1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Request Thread

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by TheTacticalApe, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle King of the Whale Sharks

Like Urdnot said, there's too many effects :crazyeye: Plus there's so much gold bonuses that stack together that it's kinda ridiculous how much gold would be made by this civ. Then there's also the fact that automatic construction of gold buildings is already done by JFD's Lincoln.

Claiming all workable plains, buffalo, and horse tiles immediately from settling is way too much, theoretically you could claim every single tile in the workable radius in your cities.

tbh, it's strange you'd make them ineffective outside of war when you'd give them a buff against barbarians. You might as well just leave them with the generic great general buff of +15% combat strength overall to nearby units. The 1 extra movement and bonuses from pillaging are ok though.

You'll need to rename the unit otherwise it'll be "Comanche Comanche Raider" in-game :lol: The 6 movement overall, again, is a bit much especially considering the Keshik, the fastest and most powerful mounted unit in the game, has a base movement of 5. The ability with being stationed on horses isn't that practical, horses are already fairly common unless you have terrible luck and you already get double quantity of horses with the proposed UA anyways.

Using plains as roads is overpowered, that's way too much mobility right from the beginning of the game, especially combined with the +1 movement melee units and civilian units get during wars. A settler could theoretically travel 6 tiles, and I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure it'd be annoying to have a city spot sniped repeatedly by the AI, especially on higher difficulties like deity, because their settlers can travel so far in such little time.

This seems too similar to the Sami's unique scout and its herding ability. The AI would also have trouble settling cities because they'll be confused as to how to settle a city with a unit that has combat strength.

Again, you'll need to change the name or it'd appear as "Shoshone Shoshone encampment" in-game :lol:. This UI, however seems interesting, but the extra culture from adjacent terrain isn't necessary, the culture bonus from adjacent mountains would be enough. I'm not 100% familiar with the Shoshone, so I'm not sure about their link to the mountains, so I can't comment on that.

2. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Lincoln does something slightly different...
    and... I cant answer to all right now, I'm at school, but thanks for feedback. :)

3. Rudra_Rajput

Rudra_Rajput Chieftain

Āryāvarta (Vedic civilization)

Leader-Rama

Symbol

4. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

I had an idea planned on my Civ page for the Vedics. I'll post it here.

However, it was the Kuru kingdom, led by Pariskhit.

It has a Vedic thing though.

5. Rudra_Rajput

Rudra_Rajput Chieftain

Yes but also Āryāvarta("abode of the Aryans/Aryas") is an ancient name mentioned in many scriptures
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%80ry%C4%81varta

ps: its sounds cool :D

6. Natan35

Revising the split:

Shoshone

UA: Snake Indians
    During :c5war: war, civilian and melee units gain +1 :c5moves: movement. Units ignore terrain costs in tiles adjacent to rivers and mountains, and receive a 15% :c5strength: combat bonus in those tiles.

UI: seasonal encampment
    May only be built on plains\grassland tiles. +1 :c5culture: culture, and +1 :c5production: if unit is stationed there. Each 10 turns, the seasonal encampment gives a :c5food: food\ :c5production: production boost equal to ten times the base yield of the tile it was built on. It causes adjacent buffalo\horse tiles do the same. May not be built adjacent to another encampment. +1 :c5food: food if built near a source of fresh water.

UU: Pathfinder
    Replaces scout. May cross mountains, and moves through plains as if they were roads. Has 1 extra :c5strength: combat strength compared to the scout. Gets double :c5gold: gold from pillaging caravans. Costs 150% of the scout's production cost.

Comanche

UA: The great Rides
    Upon becoming improvable, all workable horses and buffalo tiles are claimed and improved by your cities. Horses provide double quantity, and per each horse, a unit is :c5gold: maintenance free.

UU: Raider band
    Replaces lancer. Has 6 :c5moves: movement, and doesn't get the formation promotion. Instead, it gets the charge promotion, and has a :c5strength: combat bonus in enemy territory(15%). Has much lower penalty vs. Cities(15%).

UU: War chief
    Replaces the great general. Units pillaging a tile adjacent to a :c5greatperson: war chief get a 10% :c5war: attack bonus for 5 turns(may stack up to 2 times). Has 1 extra :c5moves: movement.

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Maybe it should be called Wigwam/Wickiup?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigwam

8. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Yeah I usually try and put at least one unique in each of the civs that comes over from the base game, even if comes with a bit of tweaking. The main reason to include them is for those sexy free art assets :lol: Just look at Sweden, each civ gets one firaxis unique. I actually think I'm most proud of Sweden out of all of my civ splits, them and Japan (Who also gets all of Firaxis' bonuses in there somewhere)

9. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Shoshone Split

10. Natan35

Well, I... have no idea well do some of the uniques came from.
    (Also, Comanche split from the Shoshone at 1700. Forge replacement... well, its completely different from the forge, and yet...)
    (Also, what's with the marines\Gatling gun replacements, everyone?)
    (And no chief reference?)

11. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Yeah I'll be honest, I pulled the Bungi Corral and the Gathering tent straight out of my ass. It was originally just corral for the Comanche but I shoved the Shoshone word for horse in there to make it a bit more native American :lol: the Gathering Tree I just got because I noticed that all of the Paiute were named after the food they gathered, and so I figured the guys in charge of the food/the place where all of the food would go were a bit important maybe?

I dun get what you're trying to say about the forge replacement... my Natan-English must be off today. :lol:

As for the Gatling gun replacements... er... I think this is literally my only Gatling gun replacement in my whole civ split set, so I wouldn't consider them particularly prolific, and I've never done a marine replacement. Though I agree, marine replacements in general are both too common and too worthless; Marines are garbage and come way too late for a UU anyway, imo.

And yeah, no chief reference; to me, putting a chief as a UU felt like putting a king UU for say, France. In fact its exactly like that; its really odd and literally all native groups had a chief, so to make it a single UU for a single civ? odd.

12. Firebug

Maybe Spain needs a split too. (Which i might do after i can work my head around the Muscogee Lua)

The Christian kingdoms of Iberia and the Islamic Almohad empire

That researching took ages. 3 posts were made (last time i checked) while i wrote this all up.

13. COF

COF Chieftain

Viregel is making a Spain split.

14. Firebug

OOOOH. I need to keep an eye on for that.

15. Natan35

Only, well, France had kings. The Comanche had war & peace chiefs, something other tribes didn't(if i reckon correctly)

16. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

No, loads of plains and Great Basin indians had peace and war chiefs. France had kings, sure, but it'd be a weird choice for a UU, no?

17. Natan35

Yes. Yes it will be.
    (Emperor for Rome, though :lol:)

18. Panem et Circus

Panem et Circus Chieftain

Hey guys, I am new here, but I have been playing Civ for a while, and I am rather inexperienced when it comes to modding. I am from Panama. Obviously I love my country, and I am an avid player of Civ5. I would love it if someone was able to create a Panama Civilization Mod.

Leader: Belisario Barahon or Esteban Huertas

UA: Pro Mundi Benefici - Whenever a Foreign Ship or Cargo Ship passes through a canal gain a lump sum of 250 Gold. Internal Trade Routes yield 100% more Food and Production.

UI: Canal - May be constructed upon researching Dynamite (either that or Engineering, or some other tech I can't think of at the moment), connects one body of water to another, once connected Ships and Cargo Ships may pass through. Cannot be built next to a river. May only be built in Panamanian territory. Yields 1+ Gold once completed.

UU: Fuerza Pública - Replaces Infantry, stronger but costs more to build with the Promotions Drill (I, II and III) plus a special promotion (Defense of the Homeland) that gives it a 15% defensive boost when fighting within a tile of a Canal.

This is just an idea, feel free to play with it and mold it if you wish. Just tell me if you want to pick it up and I will be happy supply you with facts! :)

19. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Welcome aboard! Good to see more people coming up with ideas for as-yet-untouched civs.

20. Firebug

I had an idea for doing Panama a while back but this is much better.
    Quite hard to code, i'd imagine.