Civ V Ideas & Suggestions Summary

What units could be used to extend that line? Just more powerful pikemen? I've always assumed that riflemen are the next unit in that line, what with their anti-mounted unit capabilities.

79. World resources, I support this, and it should be possible to set the amount of resources independently for each resource.

Other suggestions:

I think it could be fun if all resources had a special output, like each oil-resource gives 10 oil each turn, and an attack with a tank, or a plane, expends 1 oil. Building a railroad costs one iron and one coal for each tile. Moving a ship one square costs 1/10 oil. Building a spearman costs 1 copper. Etc.

Each populationpoint can store 1 oil, and you can build oil-storages. Above ground, which can be bombed, if you have a spy that finds it, or under ground, which is more difficult to bomb/sabotage.

You can produce syntetic oil, but it is expensive to build and use the facilities.

All your population use oil to create production/income/happiness, this can be turned off, but will cause unrest/lower production/lower income.

Then resources can be traded instantly, not only as a going treaty.

Electricity could be a resource too, a power plant gives 10MW, and each railroadsquare or populationpoint etc. use one MW. Excess power could be sold to foreign countries.

I would like to have the ability to plant forests. After a worker has planted a forest it can "grow" for 40 turns, like hamlets, before it is possible to chop it or use the extra shield a forest give.

I would like to have the ability to move cities. If both the square the city is located and the square it should be moved to have 90% of your culture you can move it for 100 gold. It can only be moved one square every 10 turns.

Bridges: sometimes you have 2 bodies of land separated by 1 tile of coast. i think that some form of travel across this coast should be possible. 3 possibilities are--
a worker would build a "bridge base" on each of the land tiles that the bridge would be connected to, and then a work boat would create the actual bridge. the bases are so that the bridge knows where to connect.
work boats would have a "build bridge" icon, and when clicked, you would have to select the endpoints of the bridge.
when the "build bridge" icon was clicked on a work boat, all land tiles bordering the bridge tile would be connected.
the connected tiles would need to have roads on them. these would be modern bridges, requiring modern technologies. the bridges would be big so that boats could also pass under them.
another possibility with these bridges is to have a bridge with only one end connected to land. the other end would just be out in the sea. units would be able to go out on them. if an enemy ship was on a tile with a "pier," land units would be able to use the pier as a fighting platform and attack the ship. bridges would be able to be pillaged like any other improvement. if a land unit pillaged it, the bridge wouldn't be destroyed until that unit left, otherwise they would fall into the ocean. this could be used as a trap: pillage the bridge with a relatively weak unit, and leave it there. your enemy doesn't know that you pillaged it, so he will attack and kill you. your unit will be gone, so the bridge will blow up, dumping all unit(s) on the bridge into the sea where they will drown. the force of the explosion would also kill any sea units on the tile.

buying and selling land: when your neighbor' borders are pushing against yours, you want some way to decide who gets what other than constructing cultural buildings. am i right? there needs to be a way to trade tiles; to say "i'll give you these 3 tiles for those 2 and 1000 gold." traded tiles need either to:
have some of the culture of the civ receiving them, even if just 1%.
or
be bordering the receiving civ's current borders.
some system of deciding the value of different types of tiles (terrain, features, bonuses, improvements, distance from cities, etc).

advanced "explore" actions: when you tell your units to "explore" during a war, they just wander aimlessly, not always attacking, not always avoiding being attacked.
---there needs to be an action that causes the unit to walk towards areas where enemy units were recently spotted, or are often spotted, and if enemies are found, KILL THEM!
---another action needs to exist to tell them to go to tiles where resources/improvements are known to be and pillage those tiles.
---also, units need to be able to be commanded to map out enemy territory, going where you have least recently been to bring you updates on what's there. the command shall include "ad if you see any enemy units, end the turn by hiding yourselves in a defensive location (hills/forest/jungle/fort)."
---a "go fortify yourself in the nearest safe city/tile" is useful. a "safe city/tile" is defined as a city/tile belonging to a civ with whom you have open borders and your opponent does not. this does NOT include your cities, as your enemy can get there. if your enemy opens borders with the civ who's land you are hiding in, the unit will automatically relocate.
---"go home" is self explanatory.

ghost units: the last time you passed a city, you probably saw units in it, and you want to remember what they were so that you can guess now what you'll need to bring to conquer it. you probably can't see what's in that city now, can you! "ghost units" would show "ghosts," or semi-transparent images, of what was there last time; you see an axeman, but you also see a farm through it. when you hover over the city, it shows the list of units on the tile as usual, bit in a different font and/or size and/or color to show that it is a "ghost list." there would also be an option to "ghost" a certain tile, a tool that would be activated and function in the same way as ping, and would store what was on the tile in ghost form each time you passed it.

teleportation: you've all wanted at some point to rush a unit somewhere fast, but all the local airports are used up for the turn or non existent. want a solution? a future technology would be "teleportation," which would allow you to create "teleporter" units. these units could move themselves and one other unit (or just itself) to any other tile on the map each turn. the target tile would have to be accessible normally (you have open borders with the civ who's land it is, it isn't impassable terrain). these units would be extremely costly to build, and valuable once you have them. however, they wouldn't be able to defend themselves, as they would-like workers and settlers-have no strength and are captured if an enemy unit enters the unit's tile. a 50% chance of escaping by teleporting to your capital would be had by teleporters. since that is not losing a battle, it is winning, and therefore the teleporter gets XPs. the promotions would be different from all other units, giving it abilities to see what was around the target tile before teleporting, giving it a better escape chance, being able to carry more units, or teleport twice; since these are valuable promotions, they would cost much more XPs than promotions for other units. maybe treat promotions like research, each time it earns a promotion, you put more points towards the promotion of your choice.

nukes that kill units and buildings more powerfully: we all have had the frustration of using a nuke, only to find out that instead of destroying and killing, it only caused some unhealthiness per turn. these death sentences would destroy what it hhit and what was around it. when targeting a city, you get a more detailed city map, and choose which part to target. that area of the city is destroyed. when targeting a tile other than a city, any and all improvements, resources and units on that tile and all adjacent tiles are destroyed, turning the tiles into desert/tundra with fallout.

resource planting: you have sheep, but you want more sheep. a special "farmer" unit should be able to spread plant/animal resources by taking seeds/baby animals from your existing resources (improvements req) and planting/raising them on other tiles. different types of resources would require different technologies. horses can be spread with horseback riding, health plants with agriculture, health animals with animal husbandry, and luxury plants with calendar. farmers would be available with agriculture, the wheel, AND pottery. maybe a limit of 1 farmer per era per civ at a time? seeds/young livestock would be tradable through diplo with paper.

advanced "open borders, etc": have you ever opened borders with someone to scout out their territory, but wished that they wouldn't park their tanks in your yard? advanced open borders would let you say which types of each player's units were allowed in your territory. you could also exchange gold per turn (gpt) for rights ("i'll let your civillian, recon, melee and archery units in if you let in my recon and pay me 3gpt"). when bargaining in diplo, you can also ask the other player to change his border status with other players ("i'll let your armored units in if you keep A's gunpowder out of your territory and let B's siege in").

Superheroes: a unit that grows stronger as time goes on! this would be a special unit (not nessicarily called a superhero) that would become stronger as you gto more advanced units. its strength would be calculated with a mathematical formula, here is a suggestion (all strengths don't include promotions): 2 * the strength of the strongest unit you have + the strength of the strongest unit you can build + 1/2 the strength of the strongest unit any discovered opponent can build + 1/4 the strength of the strongest unit you have ever seen. it would be an air unit that instead of being based in a city/fort, could move around on each turn on any tile. it could also go over water too, but if it was gone from land more than 2 turns it would die. movement would most likely be double the movement of the unit with the greatest movement that you can build (roads and (if applicable) railroads included). each civ would start with ONE, and would NOT be able to build more, even if theirs died. i'm not sure what to picture them as, a dragon rider, a spartan warrior, a muscular guy in a cape, some geek with a tech-suit that can do all sorts of stuff (like jetpack, shoot lasers, etc). maybe appearance would change with the era. if the unit has space for an emblem/logo (on the cape, shield, color of dragon) than those would be the civ's colors/emblem that you would find on their flag. they could engage in combat like a land/sea unit (enter a tile with an enemy and dish out the pain) and like an air unit (see a grid, drop bombs on one tile). they would apply for all the normal promotions (bonuses in different situations) but would also have special ones (more movement, more strength, extra visibility, can stay at sea longer). they would have no penalty for amphibious assault. heroes could bombard city defenses and attack any category of unit. a possibility is intercepting rockets in a space race victory-when someone's rocket takes off, you attack it, damaging it so that it takes longer to reach its destination; if this is possible, then a good idea is to have your hero guard your ship during takeoff. these units would be f***ing bad-a$$ powerful, but having only one of them means that you'll have to watch out during war and keep your hero healthy and with lots of movement, or the enemy's hero will circle around and pwn you from behind while yours is on the other side of the earth, leaving you at their mercy. this really is a SUPERhero with SUPERpowers!!!!!

What is the focus of the game? I thought it was a global civilization simulator.

I don't understand how you can have that without also simulating certain aspects of war and economy.

from what we know and have seen of civ5 (one unit per tile, shooting over the front line) we can assume that (and firaxis has assumed that) wars will be much more focused on the lines of battle, not the stacks of death moving from one city to the next. that means that you will have to break through rows of enemy soldiers with your rows to get to the cities, just like in real life. and the hexagonal tiles just make the fighting angles more realistic and historian-pleasing. simulating historical battles will be easy in civ5; and in civ5 historic battles will happen that will be recreated for years. i'm sure many people will create scenarios where the field is set up just as it was in history, and then thousands of players will play the battle their own way from there.

Welcome to the forums, magicgunnar. :wavey:

The idea you present of quantifiable resources is a very good one, in my opinion, and one I thoroughly support, for the most part. However, it appears that in Civ 5, only strategic resources will be quantified, or have limits to their usage applied, and those limits will not be nearly as complex as what you put forth. Maybe for Civ 6...

@Geek113377- I like some of your ideas, however two in particular I have an issue with are teleportation and superheroes. Neither really fit into the historical paradigm of Civ. And they would both seem to be too overpowered.

@Geek113377- I like some of your ideas, however two in particular I have an issue with are teleportation and superheroes. Neither really fit into the historical paradigm of Civ. And they would both seem to be too overpowered.
Yes, that's true. i was actually thinking of them more for a mod than the core gameplay, but your point is a good one

Welcome to the forums, magicgunnar. :wavey:

The idea you present of quantifiable resources is a very good one, in my opinion, and one I thoroughly support, for the most part. However, it appears that in Civ 5, only strategic resources will be quantified, or have limits to their usage applied, and those limits will not be nearly as complex as what you put forth. Maybe for Civ 6...
I have found something about it here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1075587p2.html
One iron deposit, for instance, will only grant you the right to build and maintain, say, five iron-based units.

Does someone knows more? If one Iron let you have a number of iron-based units, I hope oil will let you move, say, 10 oil-based units, because you don't need oil to produce a tank. But it will probably let you have 10 oil-based units, because it simplifies a lot :)

Yeah, I'd bet that it would stay with 'have' rather than 'move'. I dare say that it will still be rather simplified and similar to the resource system in Civ 4, just with that slight bit of complexity and rationing with strategic resources.

Bridges: sometimes you have 2 bodies of land separated by 1 tile of coast. i think that some form of travel across this coast should be possible. 3 possibilities are--
a worker would build a "bridge base" on each of the land tiles that the bridge would be connected to, and then a work boat would create the actual bridge. the bases are so that the bridge knows where to connect.
work boats would have a "build bridge" icon, and when clicked, you would have to select the endpoints of the bridge.
when the "build bridge" icon was clicked on a work boat, all land tiles bordering the bridge tile would be connected.
the connected tiles would need to have roads on them. these would be modern bridges, requiring modern technologies. the bridges would be big so that boats could also pass under them.
another possibility with these bridges is to have a bridge with only one end connected to land. the other end would just be out in the sea. units would be able to go out on them. if an enemy ship was on a tile with a "pier," land units would be able to use the pier as a fighting platform and attack the ship. bridges would be able to be pillaged like any other improvement. if a land unit pillaged it, the bridge wouldn't be destroyed until that unit left, otherwise they would fall into the ocean. this could be used as a trap: pillage the bridge with a relatively weak unit, and leave it there. your enemy doesn't know that you pillaged it, so he will attack and kill you. your unit will be gone, so the bridge will blow up, dumping all unit(s) on the bridge into the sea where they will drown. the force of the explosion would also kill any sea units on the tile.
And the opposite of this, a canal, would allow sea units to travel on land tiles.

Volcano: Exploding Mountains! when i was considering buying BTS, the description of random events included volcanoes. these turned out to be "oh, the road next to a mountain was destroyed," not the deadly explosion of lava killing everything in its path that i had hoped for. when volcanoes in civ5, that would mean that a random mountain would explode, and all surrounding tiles would be turned into rock (tundra), units, resources, and improvements destroyed. there would have to be a cool animation and soundtrack to go with it. only a few volcanoes would exist, erupting every so often; not each mountain on the map exploding once.

Fords: A tile that both land and sea units could go on without any improvements. there are places on our earth where both boats and people can pass through. places like estuaries/deltas and bogs/swamps and fords, where there are water passages big enough for a small boat, but small enough for people to be able to cross. these would only be usable by smaller naval units (galleys, triremes, work boats, maybe caravels). imagine if you had a large continent with a sort of "northwest passage" going through it and leading to the orient (or the your enemy). in order for boats to pass through, you need to have a path of coast going all the way through. but if you had a water passage all the way through, then you can't get get your land units from the north of the continent to the south without putting them in a boat, which is annoying. with fords, your army can cross without a lot galleys. these tiles would probably cost 2 movement for both land and sea units. you would probably see land on 2 sides of the tile, and water on the other 2. there would be water in the middle, but you could see sand/gravel underneath the water.

canyons: you can enter the tile from 2 sides, but not the other 2. whn you have canyons in real life, they are usually long, narrow cracks in the ground. they lower gradually on the ends, making it relatively easy to enter there. the sides, however, are often steep cliffs that you can't easily go up or down. a terrain like this in civ would allow you to go in on the ends of the canyon, but you couldn't be attacked from the sides because your enemies can't get to you. units capable of ranged bombardment (see confirmed features for more info) would be able to attack from canyon walls, and that being up high on the walls would give you immense combat bonuses.

And the opposite of this, a canal, would allow sea units to travel on land tiles.

Volcano: Exploding Mountains! when i was considering buying BTS, the description of random events included volcanoes. these turned out to be "oh, the road next to a mountain was destroyed," not the deadly explosion of lava killing everything in its path that i had hoped for. when volcanoes in civ5, that would mean that a random mountain would explode, and all surrounding tiles would be turned into rock (tundra), units, resources, and improvements destroyed. there would have to be a cool animation and soundtrack to go with it. only a few volcanoes would exist, erupting every so often; not each mountain on the map exploding once.
I don't think surrounding tiles should be turned into tundra, I think the land would pretty quick be covered with bushes etc, just read about Surtsey.

When we are talking about disasters, what about asteroid impacts? Like the Tunguska Event

hello everyone, I joined a few minutes ago! since I was 11 years old I used to play civilization 1 on my Amiga 500 and it was a big fun&adventure for me while another boys were playing platform or arcade games... since childhood I was interested in history and civilization became as a bible for me when i first saw it. I remember when I came to home from school I was always finding my father playing it! And he was always saying that; ''that game is a work of art of a wide vision''. Because it was more than a battle, more than a city building... It had a great concept... and everything was possible in the game and it was up to your leadership and creativity.

Later I bought civilization 2 and it was greater...since civilization 3 many new things came to the game. Finally I purchased civilization 4... great game! and now i am 29! And one of my hobby is still civilization...

But I want to make some positive criticism;
1- When I was playing civilization 1 there was a classic historical atmosphare in the game. Close city view was great. When you capture a city or people make a celebration you would see it in animations. In civ2 it was lost. In civilization 4 I can't see close look to city(there is only zoom in).
2-since civ 3 leaders became caricaturistic I would prefer to see them more realistic and historical with diplomatic speach.
3-Since civ1 there were Mongols,Zulus,Sioux and Mali civilizations in the game. Turks never been in the game.I believe it was because wrong foresight about the Turks. If you look history since ancient times you can see Turkic Empires in every era of the history. In medieval age cities like Samarkand,Buhara,Mevr,Kashgar in central Asia was very good in science and architecture. I saw that Ottomans were in the game in Civ. It is good but false in one point. It is like to describing Chinese as Hans or Qins. Ottomans were a period of Turkish history. Before Ottomans there were Seljuk Empire and many more like Khwarezmians,Uigurs,Huns,Avars,Xiongnu etc. I am not trying to make nationalism(I am not, just a citizen of world like Diogenes!) but Turks are deserving to be in the game by the impact they did in history.

I am happy to be in this forum and to speak people who are civilization fanatics as me...! sorry for my bad English :( and have a nice day!:)

I think that after they included Ottoman Empire to the game they decided to put Hagia Sophia as a wonder in the game. But in reality it was builded by East Romans. My opinion is a wonder builded complately by Turks would represent Ottomans better. It could be Selimiye mosque or Blue mosque or Topkapi palace would be better to represent Ottoman dynasty era.

I think that after they included Ottoman Empire to the game they decided to put Hagia Sophia as a wonder in the game. But in reality it was builded by East Romans. My opinion is a wonder builded complately by Turks would represent Ottomans better. It could be Selimiye mosque or Blue mosque or Topkapi palace would be better to represent Ottoman dynasty era.

the Hagia Sofia works fine. it was an Islamic church. pretty much all of Turkish architecture came from the Byzantines, so it works just fine.

the Hagia Sofia works fine. it was an Islamic church. pretty much all of Turkish architecture came from the Byzantines, so it works just fine.

That has a partial right Mathalamus. In dome architecture there is a East Roman(Later called Byzantine) Impact and most of the mosques of ''Ottoman era'' has this impact. Plus to this some palace architectures are also from East Roman architecture. But the architecture echole from Seljuk times(10-12th century) has a more different structure there are no dome but they have big portals and turquise ceramics. They use a turquise conical structure for dome. This difference is because of close contact of Ottomans to Byzantines. Seljuk architecture is more central asian. So Mathalamus we can say many architecture in Ottoman time is comming from Byzantine except: caravansarays and medreses(univercities) because they were still using Seljuk architecture. By the way Byzantine is a great civilization. My home city is Istanbul and I know their under ground tunels they are amazing! I recomend you to search them... have a nice day!

Welcome to the forums. :wavey:

2-since civ 3 leaders became caricaturistic I would prefer to see them more realistic and historical with diplomatic speach.

The leaders in Civ V look like they will be less cartoonish, you will be happy to hear. And will speak in their native tongue. Although by 'diplomatic speech' do you mean that they should talk in more diplomatic terms, rather than only coming out with one-liners like in Civ 4?

Welcome to the forums. :wavey:

The leaders in Civ V look like they will be less cartoonish, you will be happy to hear. And will speak in their native tongue. Although by 'diplomatic speech' do you mean that they should talk in more diplomatic terms, rather than only coming out with one-liners like in Civ 4?

Thank you for your warm welcome Camikaze, I am glad to be here! :)

you understood what I wanted to say... I can't imagine Otto von Bismarck or Chenghiz Khan to speak these one-liners :) Yes I know this is a game but to feel like speaking to Chenghiz Khan in his own style diplomatic or speaking with Bismarck as if you are really speaking with a great state leader would be more fun I thought... Every leader should has his own diplomatic strategy intel and dialogues should be more realistic and politic. In my opinion Civ1&Civ2 were better in this subject.

I always thought idea to high tech weapon sale to backward civilizations who are unable to produce these weapons with their technology like in our world today would be fun and more realistic. in our world no one is fighting with legions and phalanx versus tanks.

In diplomatic screen there should be a weapon sale agreement for example a civilization who are back in science and has money so should buy tanks or fighter planes. Or they could want you to build a reactor in one or more of their cities.

I completely agree with the concept of a limited mercenary system. Not only would it allow for much more interesting diplomacy, but it would open up the door for a much improved economic system, with the greater possibility of specialisation.

I want nuclear deterrance. Real power in nukes so that the AI will think very carefully about attacking you, especially with their own nukes, if you have an arsenal. Nukes should be very hard to get hold of.

I have new ideas;

1-In colonization 1 your civilization,city and army were depending on your citizens as in real life. And this was fantastic to give specialities to your citizens. In civ 5 every unit may need an amound of man from your city to equip them as military units for example 500 men for a legion or 4 men for a tank or 200 men for a destroyer. and we can unequip them when we want and stock un used weapons in the city.

2-we may sell an amound of these stocked weapons to another nations as weapon trade as i said before

3-weapon production as in colonisation. for example to produce a legion unit we could need iron as resource and blacksmith or armory.Or if you will build a nuclear submarine than naval yard building and uranium resource and it will be produced as in colonization to stocks then will be equiped with your citizens. And they will have conscript,regular,veteran and elite levels by combat experience and also training experience throught barracks. We will set % expenses to military training in barracks that will make your soldiers better or worse than your enemies.

4-apearence of same units are different from nation to nation.For example A Chinese pikeman will be different than English pikeman.

I want too much?:king:

Top Bottom