Civ6 for iPad

Playing Civ on a 2018 ipad pro 12.9.

That pretty much cements my decision to upgrade. I love the 12.9 and can't bring myself to downsize. Gee thanks dude. Anyone want to buy a lightly used first gen iPad Pro?

I just noticed a new update that says it's optimized for new iPads and iPhones. But user reviews still complain that it doesn't handle the screen res correctly (presumably due to the rounded corners, apparently this is a worse mess on the 11".) Do you see any black bars or borders?

That pretty much cements my decision to upgrade. I love the 12.9 and can't bring myself to downsize. Gee thanks dude. Anyone want to buy a lightly used first gen iPad Pro?

I just noticed a new update that says it's optimized for new iPads and iPhones. But user reviews still complain that it doesn't handle the screen res correctly (presumably due to the rounded corners, apparently this is a worse mess on the 11".) Do you see any black bars or borders?
The corners of the playing field curve as well; it looks to fit the entire screen. Disclaimer - I use reading glasses, but the experience of playing Civ 6 on the iPad is, for me, visually equivalent to playing on a laptop/monitor. I was worried about slowdown, but nope.

Tom

Hi All

I found myself recently in a situation where periodically I have no access to my PC, only iPad. So, I started playing Civ6 on iPad. I must say that I miss many mods.
From the posts above and in other forums, I understand the situation is as follows.
1. We can use mods, practically in the same way as on PC - they need to be loaded into Mods subfolder.
2. iPad itself doesn't have any tools that allow to access the Mods subfolder. Fortunately there are some external apps (for PC or Mac) that can do that, e.g. iExplorer.
3. Bad news is that due to differences between systems, graphics, etc. only very mods actually work.
- database-related mods DO work, e.g. Real Tech Tree, Gold Resource - I suppose that means that underlying DB engine is the same, so all SQLs, etc. should work.
- UI mods don't work; I have tried myself several and none works. There are 2 different ways however a) the standard window appear with no changes whatsoever b) the new window is loaded but totally screwed. I would guess that for a) it means that the file names have changed and the new window is not recognized at all - the game loads a standard one. For b) it means that the base file is different from PC version and the modded version can't work properly.
- Arts, mostly 3D models, etc. - i see various reports here. Seems not working, however some people say they rarely do.

Ok, now to the main question.
Is it possible (how?) to get / extract the base game files from iPad? I am pure PC guy, so I have no idea. BUT if there was a way to extract those files it would be possible to make those UI mods working.

Now that R&F is out, how are people fairing with mods? I am considering buying the iOS version, but once Gathering Storm comes out later this year and if at least some of my favorite mods work. @Infixo, I would appreciate if you also shared how was your experience and which of your own mods work?

Also, if people can share which mods are working now?

Better loading screen,real building upgrades, steel and thunder unit expansion, terra mirablis and wondrous wonders are all working for me

Better loading screen,real building upgrades, steel and thunder unit expansion, terra mirablis and wondrous wonders are all working for me
How did u get steel and thunder unit expansion working , I tried today but it kept freezing and crashing whenever I build the Cog unit although oall the icons were right and were showing in the civilopedia and tech tree

Actually hadn’t got that far. These were the mods that the game would actually load up with. I’ll let you know about the cog

Actually hadn’t got that far. These were the mods that the game would actually load up with. I’ll let you know about the cog
Yes the game loads steel and thunder without any problems and all looks good and fine till u try to build the Cog unit then the game simply freezes
Sure looking forward for ur update
The only Mod that is working on my side is Combat and Stacking Overhaul

I’ve gone about ten turns with my 2 cogs and it’s still working.
That’s great news
There must be something am doing wrong in editing the files
From what I understood
First I need to make a copy of the MacOS folder and rename it to iOS then edit the Modinfo file and add the iOS entries right ?
Am I missing anything here or doing anything wrong ?

That’s all you need to do, if you can build /see some units you’re done your mod modding right. I had previously problems with some of Steel and thunder’s units, namely with trebuchet and gatling gun that both had distorted graphics. I’d appreciate info if you now can play with them too!

That’s all you need to do, if you can build /see some units you’re done your mod modding right. I had previously problems with some of Steel and thunder’s units, namely with trebuchet and gatling gun that both had distorted graphics. I’d appreciate info if you now can play with them too!
Sure would share info the moment I get the mod working Cos till now all the steel and thunder expansion units are freezing and crashing the game .

Sure would share info the moment I get the mod working Cos till now all the steel and thunder expansion units are freezing and crashing the game .

The game works fine, however, some of the graphics are either blank or share the same as another unit. Ex. I ended up losing a unit to a cuirissier because it had the same graphic as a settler. But it does work

Till now none of the units are working from my side
Also I think that the graphics problems ur having from ur side could be related to iOS graphics format that might be different a little from the MacOS format

Yes that’s what I did but still no success
Example
Mods /steel and Thunder 1.87

I haven’t bought R&F yet, but have updated game to the latest version. I tried Steel and Thunder mod, and game freezes when i build s/t units. I was able to build trebuchet before updating game, it sometimes was shown with funny graphics, but didn’t crash the game which it now does. So I’d say they changed something graphics wise with this version that broke mods that add graphics. Sad...

Don’t suppose you mind sharing what iPad you’re using, and which version of the mods you have?

Better loading screen doesn’t work on my iPad Pro 11 (iPadOS beta 4). It appears in the DLC menu, but when enabled it doesn’t display any additional unit information in the loading screen.

Ages of Pace and Ages of War also do not work and are marked as incompatible in the DLC menu.

Also, not sure if Terra Mirabilis is working either, as it’s supposed to add more wonders but...I don’t feel like there’s more wonders to be found in a new game I started. Might just be me though.

Last edited:
I’ve got the most recent 9.7. Better loading screen didn’t work but it didn’t crash it either.

iPad Air 2, trying for the second time to play on this device but same result: game freezes with the music playing on turn 2. This device is a few years old I know, but it is listed as a supported device. 64 GB version with only 24 GB used. Any tips or am I just out of luck unless I buy a newer model?

iPad Air 2, trying for the second time to play on this device but same result: game freezes with the music playing on turn 2. This device is a few years old I know, but it is listed as a supported device. 64 GB version with only 24 GB used. Any tips or am I just out of luck unless I buy a newer model?

The only solution is to complain to Aspyr. Or just complain directly to Apple as "Even though an app that meets device requirements, it doesn't work"

Last edited:
Top Bottom