Civilization III: Worldwide

Thanks. It's hard to believe that was a year ago already. It was right in the middle of the gfx card drought and it was far and away the most expensive thing on the table. My first build from scratch...not bad for a guy who thinks C++ is a grade you get when your test score is 79.99.

Oh man, one of my units (maybe a Hellas infantry though?) scared the horsehocky out of me last night at 2am. I'm playing as Mesoamerica and something randomly shouted out "THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!". Was this your doing, because it was pretty funny. If it was my unit then it would have been an infantry, tank, or artillery piece. If not, then it could have been a Hellas infantry as that was the only other thing visible on my screen at the time.

Just realized I made this account in 2014. I think this was the first mod I downloaded after my ~8 year absence from Civ 3 prior to that date. Now I've been playing WW for nearly 10 years off and on. Looking forward to your rework/update!

Last edited:
Ha! Those are Wyrmshadow's infantry units. He made them all say crazy things. It was the Greek infantry you heard. The line is from 300, as you probably know. What I remember was many years ago playing as Italy. When you upgrade your guys all at once, the following turn they all fortify at the same time. Then it was like Italian attack of the clones because they all starting chanting, "Si signore, Si Signore, SI SIGNORE" in the loudest cacophony imaginable. Your Mesoamerican infantry has a Mexican hat dance song in the unit folder (Art/Units/Mexican Infantry) but as I recall it's not in the INI file so you won't hear it in game.

Glad you've enjoyed the game. I've been bouncing back and forth between this and the other game. It might be worth making a new development thread for the new version? I kinda wanted to hold off until there was more to showcase, but maybe worth it to see what feedback there is for new mechanics.

Ha! Those are Wyrmshadow's infantry units. He made them all say crazy things. It was the Greek infantry you heard. The line is from 300, as you probably know. What I remember was many years ago playing as Italy. When you upgrade your guys all at once, the following turn they all fortify at the same time. Then it was like Italian attack of the clones because they all starting chanting, "Si signore, Si Signore, SI SIGNORE" in the loudest cacophony imaginable. Your Mesoamerican infantry has a Mexican hat dance song in the unit folder (Art/Units/Mexican Infantry) but as I recall it's not in the INI file so you won't hear it in game.

Glad you've enjoyed the game. I've been bouncing back and forth between this and the other game. It might be worth making a new development thread for the new version? I kinda wanted to hold off until there was more to showcase, but maybe worth it to see what feedback there is for new mechanics.

LOL I can't be sure, but it sounds like the American heavy machine gun units are saying "Com'on a**hole, com'on a**hole". :lol:

1666451215810.png

PediaIcons.txt said:
#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_el_escorial
Heh, seems like a random article was forgotten here, all the other entries for Escorial don't have one. You can hopefully fix it yourself by opening the PediaIcons.txt in the address shown in the error message, and using the search function in Notepad to find the entry quoted above and removing the "el" and one underscore next to it.

Hi there, i just wanted to say that the download link is dead, nothing happens when i click on CONTINUE

Yeah, seems like Mediafire has changed how the downloads work, I can't get anything to download either

Thanks, fellas. There's a new download linked on the first page. The game is at a halfway house on Mega until I can get something more permanent. The Spanish wonder is fixed as well.

Low key working on this again. It's a lot different than the old version, or even the stuff I was working on like five years ago.

Thanks, fellas. There's a new download linked on the first page. The game is at a halfway house on Mega until I can get something more permanent. The Spanish wonder is fixed as well.

Low key working on this again. It's a lot different than the old version, or even the stuff I was working on like five years ago.
MEGA is good, thanks.

Work is now ongoing on an updated version of this mod. I still need to create a comprehensive list of tasks like I did with the other scenario, after which there should be a better idea of the release timeframe. Christmas 2024 is possible, or more realistically, Spring 2025. At the least I will beat out the Elder Scrolls release schedule.

The updated version that I was working on around 2015 or so was a much improved version of the original mod, but still too incomplete to be released as it was. It was like a python that got halfway through the pig before realizing it was too much to devour but too deep in to let go. After a break from civ for real world priorities, I started in on other games and research to recharge the batteries. Upon coming back to Civ 3, my goal was to improve my play and understanding of the game.

The main goal of the upcoming version is to be a more balanced, strategic game that is accessible to players at different difficulty levels. Much more important than flashy graphics and bombastic Hollywood sound (of which there will be a nauseating amount) the focus of the new Worldwide will be decision-making and gameplay. The plan is that the final game is challenging, fun, and re-playable with meaningful choices of not only what to do but when to do it. The foundation of this system will be the revised tech tree and government system. As stated earlier in the thread, a lot of fluff is getting cut out. Neat ideas and historical accuracy are taking a back seat to functionality. This gets back to my reasons for returning to Civ 3 in 2009 after shoveling the Civ 4 compost pile for several years. I intend to treat the game like an editor treats a movie or book, with no shortage of tough love.

The game is going to be Flintlock-dependent. My hope is that Flintlock will be able to fulfill my request regarding buildings providing bonuses (likely through resources), as this is going to be a major part of the setup if available. After lots and lots of reworks, the ancient era is really looking good and now moving on to medieval. This is the Ancient Era, with graphics and such still to be done.

Spoiler :

era 1 working.png

Each civ starts with four techs: civ-specific, religion-specific, and two trait-specific techs (more on this later...one of my favorite parts of the new game!). Unlike regular Civ 3, there are no free early techs. I also may be adopting Theov's method of making the first row untradeable, as it's something I've considered for a while. The columns will be named for each age into sub-eras, in this case Bronze Age, Iron Age, Classical Era, and Late Antiquity. As you can see, there are no empty nothing-techs like Alphabet, and each one serves a purpose. Like later games in the series, these early techs unlock strategic resources, which will help you plan your expansion. Food, shields , and commerce on the map are more scarce, which means that building up your cities needs to be balanced with your expansion phase.

Following on from old Worldwide, the first era starts you as a Chiefdom with Kingship following shortly after (requires Organized Religion and Social Stratification). Like a throttle, it's not so much a choice of which government to choose as it is a choice when to choose to change. The revolutionary period is now called Interregnum, with rampant corruption instead of catastrophic. It will be easier to expand and build settlers as a Chiefdom, while it is better to improve your cities as a Kingdom. Rather than make lots of niche governments of questionable value, the game will often narrow down to two choices, which is better for the AI and will hopefully be more strategic for the player. At the end of the Ancient Era the Late Antiquity techs Imperialism and Aristocracy will usher in two new governments, Empire and Feudal Kingdom, and propel you into the Age of Discovery and the High Medieval Era. The religious techs also now start in Late Antiquity, setting the stage for conflict in the second Era.

Wonders come a little further on, but they require three small buildings as prerequisites, and their effects are permanent. They also have monster defensive bonuses which will prove a nasty surprise for those of you who like to snipe AI-built wonders. Improvements will be modestly priced early on but they will be valuable. The system is being designed so that merely blitzing the map with settlers could be a costly and ill-advised strategy. Coastal cities take much longer to develop, so forget about simply plopping settlers by the sea and instantly raking in lots of commerce. Improvements and wonders will be a critical part of the new system of natural resources and manufactured goods. More on this later.

Units have been painstakingly adjusted based on countless hours balancing world war 3. This is a topic worth its own post, but the cost and values of units have been balanced using the combat calculator and placement in the tech tree carefully considered. Regular Civ 3 has a nice balance of strategic options with early Horseman, Archer, or Swordsman rushes, and so the goal here is to maintain a good balance throughout the eras. The Palace is a small wonder that puts a barracks in every city, with pre-gunpowder units at 2 hit points on regular, and upgrades are affordable. Infantry armies will dominate the Ancient era, until the dawn of the Medieval Age brings cavalry to the forefront, before infantry re-asserts itself in the Renaissance. You're going to have to either maintain a balanced force or commit to one type of strategy to compete, and falling behind on tech will have dire consequences.

Only a few luxuries will be available from the start, with the rest coming through the tech tree or through City Specialization, which is the replacement for the Attribute system. Citizens will get some slight adjustment to accommodate this and our lamebrain AI friends as well. Some nations will be able to corner the market with civ-specific buildings. More to come on the plantation system when we cover Era 2 in a future post.

All in all, the Ancient Era is a period of rapid growth where you have to balance expansion with development, all the while playing the tech trading game and exploring as much as possible. Not fundamentally different from the base game, except there's no republic to slingshot to, unless you're Italia and love corruption. The number of techs is down from old worldwide, and so the game is to establish your base in preparation for the big wars of the second era. Much more to follow.

Love this mod, the having to carry luxuries is my only big issue as of yet. But Just wanted to let you know that the Low Countries can't upgrade a trebuchet or make dutch cannons.

Last edited:
Before we get carried away with the era 2 tech tree, let's get into what's up with the mechanics in a post-Flintlock world. CXE has enabled some things I've long desired, but it takes a little discipline to put gameplay first and not go overboard with adding resources and mechanics. The early game is going to revolve around the classic civ dilemma of expansion vs development, and the choice between settlers and workers, unit, buildings, and wonders. Citizen food cost is three. Grassland gives two food plus one with irrigation, while plains gives one food and two more with irrigation, with no shields. Hills and forest both give 1 food and 1 shield. Irrigation is available from the sea right at the beginning, and is still limited to plains and grassland. The mine graphic is replaced by the town graphic (maybe called municipality so the M command makes sense), and can be built on plains, grass, hills, and forest. Coast and sea also have reduced food yields, so you can't just indefinitely grow by exploiting coastal towns. Mountains, jungle, and swamps cannot be improved, but can host bonus resources.

The process is designed to slow the rate of growth, lower shield thresholds, and increase the importance of resources and improvements. Slower growth combined with higher costs for settlers and workers means you are going to have to balance growth with expansion. The relative cost of units and buildings are lower at the start, making them attractive alternatives. Grain and livestock are crucial early strategic resources. They allow the construction of granaries and slaughterhouses, respectively, which generate foodstuffs and produce. These provide food, and will be a necessary staple to get those additional food items to expand city population. "Food" as it is in normal Civ 3, is called Growth, with appropriate graphics changes. This is because improvements like aqueducts and hospitals also provide Growth, as this becomes something of a combination between classic civ Food and Civ 4 Health. Fish might also be added to this also. Each of these improvements will have other benefits, and perhaps light perfume, to ensure the AI greatly values them also. Securing your food supply will be essential to increasing city size!

Similarly, shields will now also be produced by improvements. I wanted to get away from the old Civ model where production comes from miners groaning as they haul rocks out of the earth. Production comes from towns and cities, and so it shall be in Worldwide. The clown is renamed as the Craftsman, and now produces 2 happy faces and 1 shield, as these craftsman produce the necessities of city life such as furniture, clothing, and daily essentials. This will also assist dingbat with his luxury slider issues. The merchant and scholar also get additional bonuses. I haven't decided on the civil servant and engineer yet, since the AI can't use them, and that's a problem to tackle when I hit era 3. The shield percentage bonus will be generated by buildings that assist productivity, such as watermills (require river), windmills (no river like an aqueduct), sawmills (requires timber), and foundries (generates cannon and allows building of cannon units). These go obsolete later in the industrial age, as factories, power plants, and steel mills take your production way up so you can afford the staggering costs of industrialization. By reducing shields and costs in the first era, we set the stage for a longer gradient to the late game. Tanks, aircraft, and artillery will require heavy industry buildings, costing hundreds of shields, while the units themselves will be hundreds more. When we get into units, we'll look at how tech advantages are real, but the cost for high tech military hardware (which now include serious gold-per-turn sustainment thanks to Flintlock) will be a major economic investment.

Improvements that add the tax, luxury, and science bonuses will look familiar, although there will be some tweaking here. This isn't fully worked out yet, but the marketplace for example increases tax because more goods are being sold and taxed. Later in medieval times, the Town Hall gives the tax percentage bonus, as this is the bureaucracy expanding to be more efficient in the collection of taxes. And so on. All of these effects will be detailed in the civilopedia.
City specialization replaces the old attribute system, although there are similarities. Each specialization adds a +25%, +50%, or +75% shield bonus in increments, in order to help allow our little ai buddy since the computer is programmed to treat these as power plants. There will be basic specializations like the Guild (tax) or monastery (science) available anywhere, and then further specializations based on resources in the city radius, religious or cultural groups, or civ-specific. The Silk Farm, for example, is available to East Asian civs and generates a silk luxury for each one built, although they are pricey. Similar specializations will allow access to luxuries early or even not available to other civs. In era 2, the plantation system becomes available. There is a colonial resource (currently tropics, that may change) that only spawns in jungle. But roads can't be built on jungle, and workers and settlers can't cross. So, with the Mercantilism tech you can build the Foreign Ministry small wonder in your capital, which adds tropics to your trade net. Then with the Colonization tech, you can make a plantation specialization in any city with tropics in the city radius. This can then be upgraded to tobacco, tea, coffee, or sugar plantations, and later cotton and rubber. Keep them for yourself, or make extras to trade with your friends. Playtesting has shown that this is working pretty well without too many luxuries in the market. In era 3, electronics and automotives are luxury resources produced by buildings which are also required for complex modern units.

I've been playing civ for 30-odd years and I've always been a builder first. I find the war and conquest tiresome; much better to grow and cultivate a city and try to maximize the bonuses and potential. With CXE this is finally a reality, and I hope that players who try the game will enjoy these aspects as well. Or, if you prefer to blow everybody to hell, we'll talk about how you can do that when we discuss units.

Love this mod, the having to carry luxuries is my only big issue as of yet. But Just wanted to let you know that the Low Countries can't upgrade a trebuchet or make dutch cannons.

Thanks, Ba'al, I'm glad it's working out OK. I agree 100% on the luxury boxes and they have gone away in the new version under development. As for the upgrade errors, best bet is to sell them off and rebuild, since the old version isn't being worked on anymore.

Top Bottom