Civ VI is done. So how does Civ V look in comparison?

I know people criticize the cartoon graphics, but I actually don't mind it, and plus it is what we had for Civ Rev. Which was so much fun to play.

Well yes, 2K+Firaxis consolidated the PC Civ and console Civ into one game that ran on PC and console.

Perhaps not an unexpected move, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
I think console and mobile gamers are alright with Civ VI (apart from major bugs on Xbox).

I play Civ VI on the Switch and IMO that port was incredibly good. (I suspect they got help from Nintendo for the port, that's why it was an exclusive for a whole year).

Gamers who wanted a more mature and expansive experience were disappointed.
Like with Civ VI none of us can play super massive maps we used to be able to play in Civ V, for example. It's very disappointing.

Civ 5 still better than Civ 6 because it doesn't crash every single turn

I have had a bit of crashing lately - usually because of a lot going on late-ish game. A quick reload always solves the problem (thank god for autosave!) so its not a biggie.

I would have agreed with you about Civ 5 being better maybe a couple of years back but now - I couldn't go back to previous Civ games after playing Civ 6 a fair bit now. Its not perfect but its even more addictive if anything.

I would have agreed with you about Civ 5 being better maybe a couple of years back but now - I couldn't go back to previous Civ games after playing Civ 6 a fair bit now.

The best way to compare games is to play the same map.
Almost all Civ games have Inland Sea.

Compare playing Civ V vs. Civ VI on that map.

I recently started to play Into The Renaissance again. And it is such an amazing scenario. Lots of strategy at play: Holy City control; control of chokepoints - Gibraltar, Constantinople; and city state alliances.
If you play a Med map in Civ VI, there isn't so much strategy. Just expand furiously.

I think that "strategy" should be the litmus test for how good a 4X game is.

When I had civ 5 I had gold and the BNW expansion and when that happened, Civ 5 had more emphasis on tourism and trade routes since they were new and seemed so awesome. Now civ 6 broadened everything out particularly in the new frontier passes. Civ 6 was obviously better since it had more space for works of arts, works of whatever it is needed. The only issue with making culture in civ 6 and the reason why I didn't make as much culture in civ 6 is because the great people that make great works were over-born! What I mean by over-born is that when I made a cultural site and made up to the museum, the great works piled up and eventually there was no more space for great works. I focused more on military to try to expand the civilization to other cities and get those great people more space to build up more works. The secret societies also worked. Many works of art slots helped out in the beginning with the unique monument which added 2 great works of writing added up that gave a lot more space for great works of writing.

Great works of art and other slots for artifacts and sea artifacts are many and now there's hardly any time to obtain them all like it used to in civ 5. Even in civ 5 all of the slots were filled..
Overall, civ 6 is better because it just adds more slots, more artifacts and more works of arts along with sculptures and photos which sometimes its hard to have time to explore. Many of the things in there needed plenty of time to go through because civilization 6 was even bigger which is bad but when the time comes, its better because its there.

I have to admit that combats are much more enjoyable (animations : on) than the Civ6 ones. I have no clue why they deleted people to units, except for a better performance.
On the other hand, Civ6 combats are much more enjoyable (animations : off :D ) than the Civ5 ones. Hopefully in Civ7 we will have the best of both worlds. (especially if battles happen to be more complex, with 1 unit per class per tile for example, I mean "more complex" for the computer, not us players, except as to know how to build up our armies - simple : put everything last-in-date in it, the more slots are filled the better it is)

Civ 6 was obviously better since it had more space for works of arts, works of whatever it is needed.

Yes, you are right that the art work and curating art is significantly better in Civ VI.
Also the culture victory is much better.

In Civ V culture win is a bit obscure.

Also the civs are more culturally appropriate and better designed in Civ VI (with the exception of Shaka/The Zulu and Genghis/Mongolia and perhaps France and America).

BUT overall Civ V will give you a better game because there aren't like a million exploits and bugs and the AI will at least build a navy and air force to combat you in addition to the points I've mentioned.

I came back to Civ V recently after a long time not playing it. Every experience has been just ok (I probably just forgot how to play, tbh). Managing happiness is a big chore nor something that I'm fond of doing (really limits your empire to 4-ish cities which isn't too fun, and de-incentivizes war). It seems like I'm missing the core strategy to focus on to really get ahead of the AI. Ultimately I stop playing around the late Medieval era. Learning the mechanics aren't as fun to me, or obvious as to how to do it.

Civ VI I feel like I understand better (because of youtubers most likely) but also feels unfun because the AI is not challenging, and barbarians are really tilting / unfun to play against. Some AI behaviors are really crazy (how is the AI this bad at air combat)? Civ VI feels very unfinished and unbalanced to me.

And about combine unit to form a coorporation, I don't know if I like it. Because I need to pay attention about xp of the units before combine them.
Also I was very uneasy with loyality mechanics, I need to have a so bigger army strong enought to recaught the unlloyal cities almost every 3 turns, it's to short!
I hope Civ 7 let'us freely conquer the world without any pennalty. CIv 5 also had the happness system who oblie us have unit in every city was not cool either.

I came back to Civ V recently after a long time not playing it. Every experience has been just ok (I probably just forgot how to play, tbh). Managing happiness is a big chore nor something that I'm fond of doing (really limits your empire to 4-ish cities which isn't too fun, and de-incentivizes war). It seems like I'm missing the core strategy to focus on to really get ahead of the AI,

Yeah, I always really disliked the happiness system in Civ 5. Always incredibly annoying.

So I made mods for it! Now players can build houses that generate happiness, and less unhappiness is generally generated.

Look at the mod in my sig below.

Yeah, I always really disliked the happiness system in Civ 5. Always incredibly annoying.

So I made mods for it! Now players can build houses that generate happiness, and less unhappiness is generally generated.

Look at the mod in my sig below.
In Civ 5, in a domination victory, is very hard to don't have high unhappniss. I don't like to haze citis what made my unhappniss even bigger. But with the aztecs I get some advantage of my bad unhappniss. Because the "barbarian" units who spawn near my city was converted in culture points when I defeated them

Wait, what is the link between unhappiness and culture ?
In civ 5, for each unit killed by the aztecs, you won culture. And when your unhapness is high spawn enemy units in your territory. If you kill this unity you win culture (as Aztecs). One of the ways to healve the unhappnis in civ5 is to have one unit per city, so when the enemy unit spawn you have a unit close enought to kill them.

Gonna cast my thoughts that I found Civ VI infinitely more playable for me (even after two expansions and the DLC Civ V has too many things that make me dissatisfied compared to VI even if it is an improvement over the initial V release), but yes, the storytelling/AI agendas is ridiculous. Gotta agree with Zaarin that the victory conditions feel like chores to end the game as fast as possible (and religion is a chore) rather than anything meaningful.

In the end, a strong game that could use some refinement on the leader agendas (as always, leader behavior in every game has been wacky to some degree because it;s a computer) and making victory/involvement in it more exciting.

Civ V without Vox Populi mod is a bad game, where winning strategy is 4 cities focused on science and food. With Vox Populi is much better, with good AI, but I still like Civ VI more with UI, QoL and AI mods, even though AI is rather weak. But it's still more enjoyable.

Civ VI is like a SimCiv game - you just build stuff and AI is non-issue. Civ V with vox populi is a real Civ-style game where you are in competition with other Civs. A Deity victory on Civ VI is a joke unlike earlier Civ games.
CiV with Vox Populi isn't CiV, so I'm not sure what the point of the comparison is aside from "I really like this mod" (which, fair).

Personally, I wasn't able to go back to V once I picked up VI. The Districts in particular, as well as the Wonder choices, just made the building metagame far more engaging and less one-note.

CiV with Vox Populi isn't CiV, so I'm not sure what the point of the comparison is aside from "I really like this mod" (which, fair).

Personally, I wasn't able to go back to V once I picked up VI. The Districts in particular, as well as the Wonder choices, just made the building metagame far more engaging and less one-note.
Why should I not compare Civ VI to Civ V with VP? I do compare it, because everyone have a choice to play with the mod for free that makes the game so much better, so why should I disregard the option? We are not limited to what original developers did (thanks god). And I've also compared it to Civ V without the VP, so it's on topic.

Top Bottom