1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 WWII Unit Pack 15 : Others

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by danrell, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain

It looks like you're using a Mac; I'm not sure to what degree that changes anything.

Anyway, it's a process. If you're not inclined to figure out the SDK, then I suppose you can change the vanilla game files, but just realize that after any game update, you'll need to replicate the changes again. And if you enable any mod that adds units to the game, then these changes will disappear. But I suppose that's the case if you run two different unit mods...

I've never done it the "hack" way (so someone correct me if I get something wrong), but...

I think that method might have worked if you had put the new art files in Assets/Units/Carrier/ instead, but I think the preferred non-preferred way is:

1. Make a new folder tree in your installation folder under Assets/, (e.g., Assets/Units/Queen_Elizabeth_Class_Carrier/), and put the files in there (you won't need the .blend or the .jpg).
    2. Extract civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml from your fpks, and put it in your Resource/Common/ folder. Replace the line
      Code:
      <Granny>Assets/Units/Carrier/Carrier.fxsxml</Granny>
      with
      Code:
      <Granny>Assets/Units/Queen_Elizabeth_Class_Carrier/Queen_Elizabeth_Class_Carrier.fxsxml</Granny>

EDIT: I tested this, and it works, though I get the "sunk" ship problem. If your carrier is rotated 90 degrees, you'll need to download this WWII pack <http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17443>, then extract the folder [Animations and Effects]/Common/Edited_Animations/, and copy the contents into Resource/Common/Edited_Animations/.

2. Bergerperson

Bergerperson An actual Canadian

Where is the Civ5artdefines_unitmembers located? I&#8217;m on the App Store version of Civilization 5 and I just can&#8217;t find it.

Ok, so I&#8217;m positive Unitmodels.fpk is also the Mac equivalent of the Civ5artdefines_unitmembers because it has that granny file line. I copied that and changed the granny located to what you posted and put it in the Queen Elizabeth Carrier folder in Applications->Civilization V: Campaign Edition->Home->Assets->Units->Queen Elizabeth Class Carrier. I made a game that launched without a crash as what happens when I place the Unitmodels.fpk that has the different carrier granny path in the folder that has the unchanged one, but I don&#8217;t get a new units or changed unit texture with a carrier.

3. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain

FPK files are like ZIP files in that they contain several files. Normally, you use a tool that comes with the SDK to extract the FPKs into its constituent files. I assumed that the FPKs were compressed and that you had managed to extract the files by some method of which I was unaware, but it looks like FPKs are more like tarballs or something (EDIT: though they're not TAR compatible), and you are simply editing the raw file.

If this method is going to work (and I'm not sure it will), you would leave the FPK where it is (back it up first, obviously).

4. Bergerperson

Bergerperson An actual Canadian

When I leave the edited FPK file in it&#8217;s original folder, my game always quits unexpectedly.

I also have the new units&#8217; file in the Assets folder (It contains Queen_Elizabeth_Class_Carrier_gloss.dds, Queen_Elizabeth_Class_Carrier.dds, Queen_Elizabeth_Class_Carrier.fxsxml, Queen_Elizabeth_Class_Carrier.gr2, and I still have the edited UnitModels.FPK in there), I had to make a Units folder for this. I also put the Edited_Animations from the mod folder in the Resources->Common.

When I make a game with the non-eidted UnitModels.FPK and those two files from the above sentences in the folders, my game runs without crashes but with no Queen Elizabeth Class Carrier in it.

EDIT: Tried again with the files in the Queen Elizabeth folder as well as the edited UnitModels and the Edited Animations in the Common folder, still crashed.

5. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain

I'm guessing this method won't work because it won't look outside the FPK for the models. Regardless, we should take this conversation to private message at this point rather than continuing to hijack this thread.

6. dacubz145

dacubz145 Chieftain

Any chance to see this expand for just finland? they could use the units for the winter war

7. Winston

Winston Chieftain

Thanks so much for these Danrell, they're awesome

8. [WTN]Manhattan

[WTN]Manhattan Chieftain

I tried to great a little mod to replace the default jet fighter with the generic jet fighter from this unit pack. I copied all the files exept the blend and the jpg to Mod Buddy and created a xml-update (Import into VFS for all files is true, reload unit system is flagged and the xml is set in the properties). Unfortunately it didn't work.

The xml-update looks as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!-- Created by ModBuddy on 8/25/2012 4:54:37 PM -->
    <UnitMemberArtInfos>
    <UnitMemberArtInfo>
    <Update>
    <Set Granny="JetFighter_Generic.fxsxml"/>
    <Where Type="ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_JETFIGHTER"/>
    </Update>
    </UnitMemberArtInfo>
    </UnitMemberArtInfos>

When I run the mod, the default jet fighter is still used. This is the datalog:

[83400.365] constraint failed
    [83400.365] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
    [83409.226] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
    [83409.226] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [83409.226] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [83410.801] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_HITTITE_WARCHARIOT" does not exist in Units
    [83410.801] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_SUMERIAN_PHALANX" does not exist in Units
    [83410.801] Failed Validation.
    [83411.441]
    -- SQLite Memory Statistics --
    Memory Usage:
    [Cur] [Max]
    Malloc: 383864 38416696
    PageCache: 4365 4982
    LookAside: 0 0
    Scratch: 0 1

Static Buffer Overflows:
    [TooLarge] [NoSpace]
    PageCache: 0 33807040
    Scratch: 0 0

Largest Allocations:
    Malloc: 131072
    PageCache: 1160
    Scratch: 6376

Prepared Statements:
    Current: 10
    ------------------------------
    [83449.193] no such table: UnitMemberArtInfo
    [83449.193] In Query - UPDATE UnitMemberArtInfo SET "Granny" = ? WHERE "Type" = ?;
    [83449.193] Database::XMLSerializer (Game Rules1.xml): There was an error executing the update statement! See Database.log for details.
    [83449.193] In XMLSerializer while updating table UnitMemberArtInfo from file Game Rules1.xml.
    [83468.506] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
    [83468.506] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [83468.506] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [83469.879] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_HITTITE_WARCHARIOT" does not exist in Units
    [83469.879] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_SUMERIAN_PHALANX" does not exist in Units
    [83469.879] Failed Validation.
    [83470.472]
    Memory Usage:
    [Cur] [Max]
    Malloc: 502680 38416696
    PageCache: 4404 4982

Static Buffer Overflows:
    [TooLarge] [NoSpace]

Largest Allocations:
    Scratch: 6376

Prepared Statements:
    Current: 23

Any suggestions?

9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

the table you want to update is ArtDefine_UnitMemberInfos and the tag is Model, not Granny.

Don't ask me why they've changed naming.

Edit:

Code:
    <GameData>
      <ArtDefine_UnitMemberInfos>
         <Update>
          <Set Model="JetFighter_Generic.fxsxml"/>
          <Where Type="ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_JETFIGHTER"/>
        </Update>
      </ArtDefine_UnitMemberInfos>
    </GameData>

10. [WTN]Manhattan

[WTN]Manhattan Chieftain

I tried that but it still doesn't work. By the way, I'm using G&K, don't know if this makes a difference...

Here comes the new log:

[86307.943] constraint failed
    [86307.943] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
    [86342.840] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
    [86342.840] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [86342.840] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [86344.338] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_HITTITE_WARCHARIOT" does not exist in Units
    [86344.338] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_SUMERIAN_PHALANX" does not exist in Units
    [86344.338] Failed Validation.
    [86344.993]
    Memory Usage:
    [Cur] [Max]
    Malloc: 383824 38416696
    PageCache: 4368 4982

Static Buffer Overflows:
    [TooLarge] [NoSpace]

Largest Allocations:
    Scratch: 6664

Prepared Statements:
    Current: 10
    [86393.057] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
    [86393.057] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [86393.057] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [86394.430] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_HITTITE_WARCHARIOT" does not exist in Units
    [86394.430] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_SUMERIAN_PHALANX" does not exist in Units
    [86394.430] Failed Validation.
    [86395.038]
    Memory Usage:
    [Cur] [Max]
    Malloc: 502656 38416696
    PageCache: 4405 4982

Static Buffer Overflows:
    [TooLarge] [NoSpace]

Largest Allocations:
    Scratch: 6664

Prepared Statements:
    Current: 23

11. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Hey, quick question: I want to use the generic destroyer for my mod, but since it seems I need the edited animations and effects, do I just add them to my mod just like any other graphics? And specifically which files, also?

12. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain

Yup, just add the files and set VFS=true.

Check the .fxsxml file:
    Code:
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_FORTIFY_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_IDLE_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_FORTIFY_FIDGET_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_ENTER_FORTIFY.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_ATTACK_CITY_TO_RUN.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_ATTACK_TO_RUN_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_LEAVE_BOMBARD_DEFEND_TRANS_IDLE_A_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_DEATH_FINAL_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_BOMBARD_DEFEND_LOOP_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_RUNNING_LOOP.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_ENTER_BOMBARD_DEFEND_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_DEATH_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_LEAVE_COMBAT_READY.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_ENTER_COMBAT_READY_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_FORTIFY_LEAVE_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_COMBAT_READY_GRAPH.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_TRANSITIONS_FOR_IDLES.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_STOP_RUNNING.dge"/>
    	<AnimGraph file="EDITED_AIM_MS_START_RUNNING.dge"/>