Civ3 PTW Patch v1.14f Released!

I received PTW this morning,the version is1.01f.I tried to download 1.14f but the game does not accept this version,does anyone know why?English version,I.E.England.

i am going to buy the english (UK) version of ptw, should i download the "Play the World v1.14f Patch (US)" patch, or is this the wrong one? will there be a UK or european patch that i will need to download instead?

i have heard that the cd no longer works if u install the wrong patch thou......

u know what really sucks is dail up users are left out. I have been very loyal to civ series and not because of choice,i cant play multiplayer bcause of my ping.....and it is doable, maybe faraxis should give blizzard a call and ask them how to make a stable mp for all of its customers....i paid 30$ for a patch for a option i cant use!

I finally dared the waters of the new patch MP. I tried internet connecting with one player with a green light ping. And you know what, first try, there was a out of synch crash. Second try, the game was as laggy as it had been before.

I am going to have to get myself used to the idea that if I want an online strategy turn based game, Civ3 is not it. And probably won't be. It is a great single player game, and the PBEM is fun. But it isn't an online MP game. And I don't see how it ever will be. :(

I'm probably the only person in Afghanistan who has Play The World on their computer. I'm here with the U.S. Military, and I recieved it as an early christmas present. I created a world map that's 362x362 squares, and a scenario using all 24 standard civilizations, plus 4 I created myself. While playing this scenario, I hit the "Too Many Cities" limit at around 250 BC, when most civilizations were still expanding and there was plenty of empty space; has anybody else hit this wall? What is the maximum number of cities?
Downloading things here is a pain (somebody was complaining about 3 kb/sec rate; that's about twice the speed of my connection), but if there was a fix on the patch increasing the city limit, I'd take the time to download it. It's not listed on the readme for this patch, but I see it as kind of a problem

512 cities is the max; at least it was with 1.29. With 28 civs, that's eighteen cities if it's all divided equally. If it's 24, and I misread, again, only 21 cities each if divided equally.

You seem to have done your math correctly; 512 cities is a lot on a 160x160 map (or even a 180x180); I've never even hit the limit on the 256x256 map (yet!), but the new map size has more than 4 times the area of the standard Huge map. Adjusting the max up to 1024 or even just to 768 would be a good thing.

Switching gears a bit, this is from the chat:

Q: I got suggestion about war in sim moves and turnless mode - THERE SHOULD BE ABILITY TO SWICH MODES TO TURN BASED when you go to war.. because war shouldn't be won by one who clicks mouse faster
A: <+Jeff_Morris_FIRAXIS> Good idea.

THIS is the main reason why I play the Civ series and not one of the GAZILLIONS of REAL-TIME games on the market today. My 2 cents.

you would provbably like my post here then as i hate click frenzies too.

Also , I haven't built any Harbours or Airports in MP yet, but have they fixed the interminable delay before each of these constructions yet? I have to wait at least 5 minutes each time I build one on my single player Civ3

I have to agree, turnbased often leads to a more thinking game, than 'Realtimes' frenzyclicking. (MOO)

But there have been games that have managed to combine this different styles. M.A.X was the first i encountered and i still play that game. (to bad M.A.X 2 was even a worse release than PTW was)

My 2 nok's

PTW was a horrific release... but cause of 1.14f the game is actually playable now. I have played several games, but here is the problem:

People have no concept of taking a break in a game, I know I don't. So after 2-3 hours of playing people get burned out and want to quit.

I guess we will have to start forcing discipline to break every hour no matter what and take 15 min breaks or something; in single player mode you can get up whenever you want... and in other online games there are ample opportunities too, whether its EQ or MOHAA.

If Dan or any other Firaxis Personnel are reading;

Please have a look at the nasty 'back to desktop' crash/bug that happens when you press 'F3' for military screen.

When the F3 key is pressed, 60-70% of the time CIV3/PTW
gives a 'Civ3x has caused an error...etc.' message and goes to desktop.

It is the only flaw in an otherwise great SP experience.

I cannot play the product until this bug is fixed...the Military screen is required to be accessed all the time.

This slowness of the scroll bars in the military screen is another issue, not a really bad one though.

But the F3 bug is really ruining the game experience for me.

A fix for this in the next pacth would assure my loyalty as a CIV product buyer.

:)

I have 1.04f installed and I have added a few units to the game, if I install this new patch will I lose my custom units? Thanks, Shramj

Originally posted by shramj
I have 1.04f installed and I have added a few units to the game, if I install this new patch will I lose my custom units? Thanks, Shramj

Nope, you will still have your custom units :).

Top Bottom