1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ4 Patch v1.61, SDK, PitBoss, & Low-res Movies Released!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by V. Soma, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Bushface

Bushface Deity

I'm rather disappointed that the patch does not appear to have addressed some of my pet hates, and doubtless there will be other players with the same feelings. There has been some attention to the demographics screen - good ! - but I wish there had been a simple change to the Domestic Adviser display, so that the turns-to-build was always visible, and preferably the food-produced and food-eaten columns were adjacent.
    So Gunships now benefit from railways: fine. But can they cross seas and lakes ?
    Forest-chopping made less productive: that is sure to peeve all the advocates of chop-rushing. But can forests be planted ?
    Can any use ever be made of Deserts which don't have Oil or Incense ?
    Will the sixth, twelfth, eighteenth etc. Great Persons from the lists ever pop up ?
    In short, doubtless a useful patch, and one which I shall download after I finish my current game (to avoid any risk of crashing it), but it could surely have been so very much better.

2. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

ah the irony all that hubbub yesterday about closing patch related threads and then blamo . . .. .. ah yes irony.

anyway:

Five good things to say I think.

edit: ah crap all that modding i did, please let it be compatible . . . . .

3. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

Looks good. :goodjob:

They didn't say anything specific about the battle odds calculator not handling first strikes properly, however. Or mousingover "no state religion" in the religion advisor screen.

I hope the authors of my favorite mods get on the job!

4. Pantastic

Pantastic King

Yes! Deserts next to a river can have a watermill as of at least 1.52, your prayers are answered. :p

5. TomR

TomR Chieftain Supporter

Anyone else lose their background game music?

I have checked all my settings under Options/Audio and volumes are set and nothing is muted.

I do have music in the intro and while going through the game set up option screens but once a game starts the music stops. I do hear clicks for when I click the mouse to choose options so the game hasn't lost all touch with my sound card. I have rebooted, started a new game, etc but still no in game music. I didn't realize how much I liked the music.

On the positive side, the video during load up and the intro movie both are smooth for me now whereas they were jerky at times pre patch.

6. Soil

Soil ねねね

You should hear music once you advance out of the Ancient Age. =| Unless you have this problem in any age.

7. fuji

fuji Chieftain

I think he means menu-music...
    Cool, new maps !!

8. smjjames

smjjames Emperor

well, sounds like a good update or something, and I did run into that tech tree showing known techs as unknown last night. it did fix itself though around the industrial age though.

and is the worker chop strategy still viable?

9. Grohan

Grohan Bug-hunter

Better balance, new maps and faster game. Patch can't get much better than this :cool:

10. MetHimPikeHoses

MetHimPikeHoses Unarmed Insurgent

Has anyone had a chance to notice performance improvements with 1.61? I'm curious about "fixed some memory leaks..." Still at work though.

11. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Overall, im very happy about this patch. :clap:

I cant wait to try the new map scripts! :king:

12. Overcast32

Overcast32 Chieftain

Thank gosh!!! That was soooo annoying, lol

13. Zanmato

Zanmato King

Gunships can use roads too aswell as Railroads. The Market and Grocer build icon in the city window has swapped with each other. Bug or are those things intended? Other than that, works great.

14. automator

automator King

What does this mean? Does this have to do with a conquest of a civ requiring that you not only destroy all cities, but also get rid of any units hiding around the map?

Pretty happy myself. I've hidden Civ4 from my sight (brought it to work) because my girl was getting mighty mad about me playing it every hour of every day. She works all weekend, so I was going to play, if, and only if, there was a new patch. Dreams do come true.

15. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Well if you can carry a gunship by train I'd have thought you could find a way to carry it by lorry, so seems fair enough they can use roads if they can use rails. One thought though, how fast can they move on roads? It can't be the usual 1/3 movement point because if they have 4 moves they'll be faster on roads than rails.

The market and grocer icons were originally the wrong way round, so it's definitely intentional that they've been reversed.

16. Reignking

Reignking Prince

What exactly is faster?

17. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I guess intended since now their colors match with their civilopedia 3d images.

18. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

not as slow?

19. MrGone

MrGone Chieftain

Drooling while waiting for the bus ride home so I can play and, hopefully, see the differences...

20. surt

surt Prince

I'm pretty sure he was asking was what feature was not as slow. The patch talks about memory improvements, but not performance improvements, as far as I saw. The memory fixes may yield performance improvements, but that's not guaranteed, it could make things slower.