1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Modding Dead.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Afforess, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Voyhkah

Voyhkah Political Activist

All of you are still welcome on the Civ4 C&C forums! Civ4 Modding is still GOING STRONG!

2. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

The game data being SQL is pretty powerful, really, allowing relative changes for example. The fact that most guides and so on (not all of which come from Firaxis by any means) use the XML format confuses the issue, but I guess they think the SQL format will confuse people. You can do stuff more clearly and concisely with SQL than the XML format.

3. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Nice work on ignoring the OP. SQL is not the problem. AI is not the problem (well, other than the fact that modders can not alter it).

4. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

I appologize for offending you, I was simply addressing the other nine pages worth of discussion including your own remarks about difficulty modding the AI for a specifc mod.

Since you're obviously the expert on all things related to Civ 5 I'll leave you to your misery in peace.

5. GambleFish

GambleFish Chieftain

Shazzam! Well said. I think civ 5 modding is dead, but it doesn't mean I will complain and rage if someone doesn't post a word-for-word agreement to the OP.

6. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

I agree with every point in the OP. However, the specific phrasing Civilization 5 Modding Dead is a little gloomy.

Another interpretation, consistent with all of the facts in the OP, is that Civ5 needs a little more time to cook. It was a much more ambitious step from IV to V than any previous. If you have time or interest to play after the last two patches, you might find that it is growing into a really fabulous game (or not, I can't say for you). There is plenty of evidence that there was at least an intention that Civ5 be awesomely moddable. Clearly it wasn't and still isn't after almost a year (so no point in the "Civ4 took this long" argument... it didn't). But in any case, I hope you are still around (or come back) when/if Civ5 modding ever does shape up to be a reasonable endeavor.

7. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Civ5 Modding isn't dead, it's on life support waiting for the good doctor to ubercharge it or for someone to place a merciful bullet into its temple.

8. Lance of Llanwy

Lance of Llanwy King

I think it'll be very much alive once they release the DLL they're going to be beta-testing soon.

9. Sonereal

I think it's reasonable to say the DLL will be out before the one year mark at least.

10. basmannen

basmannen Warlord

11. Sonereal

I would be a 100% surprised if they somehow screw that up.

12. basmannen

basmannen Warlord

No, it wouldn't exactly be the first time...

13. bitula

bitula Prince

Hey! I didnt read through the whole thread, but are you people saying that after 10 months since release the c++ source code of the core dll is still not available????

14. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

they had to fix the core game first.

15. bitula

bitula Prince

You mean "have to"? Well but this may last forever... They could rather publish the source and then each change for each patch. Isnt that how it went with Civ4? Any mod could then just merge the changes. I think there should be a different reason for not releasing it, for example the DLC business...?

16. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

Yep. Civ 4's core game was far more stable at release than Civ 5's was, and it still took them what, 8 months to get the DLL? Given how significantly Civ 5's game balance has changed in the December, March, and June patches, I'm not surprised they've held off on the DLL. In the meantime, there are still a lot of things we can do for the game in mods, just through Lua.

17. Gedemon

there's no need to buy the DLC to use the new events related to them in mods, so I really think that's not the case.

And except the multiplayer part, the game is fixed IMO, the devs have posted here about the DLL SDK being in test for release soon (or was about to be tested, understand *soon* as in all game development, aka a few days to some months later)

Civ5 was released at least 6 months early (or there weren't enough people involved in the project in the last phase of development, whatever, the fact is that it wasn't finished when it was released, but at least they keep working on it)

18. bitula

bitula Prince

No, by DLC buisness I just meant, that untill DLC-s are well selling they dont want to give away the source, since that would enable creating DLC-like modules for free. But ofcourse thats just speculation from my side, its based on that the source can be released at any time, since they have it from start, and 10 months is a bit too much. But well ok, maybe it is not... Sort of dissapointing, that practically nothing happens with this game since 10 months. Or one year? I wonder when to check back? Next year, or 2013?

19. Gedemon

Except for the 3D leaderheads, we can do DLC-like modules for free. And the DLL sdk release won't allow us to make 3D leaderheads. That's another part of the modding tools (not fixed yet btw, but nothing to do with the DLL)

20. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Civ V modding is certainly on life support. My biggest concern right now is that there has been such a massive exodus of those willing to try with Civ V (lemmy, Dale, alpaca, Afforess, etc) that by the time we finally get the tools we need, the community will be too comatose to save the day. As with most other communities, generally speaking people become involved if they see cool things going on. Those initial example mods with full DLL won't be what they had the potential to once be, and that could be catastrophic to the long term prospects of the game.