Civ VI Funny/Strange Screenshots

Don't get me wrong. I love rain myself. This is just the general sentiment people have about such weather.
In Israel we have only two seasons: autumn and HELL, so I hate summer myself.
Trust me, I also hate summer, and I'm not from Israel, but from the Czech Republic :p

output_Lazr9k.gif

And... Cleo...are you having electric shocks?

No one wants Wilhelmina? She is literally a walking gif collection lol, creating memorable facial expressions in every second.

Spoiler Wilhelmina :

output_Sy4uJT.gif
output_MbCCVQ.gif

Indeed, I'm constantly disappointed that they have so much reaction gif potential but there seem to be very few easily available ones :(

I NEED Hojo's rejected trade deal double-take. It would work in so many situations :D
agree. Civ VI is one of the best sources of gif I have ever seen.

Pretty waterlogged at the moment. Welcome to Wettington State.
That sounds perfect. :D

Don't get me wrong. I love rain myself. This is just the general sentiment people have about such weather.
In Israel we have only two seasons: autumn and HELL, so I hate summer myself.
Florida also has two seasons: extremely hot and extremely wet, and slightly less hot and dry. :p Those summer thunderstorms are the only thing I like about the place, though--when they're not hurricanes. :p

I need more civ6 leader gifs
So true. I was looking for CdM's patronizing clap recently and couldn't find it.

Trust me, I also hate summer, and I'm not from Israel, but from the Czech Republic :p

We have all four seasons from Jan to March, in where I live.

You can get warm, foggy and rainy on Monday, like spring. Water drops will hang on walls and ceilings if we don't turn on air-driers
And then suddenly the temperature sinks to ~12'C tomorrow or after tomorrow, along with the rainy days.
Then it gets drier and drier and heats up to 25'C on Saturday.
Finally a rain comes on Sunday and the weather cycles on its own, returning to spring on Mon.

Either we get heat stroke Saturday,
or catch a cold on Wednesday,
or just become sick as being unable to withstand the ever changing temp and humidity.

Here's a funny screenshot:

View attachment 489169
Spreading Happiness to the world, one civ at a time.

All other religions are depressing.

This is my cheese Deity game by the way.
I just found the funniest part of this screenshot: Kongo chose a pantheon belief that adds extra faith to Holy Sites. Which it can't build in the first place. :lol:

I just found the funniest part of this screenshot: Kongo chose a pantheon belief that adds extra faith to Holy Sites. Which it can't build in the first place. :lol:

Yeah, I saw one like that the other day where Khmer had chosen, as part of it's religion, Burial Grounds to culture bomb with Holy Sites... which, of course, their civ already has built in.

:crazyeye:

One of the things I love about Civ is launching satellites into space in the 18th century!
Some say we should have developed much faster with technology, if it weren't for various historical set backs. Our modern times is especially bad this way...Can you imagine the progress we would have been in the last decade if the governments put the same amount of money they do into the military into scientific fields instead?

Check this out:

Personally, I'd prefer if all that money went to medical research and hospitals. A man can dream...a man can dream...

@Greywulf To be fair, militarization has always been a big factor in scientific advancement. We probably wouldn't even have NASA if the government didn't think it could get military benefits out of it (though the civilian sector and medical fields have both benefited enormously from NASA). Also the advancement of technology and theoretical science don't necessarily go hand in hand. Medieval Europe, for example, is often denigrated as a period when science stagnated, yet the Medieval period experienced a huge boom in technological advancement that was in many ways the beginning of the technological boom that would lead to the Industrial Revolution and the rapid advance of technology in the 20th and 21st centuries.

But yeah, the problem with most 4X games' tech trees is that they're linear, and real technology doesn't work that way (and no, Beyond Earth's abominable "tech web" was not an improvement). I mean, it's linear in the sense that certain things are a prerequisite for certain other things (you're not going to have metallurgy without pottery; you're not going to have steam engines without cheap steel; you're not going to have telescopes without clear glass), but it also ignores the fact that technology diffuses. I mean, writing was independently invented only three times in human history: once in Mesopotamia, once in China, and once in Mesoamerica--everyone else got writing by diffusion, whether or not their script descends from one of those three. Likewise, agriculture diffused from the Near East into Europe, Asia, and Africa, and from Mesoamerica into North and South America. The non-linearity of technology and science is difficult to simulate; the only solution I can think of is random technologies like Stelaris does, and I think that solution is inelegant. However, I think that something really should be done about diffusion. Perhaps if a nearby civilization has researched certain techs (not everything spreads by diffusion), it becomes easier to research for nearby civs.

@Greywulf To be fair, militarization has always been a big factor in scientific advancement. We probably wouldn't even have NASA if the government didn't think it could get military benefits out of it (though the civilian sector and medical fields have both benefited enormously from NASA). Also the advancement of technology and theoretical science don't necessarily go hand in hand. Medieval Europe, for example, is often denigrated as a period when science stagnated, yet the Medieval period experienced a huge boom in technological advancement that was in many ways the beginning of the technological boom that would lead to the Industrial Revolution and the rapid advance of technology in the 20th and 21st centuries.

But yeah, the problem with most 4X games' tech trees is that they're linear, and real technology doesn't work that way (and no, Beyond Earth's abominable "tech web" was not an improvement). I mean, it's linear in the sense that certain things are a prerequisite for certain other things (you're not going to have metallurgy without pottery; you're not going to have steam engines without cheap steel; you're not going to have telescopes without clear glass), but it also ignores the fact that technology diffuses. I mean, writing was independently invented only three times in human history: once in Mesopotamia, once in China, and once in Mesoamerica--everyone else got writing by diffusion, whether or not their script descends from one of those three. Likewise, agriculture diffused from the Near East into Europe, Asia, and Africa, and from Mesoamerica into North and South America. The non-linearity of technology and science is difficult to simulate; the only solution I can think of is random technologies like Stelaris does, and I think that solution is inelegant. However, I think that something really should be done about diffusion. Perhaps if a nearby civilization has researched certain techs (not everything spreads by diffusion), it becomes easier to research for nearby civs.

There is some evidence for a third 'start' to agriculture in cultivated taro in New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, of all places, but it dates back over 20,000 years and seems to have gone nowhere...

The problem of technology diffusion is that most technologies only diffused if the recipient had a Need for the technology. Classic Example: the Aztecs and possibly some other Mesoamerican Civs knew about the wheel, but only applied it to children's toys - without draft animals, the wheel simply wasn't that useful to them. Likewise, books surviving from the Library/Museum at Alexandria show that they had a pretty good idea of how hydraulic and pneumatic and even hot air/steam could be used to Make Things Go - in other words, all the Theoretical Knowledge to build steam engines. BUT steam engines require very precise fabrication of cylinders and pistons and the metallurgical knowledge simply wasn't available - cheap human labor was used instead for another 1700 years or so, until the Applied Technology caught up with Theory.

On a more modern note, and hysterically applicable to Civ VI, Brazil had all the knowledge of how to build Battleships, but, along with most of the world, did not have the industrial infrastructure required to build them. So the Minas Geraes was built in Britain - and then Upgraded in the USA, because Brazil couldn't even build a batlleship boiler, let alone the rest of the ship.

I have been fiddling with a Possible Alternative Technology 'Tree' ever since Civ V, in which the basic structure would be a Tree of General or Theoretical Knowledge, but under each such 'Tech' would be the Applications of that knowledge, which would have very specific Need Requirements.

For example, you may get The Wheel through diffusion or 'research'. Under that are Applications like Chariot, Potter's Wheel, and/or Multi-Axle Wagon. You can research these, but the research will be very long and expensive unless you have Bonuses, and all the Bonuses are related to whether you can actually use them. For obvious instance, if you don't have Pottery (like, because you have a sophisticated Weaving Technology for baskets and such as they had up here in the Pacific Northwest), it will take you a long, long time to come up with a Potter's Wheel, and so you will not get Decorated Pottery as a Trade Good (as in the black and red-figure ware from Corinth and Athens that has been found al over Europe and the Med). Chariots and Wagons will be practically 'unresearchable' unless you have Draft Animals - horses or cattle (oxen).

This 'system' is requiring a lot of time which I don't have at the moment, but the idea is that even with a basic Tech Tree that is linear, conditions in each game will 'warp' the actual Applied Technology that each Civ develops. In later stages of the game, Industrial Era and onwards, the ability to 'apply' technology will increasingly be dependent on developing the Infrastructure to use it: without a Major Shipyard and factories that can build 11 to 16 inch guns, 1000 ton sheets of armor plate, and shipways to hold 1000 foot long hulls, you Cannot Build a Battleship no matter how much technology you have researched.

Yes, militarization has indeed been a technology boost, but we know that is not the only way humans can progress with technology. Can you imagine what we might achieve in a short period of time if 600 Billion dollars per year was given to medical research and technology, or to space research and technology? And that is merely for America's contribution to science and tech...Other countries could also put a lot more into these things, although America is particularly noteworthy, as they put in an incredible amount into their military budget...They certainly out do everybody else with this. No body else comes close to how much money they spend on their military as America does...One would think they could spare some money for other things.

Top Bottom