CivAssist II

CivAssist II 30-Oct-2016

yeah, that was turned off almost immediately for me. so no luck there either. but thanks for another good suggestion!

My intention is to buy Vista Business w/ XP downgrade rights. The amazing thing about this is that you pay an extra $90 just so you can use MS's old O/S. What an innovation...

It's just not worth it for me to get a plain vanilla Vista machine when so many have had trouble getting CAII to work. I've tried it on one such machine already, which is luckily a base model for my kids to surf the net. For the sake of an extra $90, I'll happily get the XP option (which can be converted to Vista "whenever you're ready..." - i.e. never).

one thing i probably should have noted is that i have the 64 bit version of vista ultimate.

i am sure the various editions of vista probably make things a lot more dicey in terms of people with certain editions getting things to work...

I bought a new Toshiba laptop and I'm having a similar problem with getting CivAssist II to load. First of all a great thanks to all who contributed to the making of Civ Assist II. I can no longer play C3C without its assistance. However after several futile attempts at downloading the net stuff I've surrendered and dug up my old XP machine to play just so I can have my Civ Assistant constantly at my side.

After about 10 hours of downloads and reboots, all those service packs and down loaders and net stuff gobbledygook (severe computer literacy challenged here) I have Civ Assist II running and I reloaded my game.

My Vista Toshiba laptop will have to run the old version of Civassist:crazyeye:

I have .Net 3.5 as I am doing a programming course at college. When I try to install it, I get a message telling me to download 1.1.
Is there a way to make it install without having .net 1.1?

Is there a way to make it install without having .net 1.1?

Tom,
I'm not a programmer, but I think the different .net (1. 2. 3.) are not different versions but different programs (or whatever they are).

I'm sure that with .net 2 CAII don't work (search this thread for more details).

So the answer is not, you need to install .net 1.1. Follow the link at Post 1.

Good luck!

I've downloaded .net 1.1, and installed Civ Assist now, but every time I try and run it, I get this message

EDIT: Wait a second, I tried running it as administrater, and it is now working

ANOTHER EDIT: That seemed to sort it, ie I was able to open the program without Civ 3 running. But then I tried loading a save, and it couldnt find the Save file. I have Vista, so whenever I want to open the save folder, I need to click 'Compatibilitiy Files', which isnt an option when using Civ Assist.
I copied a save file into another location, and I was able to open it and see stuff about it.
However, there is another problem. I have seen screenshots of people having a mini civ assist 2 window running at the top of the game window. How do I get that? When I opened the game, nothing appeared, and there was no icon to open Civ Assist. If it helps, I have Civ 3 Complete.

HOPEFULLY THE LAST EDIT!!!: I have sorted it out now. The problem with not being able to find the save files was because Vist put the folder, for some unknown reason, deep in 'App Data' To sort it out, I copied the folder, and all other Civ 3 files, from that folder, and into the Conquests folder. Now I dont need to click 'Compatibility Files.' That solved the problem, and it now works perfectly

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 182
However, there is another problem. I have seen screenshots of people having a mini civ assist 2 window running at the top of the game window. How do I get that? When I opened the game, nothing appeared, and there was no icon to open Civ Assist. If it helps, I have Civ 3 Complete.

The small window is the alerts window. The main window of CA 2 has a button "Show alerts" I think. However, I encountered the same problems as you did making CA 2 work under Vista, solved them roughly the same, but this problem persisted, I cannot get the alerts window to work. That's a real bummer. Anyone has a solution for this?

When you are in the game, click the Civ Assist icon, it should bring up the Civ Assist window. Above the 'Options/About' button, there should be a button saying 'Show Alerts'. Click this, and the alerts window will appear. The button is only available whilst you have Civ 3 running.

Thx, but I got to the point where the alerts window pops up, but the window was empty, that is it did not show any alerts. Right now for some reason or other CA 2 does not start up at all anymore.

Ah, if you want alerts to show up, you need to go to the 'Alerts' tab, and turn whichever alerts you want on.

As for why it didnt start, did you download a .Net 1.1 patch? If so, uninstall it, as for some reason it stops it working.

Apologies if this has already been posted.
I found the following web page to provide clear and helpful directions for getting .net 1.1 installed on the Vista-64 operating system:

Install for Vista

It is a little involved, but I was able to install .net 1.1 without problems. And CivAssist2 is now running fine on my system.

great post snake. unfortunately, i still am unable to use CA2... at this point its not a big deal as i just play civ on my laptop, but i would love to be able to eventually move to vista and not lose this program.

no idea what my issue is. silly vista!

Thank you Grognard!!!!

:)

Here is my properties from the CA2 shortcut that I use in Vista (see attached CA2 properties screen print). Also, note that there is an update to .NET (see attached screen print of my programs and features window) - I got it via the Windows Update feature of Vista. Occassionally, CA2 goes crazy on me on me during a game. I simply quit CA2 and restart it. The key is compatibility mode with XP, service pack 2, and running with admin privs. I've been running Vista for over a year with only minor problems running Civ3, CivAssist2, etc.

i would like to say that i finally put vista on my laptop... and CA2 totally works!

i did everything the same way. it was even the same vista version.

i think my problem on my desktop might have to do with my outdated video card and its drivers. it has been kinda weird all around with vista, so thats why i wanted to try it out on my laptop to see what kind of issues i have.

now i just gotta wait for an extra gig of ram to arrive so this thing quits runnin so slow!

Top Bottom