Civ5 PDF manual is here!

So, can someone explain to me the diplomatic victory? Like I said earlier in the thread, it seems to me no civ is ever going to vote for anyone other than themselves, unless they have been liberated. So basically you can't win diplomatically until a big bad boy has captured everyone and you liberate them one after the other?

Answer: Each civ and City-State gets one vote, no matter their population size. Number of City-States = 2 * Number of civs, by default.

Well guys, this was a disappointing read. Not one of this year's better books so far. It isn't exactly War and Peace. :(

I miss the afterwords or comments or whatever you call them, like there were in the manuals of Civ2, Civ3 and Smac.

Well guys, this was a disappointing read. Not one of this year's better books so far. It isn't exactly War and Peace. :(

It's better than the Elemental book though. ;)

OMG I love the krepost! I was worried about Russian UB (Not getting what it supposed to represent in real life and all... Still don't get it), but it appears to be a decent UB that's very useful. :crazyeye:

From page 47 ...

"Ranged Units
Ranged units are units that can attack enemies in adjacent hexes and in hexes one or more spaces away. The distance a unit can attack is determined by its “Range” statistic. The strength of its ranged attack is determined by its “Ranged Combat” statistic. An Archer unit, for example, has a Combat Strength of 7, a Ranged Combat Strength of 8, and a Range of 2. It can attack enemy units one or two hexes away with a Strength of 7. However, if an enemy unit attacks it, it defends with its Combat Strength of 4. Note that Ranged units always employ Ranged combat when attacking another unit, even if that unit is adjacent. The Ranged unit uses its Combat Strength only when it is defending against an attack by another unit."

This isn't supposed to make sense, is it? :confused: :crazyeye:

Anyone know what is should really say?

dV

Oh, I see, so there are enough City-States to make it quite possible to win without the other civs voting for you.

Yep, that's my understanding.

But I'd guess that outbidding the AI civs for the votes of enough city-states will be hard to achieve on higher difficulties (unless you have an overwhelming lead). Each AI need only pick a couple city-states to ally with; whereas for you to get a diplomatic victory you will need the support of almost all of them.

Liberating city-states and resurrecting dead civilizations may be the key strategy to break this impasse and win a diplomatic victory.

"Culture is a measurement of your civilization’s commitment to and appreciation of the arts and humanities – everything from cave paintings and Tiki heads to “Hamlet,” or Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony to Lady Gaga’s latest video"

One of these things does not belong. I would not have Lady Gaga in the same league as Beethoven and Hamlet. In fact, I would rather look at the cave paintings.

While I agree that Lady Gaga is nowhere near the same league as Beethoven, Hamlet, tiki heads or cave paintings, she still is a cultural icon and does have a (largely clothing fashion based) artisticness to her videos (if a bit weird, but there have been many great/famous artists who were a bit off their rocker too).

Does chopping forests provide hammers to a city's build? I didn't see it in the manual. They just indicated that chopping trees was 3 turns.

Not a fan of this on page 14:

"On levels higher than Prince, the AIs receive increasing bonuses in city growth, production,
and technology. They may also get additional starting units and free techs to boot."

Id rather they just make the AI smarter as it goes up then give bonus techs and units.

It's been stated numerous times that the AI does get smarter at higher difficulty levels. A list of possible strategies is compiled and ranked from from best to worst, and the AI chooses one semi-randomly, more often taking the smart choices at higher difficulty levels. It's too bad you can't just raise the AI skill, but not the bonuses.

So, can someone explain to me the diplomatic victory? Like I said earlier in the thread, it seems to me no civ is ever going to vote for anyone other than themselves, unless they have been liberated. So basically you can't win diplomatically until a big bad boy has captured everyone and you liberate them one after the other?

Who's to say that every Civ is a candidate? In Civ 4 there were always only two candidates, and each AI-controlled candidate always voted for themself.

Not a fan of this on page 14:

"On levels higher than Prince, the AIs receive increasing bonuses in city growth, production,
and technology. They may also get additional starting units and free techs to boot."

Id rather they just make the AI smarter as it goes up then give bonus techs and units.

The thing is, computers just aren't that smart. They're fast, but not smart.

We should rejoice, we're still smarter than computers, for now. :king:

Who's to say that every Civ is a candidate? In Civ 4 there were always only two candidates, and each AI-controlled candidate always voted for themself.

We've seen this from gameplay video. Any major civ except for liberated ones vote themselves. City-states vote for their ally. Not sure what happens if city state has only friends, not allies - will abstain or vote for the best of friends.

While I agree that Lady Gaga is nowhere near the same league as Beethoven, Hamlet, tiki heads or cave paintings, she still is a cultural icon and does have a (largely clothing fashion based) artisticness to her videos (if a bit weird, but there have been many great/famous artists who were a bit off their rocker too).

In my opinion popular music in general and all popular American entertainment is about as artistic and culturally enriching and enlightening as ancient Roman gladiatorial combat if not even less so. Most of it is complete garbage lacking any sort of direction or meaning. I recall feeling particularly disgusted when somebody suggested that Lady Gaga should be a 'Great Artist' in Civilization V. The notion is both absurd and offensive to real art and real culture. Why? Her 'art' is little more than grotesque shock value trickery and sexual exploitation of both herself and most other people in her videos (in one she played a 'nun' with no covering over her legs -save for the loins- and ate rosaries...) and filthy 'modern artists' like her have no place counted among great writers, painters, musicians and thinkers of years past. It would be like having modern rap artists as great artists: is "Soulja" Boy at all comparable to Robert Frost or Constantine Cavafy? One would be a fool to say so.

Top Bottom