Civ4 Patch v1.61, SDK, PitBoss, & Low-res Movies Released!

I'm rather disappointed that the patch does not appear to have addressed some of my pet hates, and doubtless there will be other players with the same feelings. There has been some attention to the demographics screen - good ! - but I wish there had been a simple change to the Domestic Adviser display, so that the turns-to-build was always visible, and preferably the food-produced and food-eaten columns were adjacent.
So Gunships now benefit from railways: fine. But can they cross seas and lakes ?
Forest-chopping made less productive: that is sure to peeve all the advocates of chop-rushing. But can forests be planted ?
Can any use ever be made of Deserts which don't have Oil or Incense ?
Will the sixth, twelfth, eighteenth etc. Great Persons from the lists ever pop up ?
In short, doubtless a useful patch, and one which I shall download after I finish my current game (to avoid any risk of crashing it), but it could surely have been so very much better.

ah the irony all that hubbub yesterday about closing patch related threads and then blamo . . .. .. ah yes irony.

anyway:

Significant reduction in video and system memory usage
* Fixed some memory leaks
* Fixed crashes with modified SDK
* Fixed XML failures with non-default locale
* Memory related crash fixes

Five good things to say I think.

edit: ah crap all that modding i did, please let it be compatible . . . . .

Looks good. :goodjob:

They didn't say anything specific about the battle odds calculator not handling first strikes properly, however. Or mousingover "no state religion" in the religion advisor screen.

I hope the authors of my favorite mods get on the job!

Bushface said:
Can any use ever be made of Deserts which don't have Oil or Incense ?

Yes! Deserts next to a river can have a watermill as of at least 1.52, your prayers are answered. :p

Anyone else lose their background game music?

I have checked all my settings under Options/Audio and volumes are set and nothing is muted.

I do have music in the intro and while going through the game set up option screens but once a game starts the music stops. I do hear clicks for when I click the mouse to choose options so the game hasn't lost all touch with my sound card. I have rebooted, started a new game, etc but still no in game music. I didn't realize how much I liked the music.

On the positive side, the video during load up and the intro movie both are smooth for me now whereas they were jerky at times pre patch.

TomR said:
Anyone else lose their background game music?

I have checked all my settings under Options/Audio and volumes are set and nothing is muted.

I do have music in the intro and while going through the game set up option screens but once a game starts the music stops. I do hear clicks for when I click the mouse to choose options so the game hasn't lost all touch with my sound card. I have rebooted, started a new game, etc but still no in game music. I didn't realize how much I liked the music.

On the positive side, the video during load up and the intro movie both are smooth for me now whereas they were jerky at times pre patch.

You should hear music once you advance out of the Ancient Age. =| Unless you have this problem in any age.

well, sounds like a good update or something, and I did run into that tech tree showing known techs as unknown last night. it did fix itself though around the industrial age though.

and is the worker chop strategy still viable?

Has anyone had a chance to notice performance improvements with 1.61? I'm curious about "fixed some memory leaks..." Still at work though.

Overall, im very happy about this patch. :clap:

I cant wait to try the new map scripts! :king:

Vlade Divac said:
Pretty huge changes here, the chopping change alone is huge.

How's about: firepower is now average of current and max strength.

Small change but huge for me on the annoyance factor:
quicksave doesn't prompt for overwrite.

Good patch

Thank gosh!!! That was soooo annoying, lol

Gunships can use roads too aswell as Railroads. The Market and Grocer build icon in the city window has swapped with each other. Bug or are those things intended? Other than that, works great.

Require Complete Kills game option

What does this mean? Does this have to do with a conquest of a civ requiring that you not only destroy all cities, but also get rid of any units hiding around the map?

Pretty happy myself. I've hidden Civ4 from my sight (brought it to work) because my girl was getting mighty mad about me playing it every hour of every day. She works all weekend, so I was going to play, if, and only if, there was a new patch. Dreams do come true.

Gunships can use roads too aswell as Railroads. The Market and Grocer build icon in the city window has swapped with each other. Bug or are those things intended?

Well if you can carry a gunship by train I'd have thought you could find a way to carry it by lorry, so seems fair enough they can use roads if they can use rails. One thought though, how fast can they move on roads? It can't be the usual 1/3 movement point because if they have 4 moves they'll be faster on roads than rails.

The market and grocer icons were originally the wrong way round, so it's definitely intentional that they've been reversed.

Zanmato said:
Gunships can use roads too aswell as Railroads. The Market and Grocer build icon in the city window has swapped with each other. Bug or are those things intended? Other than that, works great.

I guess intended since now their colors match with their civilopedia 3d images.

Drooling while waiting for the bus ride home so I can play and, hopefully, see the differences...

cthom said:
not as slow?

I'm pretty sure he was asking was what feature was not as slow. The patch talks about memory improvements, but not performance improvements, as far as I saw. The memory fixes may yield performance improvements, but that's not guaranteed, it could make things slower.

Top Bottom