Civilization Request Thread

The Khmer empire! As I'm so unsatisfied with the current designs. Nice, but not historically accurate...

The Khmer Empire(Suryavarman II)
Spoiler :
UA: Power of the Devaraja
Farms built near fresh water have a chance to become Palm Wine, Coconut or Rice plantations. During wonder construction, the :c5food: food yield of plantations and farms adjacent to fresh water is added to the :c5production: production.

UI: Temple mountain
Unlocked at engineering. May be built on grassland and plains tiles with at least one feature, and may not be built near another temple mountain. Yields 1 :c5faith: faith and 1 :c5culture: culture, and an additional point of those yields after researching theology and architecture, respectively. Takes 10 turns to build.

UB: Baray
Replaces aqueduct. The baray carries more food after a new :c5citizen: citizen is born(50% :c5food:), and also increases the :c5food: food from tiles with fresh water by 1. Requires the city to be built near fresh water.

WhatD'ya think? I'll do another design tommorow probably(but I have so much school projects :cry:), with Jayavarman VII.

This thread is called the Civilization REQUEST Thread, so why is it is full of people posting ideas that are stupidly complicated to code and asking for feedback on them. Rather then people posting something simple like "Can someone make a Civilization of the Sassanids" with a brief idea of what it could be based around, its instead a long list of over the top synergies and complex UAs. If you look at most Civ V civs its nothing close to complex. Celts = faith from forest. Assyria = tech from conquering. Austria = purchase city states.

The reason its so downhill is no one is actually REQUESTING, its just
"UA: Complex Idea - Have 50% of Gold to gain +20% culture of the enemy you are at war with if they have over 30 faith and are allies with 15% of the city states in play"
I love the ideas, but that needs to be a separate thread, and my opinion is this thread needs to go back to requests.

Tbh the change from simply "requesting a name" to requesting "a civ with an actual design" was a great improvement for this thread. Really, just go to the first pages of this thread: Modders already knew about the existence of Celts, Byzantines, Mongols and etc. What is the purpose of listing them on a thread? At very least the thread could've aimed to list every single civilization and every period on said civilization history that could be portraied as a civ, instead of repeating the name of the same civilization over and over again

This thread is called the Civilization REQUEST Thread, so why is it is full of people posting ideas that are stupidly complicated to code and asking for feedback on them. Rather then people posting something simple like "Can someone make a Civilization of the Sassanids" with a brief idea of what it could be based around, its instead a long list of over the top synergies and complex UAs. If you look at most Civ V civs its nothing close to complex. Celts = faith from forest. Assyria = tech from conquering. Austria = purchase city states.

"UA: Complex Idea - Have 50% of Gold to gain +20% culture of the enemy you are at war with if they have over 30 faith and are allies with 15% of the city states in play"
I love the ideas, but that needs to be a separate thread, and my opinion is this thread needs to go back to requests.
I agree with this. The first time I read this thread I was confused as to why no one was actually requesting anything. There's a request here every now and then but the posts here are so predominantly designs/feedback that we probably should make a separate thread dedicated to that. I honestly don't know what difference if any that would make but I feel that if we made a thread that's sole purpose was to request feedback on civ designs people would get feedback more frequently than they do here. Of course that's just idealism and idealism tends not to work but it can't hurt to try. I've also only been a member of this forum for a few months now so my opinion on this subject isn't as important as the veterans that post here. I just thought I'd put it out here anyway because I would like to get criticism regarding some of my designs sometimes and I feel bad when people's designs here get ignored.

Well, people do request things: designs. That they have become complicated may be a result of Scotty's and my ideals for civ designs. Oh, and maybe also because most of the vanilla civs are very, very boring.

Also, this thread has been like this all the time since I started posting. If it wasn't like this, this thread would have been even more boring than it is now.

Oh, and also:

A good design can actually motivate a modder to make the requested civ. Like, if someone just wrote:
"Modern Japan" I wouldn't have picked the civ up together with OW.
However Urdnott_Scott's design simply was so amazing to the point where I had to work on it.

Hey, I sometimes like to browse the designs proposed here (especially Urdnott's, because they're easy to find via his signature) for inspiration on a focus, or on uniques.

I think that the concept should be simple enough that you can easily grasp at it without needing to go completely overboard and that the Civ should stick to it, but we can't have something stupid.

Personally, one of the better examples of this is JFD's Meiji.

First, it features a very simple concept: increased development during Golden Ages, since that's pretty much what Mutsuhito did, and a minor focus on Military. The UA is very simple (Production and Culture are doubled during Golden Ages, Military Units trained during Golden Ages start with +15 XP).

Then, the Daiymo also works towards Military Progress and progress in general - ability to create a Golden Age and increased Military Production and XP in the city it's garrisoned - tie in brillitantly.

The last thing is the Mikasa, which has a good defensive bonus, but the catch here is that it provides Golden Age points when being built.

Essentially, this is a very simple Civ - I don't think anyone will deny that - that just works brilliantly because of how simple it is. It's not overly complex and represents well. The concept is very understandable at first and makes sense.

The Civ UAs are boring, but they are simple and effective.

At this point I don't know if I'm gonna be cast by my own stone, but sometimes I think we are too focused in creating something unique and new and innovative. That's just not how we're going to get anything done in the first place.

Maybe a little more "foot in the ground" concepts would be nice.

Oddly enough, despite the existance of this "request" thread, more often than not people will post a request directly in a modder's thread. For JFD specifically, that's after numerous announcements that he's not really interested in taking on any new projects other than what he already has on his to-do list.

Honestly I skip most of the "foot in the ground" concepts because they seem boring. If I were ever to do a civ requested here, it would probably be one from Urdnot_Scott.

full of people

Yeah.... Full of people.....
I'm officially ignored by everyone. Seriously, feedback? Modde rwants to take this? (that could fit LITE, or monarchists like JFD)
Maybe if I throw some controversial words I'll get a
Urdnot_Scott said:
oh god pls no
Again....
What walrus said 2

Yeah.... Full of people.....
I'm officially ignored by everyone. Seriously, feedback? Modde rwants to take this? (that could fit LITE, or monarchists like JFD)
Maybe if I throw some controversial words I'll get a

Again....
What walrus said 2

Huh? What's happening?

What I mean is not so much as trying to tie in three concepts at once and completely failing. What I mean is going for something that is actually achievable and focus on a main concept and a secondary concept. For example, JFD's Scotland has a focus on Great Works of Writing and Golden Ages, which is very simple and very interesting. It's not juggling too many concepts at once. That's what makes it good.

I don't know, perhaps I'm just rambling.

Like what I did. Look at the top of the page modders!

Oof I didn't realise I was such a celebrity around here guys ;)

Maybe there should be a separate 'Design and Discussion' thread? A place to post the ideas you have and discuss others. Where you can get feedback and talk about what makes for good design rather than what this thread has become which is just spamming designs with no intention of creating good ones or talking about them at all. I'd much rather continue my splits there since the general atmosphere here lately is somewhat discouraging and I'd hate to give up not even halfway through the split oddysey - not least now that I know people are more interested than I thought.

The only reason I used this thread was because I DO want to see some of these designs someday. Probably not all of them owing to the complexity of some but splits like my Egypt, Japan and Greece make me proud and I hope one day someone will help me bring them to life - it's not just a place for me to dump ideas and say 'look at mee!'. Hence why this isn't just a place for requesting civs in the strictest sense.

I agree with ZH there. Look at the first few pages of this thread. Does anyone really think JFD or whatever is going to stumble on this thread and go 'oh wow Byzantium I'd never have even noticed that, thanks civ request thread!'

also firebug I did give you feedback and you didn't seem to notice so...

Oof I didn't realise I was such a celebrity around here guys ;)

Maybe there should be a separate 'Design and Discussion' thread? A place to post the ideas you have and discuss others. Where you can get feedback and talk about what makes for good design rather than what this thread has become which is just spamming designs with no intention of creating good ones or talking about them at all. I'd much rather continue my splits there since the general atmosphere here lately is somewhat discouraging and I'd hate to give up not even halfway through the split oddysey - not least now that I know people are more interested than I thought.

Only too fitting, then, for you to start one.

Hmm... maybe that's where I should dump the leftovers of the design archive?

I actually really like that UA. Damn. I want to throw Djoser into my Egypt split now, so that someone can steal that in principle.

Djoser would be great, but would need something related to Great Engineers (Imhotep).

Top Bottom