• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ V Civilizations Roster

I read this topic and confirmed civs... well, stop thinking "that civ is greater than other", just imagine "earth map", like those popular in MP.

So...

- Another american nation? No, 3 there is enough, no native americans or Canada needed. And add a lot of barbs in earth map to prevent mega empires and give chance for europeans for colonizing.
- West Europe if full... With England, France, Germany and Rome no Spain/Portugal/Holy Rome/Netherlands needed.
- Mediterran? I think Rome, Egypt and Ottomans is fine, when Ottos are in (probably with Istambule as capitol, not Ankara) Grecce/Byzanties are not necessary. Well, modern Turks with Ankara as capitol + independent Grecce could be good, but when Osmans are in, no Grecce needed.
- North/East europe. Scandinavia/Poland will be place for Russian and German expansion. Its ok, no crowd there needed. So i think Poland/Vikings not needed (despite i'am Polish :) )
- Middle East. Arabs, Egypt and Ottos expansion, so definetly not Persia/Babylon/Sumeria or else needed!
- Central Asia - India, Mongols and China, very balanced.
- East Asia - Japan+China is enough. No Korea needed.
- South-east Asia - THAT'S it! Nothing! Really good place for playable civ. Khmer? Thailand? Vietnam? Myanmar? Brunei (could be great island nation for play)? Laos? But hell no for Australia.
- Africa. Very poor, only Songhai and egypt? Etiopia, Zulu, South Africa, Carhagne or Morocco could be nice. I think Zulu is my choice there (we can count it as South Africa later).

My final choice:

1st: Thailand, Brunei or Khmer. (or another Indonesia civ)
2nd: Zulu.

criterion: EARTH MAP, ftw :)

I read this topic and confirmed civs... well, stop thinking "that civ is greater than other", just imagine "earth map", like those popular in MP.

So...

- Another american nation? No, 3 there is enough, no native americans or Canada needed. And add a lot of barbs in earth map to prevent mega empires and give chance for europeans for colonizing.
- West Europe if full... With England, France, Germany and Rome no Spain/Portugal/Holy Rome/Netherlands needed.
- Mediterran? I think Rome, Egypt and Ottomans is fine, when Ottos are in (probably with Istambule as capitol, not Ankara) Grecce/Byzanties are not necessary. Well, modern Turks with Ankara as capitol + independent Grecce could be good, but when Osmans are in, no Grecce needed.
- North/East europe. Scandinavia/Poland will be place for Russian and German expansion. Its ok, no crowd there needed. So i think Poland/Vikings not needed (despite i'am Polish :) )
- Middle East. Arabs, Egypt and Ottos expansion, so definetly not Persia/Babylon/Sumeria or else needed!
- Central Asia - India, Mongols and China, very balanced.
- East Asia - Japan+China is enough. No Korea needed.
- South-east Asia - THAT'S it! Nothing! Really good place for playable civ. Khmer? Thailand? Vietnam? Myanmar? Brunei (could be great island nation for play)? Laos? But hell no for Australia.
- Africa. Very poor, only Songhai and egypt? Etiopia, Zulu, South Africa, Carhagne or Morocco could be nice. I think Zulu is my choice there (we can count it as South Africa later).

My final choice:

1st: Thailand, Brunei or Khmer. (or another Indonesia civ)
2nd: Zulu.

do u only play in earth map?

some neighbour countries are culturally very different. so i disagree with most of your comments.

Some gerrymandering there, GK. India is a sub-continent about the size of Europe, and neither it nor China are regarded as part of Central Asia. The Mongols are the only semi-central Asian civ. When you compare the size of the Europe/Mediterranean region to other regions of the world, the extent of over-representation of it/under-representation of everywhere else is revealed.

:rotfl:

Looks like right now people are doing more wishful thinking than actual thinking.

We have 16 of 18 Civs confirmed, correct? :thumbsup:

Now, 10 of those Civs have been in every version of Civilization that has ever been released, including CivRevolution. That leaves 1 Civ from the "untouchable 11" that has so far not been confirmed: Greece. The likelihood of Greece not being included is very, very small.

Second, we first got the rumors of the Ottomans being in the game from the teaser trailer, right? Now, who else was in the teaser trailer? That's right, the Vikings. The idea that the Ottomans make an appearance in the teaser trailer and the game, but the Vikings wouldn't, is naïve at best and living in a fantasy land at worst.

At this point, it'd say the Vikings are even more confirmed than the Greeks, despite the Greeks being in every game up to the present, as we've actually seen footage of the Vikings.

As for everyone who keeps claiming the Zulu might be in - we just got word of our token Sub-Saharan African Civ: The Songhai. This continues the historical representation of the Mali, as a former pseudo-vassal to the Mali and later it's conquerors, and does the job that the Zulu would have done, namely represent Sub-Saharan Africa.

Therefore, the Final 18:

Americas:
*United States ~~~ Washington
*Aztecs ~~~ Montezuma
*Inca ~~~ (leader unknown)

Europe:
*England ~~~ Elizabeth
*France ~~~ Napoleon
*German ~~~ Otto von Bismark
*Russia ~~~ Katherine
*Vikings ~~~ (leader unknown)

Ancient Mediterranean:
*Rome ~~~ Julius Caesar
*Greece ~~~ (leader unknown)
*Egypt ~~~ Ramses II

Asia:
*China ~~~ Wu Zetian
*Japan ~~~ Oda Nabunaga
*Mongolia ~~~ Genghis Kahn
*India ~~~ Gandhi

Sub-Saharan Africa:
*Songhai ~~~ Askia

Middle East:
*Arabia ~~~ Harun al-Rashid
*Ottomans ~~~ Suleiman

(I debated between including the Ottomans with the European group, as it could go either way, but decided the Middle East looked lonely with just Arabia. So, there it is on my list. Feel free to regroup if you wish).

I'm a little surprised that Spain is not in, as it represents the Spanish speaking countries well enough (though not perfectly, obviously) but them's the breaks. It also wouldn't be the first time Spain got cut from a vanilla Civ.

Not a bad line-up. I was honestly surprised by the Songhai, but with the Ottomans and (practically) the Vikings being confirmed, that fulfills the surprise Civs that every game has. I would have rather had Spain than the Vikings for a vanilla Civ, and honestly Ethiopia over the Songhai, but what can you do?

:king:

Second, we first got the rumors of the Ottomans being in the game from the teaser trailer, right? Now, who else was in the teaser trailer? That's right, the Vikings. The idea that the Ottomans make an appearance in the teaser trailer and the game, but the Vikings wouldn't, is naïve at best and living in a fantasy land at worst.

At this point, it'd say the Vikings are even more confirmed than the Greeks, despite the Greeks being in every game up to the present, as we've actually seen footage of the Vikings.
according 2 the ign article of today (just check CFC homepage), ottomans really seem to be IN with Suleiman. But as u have put Songhai in your list, u should have seen that article.

according 2 the ign article of today (just check CFC homepage), ottomans really seem to be IN with Suleiman. But as u have put Songhai in your list, u should have seen that article.

:confused:

And I have the Ottomans listed in the Final 18 Civs, with Suleiman as leader.

I also refer to them being confirmed in the game several times.

Please take the time to read what I wrote thoroughly before you respond.

Thank you.

The idea that the Ottomans make an appearance in the teaser trailer and the game, but the Vikings wouldn't, is naïve at best and living in a fantasy land at worst.

I'm sorry, but it's also right there in the part you quoted.

No chance and no place free for a Polynesian Civ?

I'd think that given the presence of the Vikings/Scandinavians in the trailer (unless everyone has mistaken another civ for them), there is only a small chance that they won't be in. They are probably the most likely contender for the two remaining spots. Which leaves the last spot as a race between Greece and Persia, to my mind. And whilst it would seem sacrilege to leave out Greece, I'm batting for Team Persia.

i want spain, vikings, persia and greeks all :)

by the way, i don't like the term scandinavians, it is just the name for the north-south long peninsula. vikings or norman it should be, but more popularly vikings.

Oups, Forgot the viking part in the trailer...by watching it again, I can imagine that "foundation" is about the songhai!!

To me, An absence of Greece is inimaginable...

I'll go with Greece and either spain or vikings!!

I'd love to see the Iroquois back, this time with proper treats, cities, great people and units. They got a bad deal in Civ3.

Ethiopia would be my choice for Africa.

I would like to see the Dutch, too, but in vanilla they always have problems getting a space on the Earth map.

i want spain, vikings, persia and greeks all :)

by the way, i don't like the term scandinavians, it is just the name for the north-south long peninsula. vikings or norman it should be, but more popularly vikings.

Actually from what I've heard, Scandinavian is a more correct term than 'Viking'. I remember a while back several CFC members who were of Scandinavian descent said that using the term 'Viking' is extremely incorrect, and it is like using the word 'Cowboy' to refer to the Americans. 'Norman' would also be incorrect since they were but one group of Scandinavians/Vikings that had a whole story of their own.

Anyhow, with the Greeks definitely in, I highly doubt that the Vikings would take precedence over the Spanish and Persians. I highly, highly doubt that. Of course I could be proven wrong, but I really, really highly doubt that.

Maybe Firaxis will add 19 civs this time or more. Judging by civ3 and civ4 the number of Vanilla civs increased from one instalment too the other.

Vikings over Greeks would be .. blasphemy. In the end I of course want Greece, the Vikings, Spain, The Netherlands and all those awesome countries in but Greece HAS to be in the vanilla game!

Althrough im dutch i dont think that Holland and Spain should be included until an expansion same with the native americans because they werent really a civilization but more like a distinct culture like Acadia

Maybe Firaxis will add 19 civs this time or more. Judging by civ3 and civ4 the number of Vanilla civs increased from one instalment too the other.

It'd be great if they pulled that off. Because that's what they were originally aiming for in Civ4 (they wanted to put the Sumerians in, as evidenced by some of the first screenshots of Civ4, but for some reason they took them out).

So if it were 19 that could include Greece, Persia or Babylon, and Spain, and we'd all be happy.

But if there's only 18, I'm placing my bets on Greece (heresy if they're not in) and Persia, although I have a feeling they might try Spain as well.

Looks like right now people are doing more wishful thinking than actual thinking.

We have 16 of 18 Civs confirmed, correct? :thumbsup:

Now, 10 of those Civs have been in every version of Civilization that has ever been released, including CivRevolution. That leaves 1 Civ from the "untouchable 11" that has so far not been confirmed: Greece. The likelihood of Greece not being included is very, very small.

As for everyone who keeps claiming the Zulu might be in - we just got word of our token Sub-Saharan African Civ: The Songhai. This continues the historical representation of the Mali, as a former pseudo-vassal to the Mali and later it's conquerors, and does the job that the Zulu would have done, namely represent Sub-Saharan Africa.

Therefore, the Final 18:

Americas:
*United States ~~~ Washington
*Aztecs ~~~ Montezuma
*Inca ~~~ (leader unknown)

Europe:
*England ~~~ Elizabeth
*France ~~~ Napoleon
*German ~~~ Otto von Bismark
*Russia ~~~ Katherine
*Vikings ~~~ (leader unknown)

Ancient Mediterranean:
*Rome ~~~ Julius Caesar
*Greece ~~~ (leader unknown)
*Egypt ~~~ Ramses II

Asia:
*China ~~~ Wu Zetian
*Japan ~~~ Oda Nabunaga
*Mongolia ~~~ Genghis Kahn
*India ~~~ Gandhi

Sub-Saharan Africa:
*Songhai ~~~ Askia

Middle East:
*Arabia ~~~ Harun al-Rashid
*Ottomans ~~~ Suleiman

(I debated between including the Ottomans with the European group, as it could go either way, but decided the Middle East looked lonely with just Arabia. So, there it is on my list. Feel free to regroup if you wish).

I'm a little surprised that Spain is not in, as it represents the Spanish speaking countries well enough (though not perfectly, obviously) but them's the breaks. It also wouldn't be the first time Spain got cut from a vanilla Civ.

Not a bad line-up. I was honestly surprised by the Songhai, but with the Ottomans and (practically) the Vikings being confirmed, that fulfills the surprise Civs that every game has. I would have rather had Spain than the Vikings for a vanilla Civ, and honestly Ethiopia over the Songhai, but what can you do?

:king:

This was my reasoning as well. Plus I just plain like the Greeks and Vikings.

There are only a few niggling little doubts for me.

1. The Greeks haven't had any showcase aside from related wonders. Secondly cities like Florence, Rio de Janero and Budapest are confirmed city states which makes me wonder how far they're willing to go with City States. I don't want to see the Greeks in as various city states, but it is a growing possibility. Especially when you consider that "The Vikings are more confirmed than the Greeks."

2. Spain and Persia. If we consider The Greeks to be that important, then we should consider their biggest rivals to be important enough as well. Spain is also such an important Civilization, it's hard to imagine them left out.

I think two of these four will be in. I'd hope they are The Greeks and Vikings, but I think either one of them could possibly be knocked out by Spain or Persia.

Top Bottom