dots because otherwise the unit flag looks strange.

The Portugal Europe has a light blue border, and gray text.

Btw... I like the light blue background for the king's unit flag, but the button on the diplomatic screen is white.

I have the wrong name for the dompedroII button is the only thing.

I've fixed that... thanks ;)

I think it looks ok how it is though. I mean with the flag if I made one big one I think that would make it less unique. Unless I am missing something majorly wrong with it that I did not see. All I saw was the waving looks maybe a little odd, but I think it still looks ok for a flag.

If it was bigger and one maybe should not have the shield at all in it, and just the dots. Then would just use a blue flag with a white color for the dots.

And the king I thought to leave the button left white. Because if using blue I would wonder if about maybe confusion with France. I really wanted to fix the problem we should make unique buttons for each king perhaps.

So anyway I think this is best combination at the moment anyway.

Are you thinking about making anymore civs?

Oh and another idea. The English colony colors could be swapped and the colors inverted on the flag. So that the flag stays the same an the colonies have red culture border. Might remove confusion with the white button. Portugal could even have white culture borders then as well. What do you think?

Hope you don't mind, I've used the Port King civ button for AoD2. :)

I think it looks ok how it is though. I mean with the flag if I made one big one I think that would make it less unique. Unless I am missing something majorly wrong with it that I did not see. All I saw was the waving looks maybe a little odd, but I think it still looks ok for a flag.

Actually the flag looks great when zoomed in... its at the default height and higher that it has a strange "holey" visual effect for me... though perhaps I have a lower graphical setting than you do and yours has clearly defined "dots" instead of holes.

If it was bigger and one maybe should not have the shield at all in it, and just the dots. Then would just use a blue flag with a white color for the dots.

That could work out well...

And the king I thought to leave the button left white. Because if using blue I would wonder if about maybe confusion with France. I really wanted to fix the problem we should make unique buttons for each king perhaps.

I'd be fine with that... I've already added the file for Portugal's sake so I don't mind additional editing, especially since this mod will probably be the building block for future mods.

So anyway I think this is best combination at the moment anyway.

Yeah, although I did change the Portuguese Europe's default primary to white and secondary to Black so that their flag has the same look as all the kings other kings. However if you decide to make uniue buttons for the kings, then these can of course change ;)

Are you thinking about making anymore civs?

The only other civs I might consider making would be the Swedes and Russians, but the Swedes weren't a big player in the colonization of the Americas and the Russians got involved with America pretty late in the game. Still if there was interest in these I might add them.

Oh and another idea. The English colony colors could be swapped and the colors inverted on the flag. So that the flag stays the same an the colonies have red culture border. Might remove confusion with the white button. Portugal could even have white culture borders then as well. What do you think?

That would work for me ;)

So in short for Portugal:

Let's make Portugal's primary color blue with white as the secondary.
The Unit flag should be blue background with five white dots in it.

For England:

You can change their primary color to red with white if you'd like.

Other Nations:

If you get struck by inspiration in regards to the other nations feel free to change them too.

I added a bigger decal like you wanted and swapped the colors around to match like wanted for England and Portugal.

Hope you don't mind, I've used the Port King civ button for AoD2. :)

Oh and no problem of course for using any of my stuff.

Do you think you would update the Portugal stuff when this is finished?

Probably would need to think about other Civilization color schemes and traits then as well.

I added a bigger decal like you wanted and swapped the colors around to match like wanted for England and Portugal.

Looks good... although now that I've seen how the unit flag looks I'm leaning toward one of the following alternatives:

1) The dots on the unit flag decal need to be smaller and more compacted. The main reason for this is because the unit flag looks different from all the other civs and seems out of place.

2) Portugal primary White, secondary Blue and the flagdecal as a single blue shield with five small "transperant" dots in it.

I hate to ask more work of you, but I really want to get the unit flag just right.

Well I think this one looks the best. I understand you want the flag right, and I understand why. This is actually my first time messing with flags. Well anyway this is with blue as the primary color still.

And here is another one without so much detail just with the dots.

I think the other one is still better although it made look not so clear when zoomed out because of the detail.

Think this one is even better I shrank down the shield a little.

This one is the best of the bunch so far... but I think I just want a white flag with one blue shield with the five dots on it for the unit flag. Like this:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOXXXXXXXXXXXXXOO
OOXXXXXXXXXXXXXOO
OOXXXOXXXXXOXXXOO
OOXXXXXXXXXXXXXOO
OOXXXXXXOXXXXXXOO
OOXXXXXXXXXXXXXOO
OOXXXOXXXXXOXXXOO
OOOXXXXXXXXXXXOOO
OOOOOXXXXXXXOOOOO
OOOOOOXXXXXOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
---OOOOOOOOOOOOOO---
-----OOOOOOOOOO------
-------OOOOOOO--------
---------OOOO----------
-------------------------
The O's are the white background and the X's are the blue Flagdecal (only sized appropriately). ;)

P.S.: I did a mockup of it in GIMP and it looks fine, but I'm no artist so I'd prefer someone with art skills to get it just right ;)

I like quite well your explorer trait. I think it's interesting in term of gameplay and quite historically accurate (althought I have to admit I don't know many about portugese colonial history - maybe I'm wrong). I prefer it to Dale trait in his mod, which is to my mind too similar to English trait.

I think the seasoned scout is a interesting choice for Portugal starting unit.
It does not seem to me overpowered as in any cases, we often get a seasoned scout via european docks quite early. And as you don't have horses for this first one, the advantage seems not huge to me ; I would think for example that the french pionner is much interesting.

I think this is what you want for the flag. Just let me know what you think.

This is with primary blue and secondary white, and not inverted in art defines.

Top Bottom