civilization game toolkit (in java)

jeyries

Chieftain
civ_java : civilization game toolkit.
Copyright (C) 2003-2005 julien eyries (julien dot eyries at 9online dot fr)
License : see GPL.TXT

Hello !

I am proud to offer you the source code of my project :
the Civilization Game Toolkit .

The documentation is located in the /doc directory.

if you use it to produce some program, or if you improve it,
i would be really happy to have some feedback.

have fun,

Julien Eyries

Home Page : http://julien.eyries.9online.fr/civ_java/

Download link :
démo (500 KB)
-> see attachment

source code (1.5 MB)
civ_java_sources_20050408.zip
mirror on civfanatics.net :
civ_java_sources_20050408.zip

additional notes :
the library and demo is written in pure Java (compatible with java 1.5) .
a windows dll is used to locate the civ3 install path .

Download Java software from Sun Microsystems

Attachments

• civ_java_demo_20050408.zip
    418.6 KB · Views: 373
Very interesting looking, but I shudder to see that there is some JNI included which seems to be aimed at registry manipulation. It's probably harmless, I hope, but it triggers my "make a system backup first" reaction.

ainwood > thank for your interest . my goal was to recreate an exact clone of
civ 3 in java . the demo is the result of my work as of now .

DaveShack > yes, I use the windows registry but read-only . no key is added or removed. that's one of the benefit of open-source, if you don't believe me, look into the source, it's in class Civ_Config.java.
for those used to windows programming :

the windows dll is used to locate the civ3 install path :

civ3_install_path = Registry.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
.openSubKey("SOFTWARE\\Infogrames Interactive\\Civilization III")
.getStringValue("Install_Path");

220 viewers and ... only 2 replies.

no comments ? no idea about this ? no critics, no interest ?
has someone sucessfully tried the demo ?

come on, let's talk, it's a forum, I wont bite you !

jeyries said:
ainwood > thank for your interest . my goal was to recreate an exact clone of
civ 3 in java . the demo is the result of my work as of now .

I saw this from reading the code, thought I was just reading too much into it. I don't know how reverse engineering Civ would sit with Firaxis. Are you planning to go into AI programming too, or is this mainly meant to be a viewer which can open and display a save using an interface similar to the real civ interface?

DaveShack said:
I saw this from reading the code, thought I was just reading too much into it. I don't know how reverse engineering Civ would sit with Firaxis.

Well, all the information I have used as of now to write this has been found on public forums like civfanatics or apolyton. (no disassembly of civ exe).
I understand this kind of project is on the borderline of legality, mostly because it reuse the graphics and animation in civ3 directory . on the other hand, if you have paid for a civ 3 CD, I see no reason why you couldn't use the data for an other goal. it's just some kind of modding ;)

DaveShack said:
Are you planning to go into AI programming too, or is this mainly meant to be a viewer which can open and display a save using an interface similar to the real civ interface?

I hope to go far beyond a simple civ scenario viewer, which is the state of the demo today . (some plus : you can go into city screen, domestic advisor,
move and action unit )

Complete Civ clone with AI programming can be achieved but
will be difficult .
A reasonable goal would be the possibility of adding new rules/improvement that are impossible to add to the original civ3 program via classic modding.

One of my dreams is to be able to play civ tournament (turn by turn) on a web site (even during my day job :crazyeye: ).

jeyries, this looks great. :goodjob: Have you been working on it for 2 years?

I may be able to help you. I am especially interested in adding AI and multiplayer support.

Some random observations:

The demo would be easier to use if it had a mini-map.

Is it enough to read .sav files, or do you want to write files that Civ3 can load?

I think a client-server model would be very useful in the future. Do all the game rules and turn calculations on the server, and use the viewer to send and recieve moves. If done correctly, it would be possible to write other viewers or AIs that can communicate with the server.

DaveMcW said:
jeyries, this looks great. :goodjob: Have you been working on it for 2 years?

I may be able to help you. I am especially interested in adding AI and multiplayer support.

yes, some part are quite old like the BIC/BIQ/BIX/ FLC/PCX loaders ,
I restarted it recently to add the user interface.

It's nice to see enthousiastic people about this ! the AI and multiplayer are the most lacking parts, surely we can cooperate on this . don't hesitate to contact me by email .

DaveMcW said:
Some random observations:

The demo would be easier to use if it had a mini-map.

Is it enough to read .sav files, or do you want to write files that Civ3 can load?

I think a client-server model would be very useful in the future. Do all the game rules and turn calculations on the server, and use the viewer to send and recieve moves. If done correctly, it would be possible to write other viewers or AIs that can communicate with the server.

a mini-map was started but I had no time to finish it (the transformation is quite complex )

Full compatibility with Civ3 is not a goal ; for the moment I import BIC/BIQ/BIX file read-only .

I have quite the same view on the multiplayer design.

Bye

Top Bottom