Civ4 documentation wiki

Just wanted to bump this and draw attention to it again. (This should really be stickied...)

Some statistics from Apolyton's one:
http://modiki.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Special:Statistics said:
Site statistics

There are 1052 total pages in the database. This includes "talk" pages, pages about Civ4 Modding Wiki, minimal "stub" pages, redirects, and others that probably don't qualify as content pages. Excluding those, there are 43 pages that are probably legitimate content pages.

There have been a total of 18222 page views, and 428 page edits since the wiki was setup. That comes to 0.41 average edits per page, and 42.57 views per edit.
User statistics

There are 38 registered users. 2 of these are administrators (see Project:Administrators).

And us:
http://civ4wiki.com/wiki/index.php/Special:Statistics said:
Civ4Wiki statistics

There are 1,815 total pages in the database. This includes "talk" pages, pages about Civ4Wiki, minimal "stub" pages, redirects, and others that probably don't qualify as content pages. Excluding those, there are 202 pages that are probably legitimate content pages.

There have been a total of 23,669 page views, and 1,436 page edits since the wiki was setup. That comes to 0.79 average edits per page, and 16.48 views per edit.
User statistics

There are 43 registered users, of which 3 (or 6.98%) are administrators (see Project:Administrators).

Thats 150 more pages that we have, but only 5000 more views. Lets continue to pull ahead! :D

I added about a half-dozen partial explanations for various files, and could do around 20 more. From the posts I've been seeing here quite a few folks have found out what certain variables do, but only post them in passing; it'd be great if they'd take a few minutes to immortalize at least a bit of their hard-won knowledge. Not only for the newbs, but also for those of us who've figured out variables x and y but not z.

Max

Yeah I have at least 5 other files done. It's just I don't have a lot of time to post them. I'll try and add some of them tommarow.

What is the consensus on Civ IV manual usage?

I mean, it's undoubtedly copywritten by Firaxis - but I'd be most surprised if they were annoyed at its contents being in wiki form (as base content to start a lot of pages - the pages would then diverge from the manual state).

:bump:

Any news on the merger?

Also, we appear to have some bot or something vandalising us occasionaly. Is there anything we can do to stop that?

The merger has run in to a snag in that I can't get the database utility to export my database to an xml file. It went on hold for a while because everyone was on vacation over the holidays. We're trying to get it worked out now.

Not a lot can be done about the vandalism short of making everyone sign in to edit and then disabling signups. That's one of the pitfalls of wikis. If you see a vandalized page please change it back and then send me a message using the talk feature of the wiki. I'll ban the person. I try to check all of the new edits every day, but I've been away from my computer for 3 weeks.

It also looks like my server just went down. I'll talk to my host to see how long it will take to get back up.

The wiki is now back up!

No news about the merger yet :mischief:

Sorry, don't mean to be a p.i.t.a., but I'm just holding off entering new info, because I don't want to risk it getting lost in a merger. :)

Isak said:
No news about the merger yet :mischief:

Sorry, don't mean to be a p.i.t.a., but I'm just holding off entering new info, because I don't want to risk it getting lost in a merger. :)
I wouldn't worry about it getting lost. There'll be backups made before anything gets potentially overwritten. If you put it on both wikis, then there's no way it can be lost. ;)

I'll have to email MarkG again. I couldn't get the database dump utility to work on my end, so he was going to give it a shot.

Don't worry. I've been keeping an eye on you. ;)

This thread is the appropriate place to discuss the wiki. You can also use the discussion pages for each article, but those probably aren't actively monitored.

Also, if you want to contact me directly use the talk page on the wiki. I usually scan the edits 3-4 times a day so I'll see any messages as soon as I log on.

The Great Apple said:
:bump:

Will that merger ever happen?
*sigh* I don't know. Communication kind of just died off with Apolyton. Partly my fault.

Hi folks,

I'm getting back into Civ4 after a long hiatus,

I like to analyze stuff, and have a bunch of stuff in Excel format from before. I just tried uploading it and the wiki just wants pictures. Take a look at the attached file - But do a Print or Print Preview on tab Health2 or Health1 to cut to the chase.

Can we have the wiki expanded to allow other formats? I hope I don't offend anybody to say I hate making wiki tables, but love wikis. That is, I wouldn't want to reformat my findings, but just post Excels or Pdfs of the results. With plenty of explanatory wiki text. Let's face it, wikis are not data respositories - but they're a library where such info should be allowed to be posted; spreadsheets that let users make dynamics changes (e.g. xls), and data dumps that let users query findings however they want (e.g. mdb). I trust that Pdf, zip, doc, and txt are also allowed? The basic wiki loadout is kind of limited.

Thanks for your consideration of this matter,

MK

Attachments

• Civ4 Building Worksheets.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 79
I'm not able to bring up the Apolyton modiki, did it die? It seems we should just keep building civ4wiki and forget about merger for now, More Wiking people, I'll do some documentation on the SDK, copying and pasting many of the fine tutorials found here would be great as well.

Top Bottom