1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 Ancient Unit Pack 04 : Viking

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by danrell, Jul 2, 2012.

1. danrell

danrell Chieftain

The units come from Bakuel's great civ4 units !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note :
    Please download the "Edited Animations and Effects" if you want to see the unit work correctly!

Edited Animations and Effects : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11586187&postcount=2

Tutorial : Gedemon - Add a new unit in the game

Download :
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19542

2. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Great units! I just modded in the Viking lonsword v3. One guy bangs on his shield, another throws his Dane axe up in the air and catches it. Just great stuff there. :goodjob:

3. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

These look absolutely brilliant :).

4. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

I think this would fit Denmark better than Sweden, seeing how the the traditional Viking civ is represented by them.

5. Sotof

Sotof Chieftain

Great stuff, just... Our helmets did not have horns. x)

6. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Chieftain

They look great, but the horns threw me off. Vikings never had horns on their helmets.
    Just... no...
    No horns... never.
    Ever.

7. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

How can you be sure about that? ;) It was long ago, so I doubt if the historical sources are reliable enough to eliminate such possibility...

8. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Chieftain

They have never found a single horned viking helmet through archaeological diggings :nono: the idea of the horns appeared in the 19th century's Scandinavian nationalistic ideas.
    Plus that a horned helmet would be very easy to knock off, or if fastened, to grab and hold the wearer down :p

9. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

well, celt had those... and it had the same defects.. so those defects are not "proof" that they did'nt have any.
    your first argument is better though

10. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Chieftain

Are you talking of horned celtic helmets like this one? Those were for religious purposes, if it is the "defects" you're talking about.

11. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Actually, they did. The helmet was bronze, ornamental, and only used for ceremony. (Explanation in the link below.) Vikings never wore horns in battle, obviously. For the simple reason that it was impratical, and for another very important reason. No self-respecting Viking warrior would fall back on wearing imposing horns, to make himself look fierce. This would be insulting. He would think himself a woman.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/horned_helmets.htm

12. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Chieftain

Not to be picky, but that article only proves my point, it states that they found horned ceremonial bronze age helmets, but no horned viking helmets. Even the 19th century nationalistic ideas are mentioned.

13. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Still, that's not a problem here as we have the choice to use the horned or not horned helmet version for the longswordsman.

14. Warden123

Warden123 Chieftain

Great! I'll sue these in my Runescape total conversion mod if you don't mind. :)

15. whiskeybar

whiskeybar Chieftain

HEy these Units are Awesome! Can i use this Units into my Aventuria-MOD if i give some Credits and Creatorlinks?

16. 32rd Regiment

32rd Regiment Chieftain

I need help in installing these unit mods. I am playing on CIV 5 GOTY which is 2010. I've not got the new DLCs. Will these units appear in my game if I download them? I don't know where to put them in which file. Compared to total war unit mods in terms of installing, this is hard.

17. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain

This isn't a mod. It's a modder art resource. Mods like R.E.D. Modpack utilize these units.

EDIT: Place the .civ5mod file in your C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\ folder. The game should automatically extract it when you go into the Mods menu, but because of it's size you might opt to use 7-zip to extract it manually.