1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ3 Complete on the newer Mac OS

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Macintosh' started by Xman5eleven, Apr 26, 2012.

1. batwood728

batwood728 Chieftain

I just upgraded my 2011 era MacBook to El Capitan, and now I can't get Civ III to open. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, was there a solution? Thanks....

2. nick0515

nick0515 Fantasy World Builder

Is there any way to buy a download version of Civ 3 complete for Mac? Civ 3 on Steam seems to only be the windows version.

3. LeRaposa

LeRaposa Chieftain

I've been wondering the same thing. It seems Aspyr had it available digitally a few years ago but it's not available anymore. It appears that the download was Power PC only for some reason. Despite that GameAgent (which I think is run by Aspyr themselves) said it would run perfectly on Intel Macs, apparently it could not run at all. I'm not sure what's wrong with Aspyr. They have exclusive rights to Civilization on Mac but they're refusing to make this game available. Granted Aspyr is a fairly terrible company but this is a new low even for them. I think they also have exclusive Mac rights to Star Wars games too but they've done the same thing with some of those games.

4. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I'm not aware of any download option. I was hoping someone else might have better information than I do.

5. Acronym

Acronym Chieftain

Has anyone else had any experience of running Civ 3 on El Capitan? Thinking about upgrading from Yosemite - every upgrade I'm sure will be the last for Civ 3, but it seemed to manage Yosemite fine.

6. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Sorry, haven't tried it yet. I'm probably going to upgrade from Yosemite soon, so watch this space.

7. jdrake

jdrake Chieftain

I have a MacBook 2017 edition, which of course has no cd/DVD player. It runs Sierra. I am looking for a way to play civ3 on it without going to a windows emulator of any kind. Is there a digital downloadable version somewhere out there? I clicked on all the links provided on this thread but I guess they are too old as none of them seem to work.

8. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

There is a steam version. Be sure to check the C3 C&C subforum as there are some specifics about changing one or two of the text files if you have trouble with some of the mods with the steam version.

9. jdrake

jdrake Chieftain

Sorry, new here. Quick question: does the steam version require me to be online to play? I really want to be able to play during long flights :) So I want a native Mac version that requires no CD and can be played offline.

10. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

It requires that you log in but you can then play offline as long as you don't close Steam/turn off your laptop. Putting your laptop in sleep mode will still allow you to play Civ3 when you start it back up.

So in theory, you can log in to Steam before getting on the plane and then enjoy offline games while on-board. It's not a game with cloud syncing or anything of that sort.

11. jdrake

jdrake Chieftain

Thanks!

12. jdrake

jdrake Chieftain