Civ3 Complete on the newer Mac OS

Hi all,
After a little bit of searching around here, I found that you have to download and install the Rev A Patch, and then also install the Aspyr fix to get it going on intel.

I've got a question. How do you install the Rev A patch? The patch itself is a PowerPC application. Did Aspyr release a patch for the patch to make it a universal binary? That is how I am reading Xman5eleven's post, but I could not find any more information on this mystery "patch for the patch". Can someone please provide me with some advice on how to upgrade C3C to Rev A?

I know that I could always hunt down somebody with a PPC and compile it on their machine, but if there is an easier way I am all for it. Thanks!

First question: Are you sure you need to run the Rev A patch? If you have a recently purchased copy of C3C then it should already install Rev A. Did you try running it as installed?

If you do have an old DVD copy that is not universal, then as far as I know your only options are:

(a) find someone with an older copy of OS X (Snow Leopard or earlier) that can run Rosetta to run the PowePC-only patch

(b) buy Civ3 again. You can download it from GameAgent for USD 20.

I'm going old-skool, off of the Aspyr DVD, so I need to run the Rev A patch. I'm generally not a fan of buying software a second time, especially because it isn't being updated anymore (the full-screen bug that has now been present for some time).

It's too bad that I have to find someone with Rosetta :( I was hoping there was going to be an easier way.

Thank you very much! I'm really glad to hear civ 3 isn't outdated in newer macs!
So would you recommend I wait until OS 10.8 comes out to get C3C or would it not matter?

I've been playing CIV 3 complete on my Imac ( which was built in 2010 ) for about a year now. It plays fine on full screen though I wish there were a way to shrink the screen so I could listen to Itunes at the same time. It does crash on occasion which is annoying though. I haven't upgraded to Lion because supposedly it will not allow you to play older Mac games like Diablo 3, Civ3 and the like. I tried Civ4 and found it to be absolutely unplayable. The AI is too aggressive and I kept losing.

Anyone know where I can find a WWII scenario on here ? I don't know what forum it would be in. I've been playing the Japanese conquest scenario and have had good luck with the Japanese, none with the Allies.

I run Civ3 Complete on my Mac in Lion, and it runs fine in window mode. Have you held the Command key down while you launch Civ3? You should get a Preferences dialog box where you can select full screen or window mode, and choose between multiple monitors if you have them. You can also choose to open the Preferences each time you start Civ3, making it easier to switch modes.

Attachments

• civ3Prefs.png
    civ3Prefs.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 215
:wavey:
Welcome!

Looks like AlanH already answered your main question.
Anyone know where I can find a WWII scenario on here ? I don't know what forum it would be in. I've been playing the Japanese conquest scenario and have had good luck with the Japanese, none with the Allies.
You're looking for the Civ 3 Creation & Customization forum. That's the place I spend most of my CFC time. Ready to play scenarios are to be found in both the Scenarios & in the Modpacks subforums. if you have trouble installing something I can help you figure it out.

I hope someone is in here with some good ole' knowledge,

I just recently bought Civ 3 complete for my mac book 10.5.8 and I am having some similar problems: I can't get the game to start!? Any tips for this old mac book user? Thanks!

I am using Civ3 Complete on a Macbook with Intel chip running 10.5.8, and noticing that some of the graphic animations and sounds are a big odd. Do I need to download something for this?

I have a mid-2010 11" MacBook Pro with Mavericks (OS X 10.9) installed. Civ3 Complete runs fine on it.

Rev A is required if you are in anything later than OS X 10.6, as the unpatched version is PowerPC only, and needs Rosetta in order to run on an Intel system. Rosetta is a optional installation on OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and is not supported at all on OS X 10.6 or later.

The only possible problem is that the old installer was PowerPC-only. I don't know whether Aspyr now ship a disk with a Universal installer. If they do, then it will probably also be Rev A, and will not need updating. If they don't then you will not be able to install it unless you have an old version of OS X. I suggest you contact them before buying, and ask if it will install on your version of OS X.

[PS] Someone has just posted about the download version from GameAgent/Aspyr. I guess they must have installed it OK. I wasn't even aware that it was available as a download! :blush:

[PS] Someone has just posted about the download version from GameAgent/Aspyr. I guess they must have installed it OK. I wasn't even aware that it was available as a download! :blush:

Yeah, that was me. I just bit the bullet and got it, and it works fine. I would suggest getting it there!

I have a mid-2010 11" MacBook Pro with Mavericks (OS X 10.9) installed. Civ3 Complete runs fine on it.

Hi, I am a guy from China, and I love Civ3 very much. (Civ3 Only , maybe civ2 is fine too, but I really don't like civ4 and civ5)..
I have a mac mini,macos 10.9 installed, I want play civ3 on that , but I can only play it on windows mode.

you said civ3 runs fine on you mac, do you means play on fullscreen mode ?

Hi, welcome.

I never play games in fullscreen mode, but I just started it up in full screen and it seems to be fine. What happens if you try?

Hi, welcome.

I never play games in fullscreen mode, but I just started it up in full screen and it seems to be fine. What happens if you try?

well, the program just dissappear and nothing else happen ... :(
no tips or any crash report..
maybe because the graphy card ? My mac mini use the Intel CPU combined GraphyCard.. ... :crazyeye:

Hi, welcome.

I think that is because you guys metioned "Rev A patch" thing.. and seemd it is not works anymore... the only way is copy civ3 form a patched Mac..

How can I get it ?... any guy can transfer it to me ? :) :lol: I got skype ..

:confused:

You shouldn't be able to run Civ3 Complete at all without the Rev A patch, as it is a PowerPC-only app and isn't supported in OS 9.

You can probably get Aspyr to send you the Rev A version if you contact their support. They may need you to send them a scan of your Civ3 disk as proof that you own it.

:confused:

You shouldn't be able to run Civ3 Complete at all without the Rev A patch, as it is a PowerPC-only app and isn't supported in OS 9.

You can probably get Aspyr to send you the Rev A version if you contact their support. They may need you to send them a scan of your Civ3 disk as proof that you own it.

I am tired with all of this . .. well , I think I should just play it on PC...
thank you any way . You are great :D

replying to "I just bought it and finally got it to run after I switched to window-mode. I got the download version so there was no need to get the rev A update. Game runs really well. Thanks a bunch! " Xman7eleven

Civilization 3 complete.
Where did you get it? Aspyr says it's not available?

Where did you get it? Aspyr says it's not available?

I just noticed this post, and went to the Aspyr website, and can confirm it says it is no longer available to download/buy.

This is a real shame! I bought my version from there (twice, as when I upgraded to a new computer, the Aspyr website was so crappy I couldn't find out how to redownload it!). Now there is no way to buy a digital copy for Mac - C3C is available on Steam, but Windows only.

Does anyone know why Asypr would pull it from their store? Is this related to the multiplayer component being migrated from Gamespy to Steamworks? I really hope a digital copy for Mac becomes available again soon - it would be a tragedy for this game to become lost to the mists of time!

Top Bottom