Civilization Request Thread

Good lord.

And I can only get to roughly 5 Brazils historically speaking...

Nevertheless, I asked for feedback on the Normandy I made in last page and I only got one person worth of feedback.

And that makes me sad.

Sorry, always intended to, but forgot in the end:

More critique (this time, revamped Normandy) plox?

William the Bastard, Normandy

UA: From Duke to King: Units recieve a bonus outside friendly lands. Defensive Buildings provide +1 Happiness and +5 XP. Free Walls in captured Cities.

UU: Conroy: Knight replacement. Available at Civil Service. Has an unique promotion, "Norse Blood", that gives it +50% Strength while attacking, +30% while adjacent to an unit and +1 Movement.

UI: Motte and Bailey: Can only be built on hills. Available at Masonry. +1 Food, +2 Gold. Goes up to +2 Food and +4 Gold once Chivalry is researched..

The foreign lands bonus is very fitting for Normandy, good stuff. I also like the last part. The middle, however... I can't put my finger on it, but something about it bugs me.

The UU is waaay too powerful. Better be toned down.

The UI is ok.

The only thing is strictly dislike is the UU.

Pshh - you guys are all splitting up European nation states which are already in nice little packages. Think how many civs I can get out of the 'Arab' civ firaxis has cobbled together!

I mean... Nabatea, Palmyra, Kindites, Himyar, Sheba, Gassanids, Rashidun, Ummayyad, Abbassid, Fatimid, Gaznavid, Ayyubid, Cordoba, Idrisids, Omanis, Hejazis, Bahrain, Trucial States, Hafsids, Almohads, Almoravids, Zirids, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Syria, First, second and third Saudi States, Mamluks, ISIS, Iraq, the UAE, Barbary Pirates, Sicily, Palestine, Lebanon and Yemen.

All of those could rightfully have civs of their own, I think.

Aaanyway...

Normandy! I like the UA but I think it should be reworded as:
"Defensive buildings are automatically constructed upon capturing an enemy city and provide +1 :c5happy: happiness and +5 :c5war: xp to trained units. Units receive a :c5strength: combat bonus outside of friendly lands."
Coz I think it just flows a bit nicer. But that's just me.

The UI is good enough but I don't think it represents why Motte-and-Baileys were actually constructed. The lack of a defensive bonus is very odd for one thing.
The UU is, as ZH points out, way overpowered.

Pshh - you guys are all splitting up European nation states which are already in nice little packages. Think how many civs I can get out of the 'Arab' civ firaxis has cobbled together!

I mean... Nabatea, Palmyra, Kindites, Himyar, Sheba, Gassanids, Rashidun, Ummayyad, Abbassid, Fatimid, Gaznavid, Ayyubid, Cordoba, Idrisids, Omanis, Hejazis, Bahrain, Trucial States, Hafsids, Almohads, Almoravids, Zirids, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Syria, First, second and third Saudi States, Mamluks, ISIS, Iraq, the UAE, Barbary Pirates, Sicily, Palestine, Lebanon and Yemen.

Aaanyway...

"Defensive buildings are automatically constructed upon capturing an enemy city and provide +1 :c5happy: happiness and +5 :c5war: xp to trained units. Units receive a :c5strength: combat bonus outside of friendly lands."

The UI is good enough but I don't think it represents why Motte-and-Baileys were actually constructed. The lack of a defensive bonus is very odd for one thing.

Heh, it's actually coded as working like a Fort but I forgot to add it here.

I suppose taking the attack bonus could work?

Still too powerful, imo. That's the primary bonus of the Comanche rider plus double the discipline policy. If you went honour you'd have +45% strength adjacent to another unit.

Hmm... What can I change in it and how can I change it...

Hm...

Catherine, Peter, Nicholas, Lenin, Stalin, Nevsky, Ivan IV, Putin, Alexander II, Rurik, Boris Godunav, Vladimir the Great, Paul I. Hah-hah - beat that :p

Ok, well, you did, but still.

I can beat that too!
(Also JFD, you are a spammer :p)

Hmm... What can I change in it and how can I change it...

I quite liked the bonus I suggested, increased bonuses when adjacent to an injured enemy. I'm not sure how doable that is though - I just assumed it'd be possible because of the cossack. I think it represents fairly well how the Normans were unable to get through the Anglo-Saxon lines until the started to break and then the cavalries speed, ferocity and general norse-ness started to come into play.

It is very possible, actually. It's essentially what Charge does.

Wahey, I'd reccommend that then.

Aaanyway...

You mention many non arabic civs.
Also, England isn't all about the Normans...

So! Babylon hath returned!

Spoiler Babylon split :
The Kingdom of Babylon

Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi
Receive a lump sum of :c5culture: Culture when you sign a Peace Treaty. Gain :c5gold: Gold every time a trade unit ends its turn on your territory, based on how many Ancient era :c5culture: Social Policies you have adopted.

Bekhrum
Receives XP when in your territory at the same time as a trade unit, unlike the Spearman it replaces.

Asumittu
Provides a lump sum of :c5goldenage: Golden Age points when you adopt a :c5culture: Social Policy, unlike the Monument it replaces. This bonus is increased if built in a conquered city.

The Kingdom of Babylon

Nebuchadnezzar I

Gateway of the Gods
Receive a free Great Prophet the first time you capture a non-City-State original :c5capital: Capital. If you control a Holy City, every city celebrating ‘We Love the King Day’ increases global :c5faith: Faith output by +10% (up to +50%).

Nas Qasti
Earns :c5faith: Faith from attacking, unlike the Archer it replaces.

Ayyakku
Makes the city enter a ‘We Love the King Day’ when a Great Prophet is expended, if it follows your major religion, unlike the Temple it replaces.

The Kingdom of Babylon

Nabonassar

Astronomical Diaries
Receive a free :c5greatperson: Chaldean when you discover Calendar. :c5greatperson: Chaldean generation is increased by +10% for every enemy unit in Babylonian territory (up to +100%).

Chaldean
May once build a Star Catalogue in a city, yielding a large amount of :c5science: Science, unlike the :c5greatperson: Great Scientist it replaces. Provides 25% more :c5science: Science when using the ‘Boost Science’ ability before the Medieval era.

Madgulu
Yields +5 :c5science: Science, unlike the Library it replaces. Has a Scientist slot. Unlocked with Optics rather than Writing.

The Kingdom of Babylon

Nebuchadnezzar II

City of Cities
Wonder :c5production: Production in the :c5capital: Capital is increased by +5% for every enemy city controlled, increased to +10% for Holy Cities (up to +50%). Receive a free Engineer slot in the :c5capital: Capital upon discovering Mathematics. +2 :c5production: Production from Engineers.

Nappilu
Is a strong melee unit, rather than a ranged, and may only attack cities, unlike the Catapult it replaces. If it captures a city, it allows the choice between rebuilding some Buildings destroyed during the capture, or providing a small :c5food: Food and :c5production: Production boost in your :c5capital: Capital.

Amuhhu
Increases :c5food: Food in the :c5capital: Capital by +5% (up to +30%), unlike the Walls it replaces.

...and Merodach-Baladan!

The Kingdom of Babylon

Merodach-Baladan

Thorn of Assyria
Units receive +5% :c5strength: Combat Strength for every city you’ve liberated at least once (up to +30%). Receive an :c5influence: Influence boost with all known City-States upon liberating a city.

Baranu
Increases the Combat Strength of a Friendly or Allied City-State by +50% when stationed in its territory, and receives a +20% Combat Bonus itself when in the territory of a Friendly or Allied City-State, unlike the Spearman it replaces.

Sealander
Receives +20% :c5strength: Combat Strength and ignores terrain costs when next to rivers, unlike the Swordsman it replaces.
Now on to Rome!

Here we go:

Spoiler Rome split :

The Republic of Rome

Gaius Marius

Marian Reforms
Adopting a :c5culture: Social Policy spawns a military unit for every 10 XP units trained in the :c5capital: Capital start with (up to 5 units). Units in the :c5capital: Capital start with +1 XP for every XP building in other cities.

Legionary
Stronger than the Swordsman it replaces. Receives +5% :c5strength: Combat Strength for every level it has upgraded to (up to +20%).

Arena
Provides +10 XP to newly trained units in the city, unlike the Colosseum it replaces. Units garrisoned in the city may perform a Gladiatorial Battle, providing :c5culture: Culture based on their XP, but possibly disbanding them.

The Republic of Rome

Caesar

Veni, Vidi, Vici!
All cities enter ‘We Love the King Day’ upon the capture of a city. Cities celebrating ‘We Love the King Day’ provide 25% less :c5angry: Unhappiness.

Centurion
Automatically builds certain Buildings when garrisoned in a city, unlike the Great General it replaces. This is done immediately if the city is celebrating ‘We Love the King Day’.

Castrum
Increases the HP and :c5strength: Combat Strength of the city, unlike the Barracks it replaces. Deals damage to enemy units within three tiles of the city when celebrating ‘We Love the King Day’.

The Empire of Rome

Augustus

All Roads Lead to Rome
Military units may build Roads and Forts and receive XP for every turn stationed on Forts (up to 30 XP). Conquered cities :c5trade: Connected to the :c5capital: Capital suffer no :c5angry: Unhappiness from :c5occupied: Occupation.

Praetorian
Increases :c5production: Production towards Buildings that already exist in the :c5capital: Capital by +25% in a city it’s garrisoned in if it's :c5trade: Connected to it, unlike the Swordsman it replaces.

Thermae
Increases :c5food: Food in the city by +20% if :c5trade: Connected to the Capital, unlike the Aqueduct it replaces.

The Empire of Rome

Trajan

Optimus Princeps
Capturing a city during a :c5goldenage: Golden Age extends the length of that :c5goldenage: Golden Age by 2 turns. Building :c5production: Production is increased by +5% upon signing a Peace Treaty for every :c5goldenage: Golden Age turn during the war (up to +30%). The bonus is reset upon declaring war.

Ballista
Does not require to be set up before attacking, unlike the Catapult it replaces. Slightly stronger.

Triumphal Arch
Removes :c5angry: Unhappiness from :c5occupied: Occupation, unlike the Monument it replaces. Costs more :c5gold: Gold in maintenance, but provides a lump sum of :c5goldenage: Golden Age points upon construction.

The Empire of Rome

Constantine

One Empire, Under God
May spend :c5faith: Faith to make cities following the Religion of your Capital Archdioceses*. The first two cities become Archdioceses upon being converted to a Religion.

Comitatenses
Earns :c5faith: Faith from kills, and a combat bonus (+30%) against heathen civs if trained in an Archdiocese, unlike the Pikeman it replaces. Available earlier, but is also weaker.

Ecclesia
Provides a lump sum of :c5faith: Faith when a city is converted to the Religion of your Archdioceses, unlike the Temple it replaces.

Spoiler :
*Archdioceses always follow the same religion as the Capital and have a +25% boost towards Faith generation. Archdioceses that aren't the Capital also count as a Capital for all purposes aside from Domination victory. Missionaries bought in Archdioceses may spread Religion an additional time.

The Empire of Rome

Theodosius

Dual Nature
May spend :c5culture: Culture to Remove Heresy in a city, or turn nearby Barbarian Encampments into Foederati*. Barbarian Encampments occasionally migrate closer to your cities.

Laetus
Does not require Iron, unlike the Swordsman it replaces. Receives +15% :c5strength: Combat Strength when next to Barbarian Encampments or Foederati.

Basilica
Increases :c5culture: Culture in the city by +50% if it follows your major Religion, unlike the Temple it replaces.

Spoiler :
*Foederati is an Improvement that occasionally spawns Roman military units.

So I stole used some of Urdnot_Scott's designs. I hope that is ok.

And part 2:

Spoiler Rome split continued :
The Empire of Rome

Nero

Fiddling in the Fire
:c5gold: Gold and :c5production: Production cost of buildings decreased by -15%. Military units may Remove Heresy once. Gain 1 :c5happy: Happiness for every 10 heretics removed (up to 10 :c5happy: Happiness).

Auxilia
Costs no :c5gold: Gold in maintenance, unlike the Horseman it replaces. Has no penalty against cities, but also has 1 less :c5moves: Movement. Provides 1 :c5happy: Happiness when garrisoned in a city for every building ever sold in it (up to 5 :c5happy: Happiness).

Theater
Provides :c5culture: Culture whenever Heresy is Removed, unlike the Amphitheater it replaces.

The Empire of Rome

Marcus Aurelius

Stoicism
Military units outside of friendly territory yield :c5greatperson: Great Writer points starting with Philosophy.

Milites
Gains a combat bonus (+20%) outside of friendly territory, unlike the Swordsman it replaces.

Roman Circus
Does not require any resources, unlike the Circus it replaces. Has a :greatwork: Great Work of Writing slot that provides :c5happy: Happiness when filled.

Maybe it was different under Theodosius, but a basilica wasn't a religious building in ancient Rome; rather a part of a public forum. However, Theodosius is so late in the empire's timeline that one's connotations of traditional Rome have probably expired. Still worth mentioning. For me, I hope to make the Basilica Augustus' UB.

1 unit for every 5 XP might be a bit to much 10 XP would probably be more balanced. Also no reference to Marius'mules? Culture from the basilica should probably be reduced to +25%. The name for Nero's UA should be changed since he didn't burn down Rome and fiddles had yet to be invented.

A spammer you are walrus. Also, England soon I will split again!

(Yoda I am, speak weird I)

1 unit for every 5 XP might be a bit to much 10 XP would probably be more balanced.

Probably.

Also no reference to Marius'mules?

What is that, then?

Culture from the basilica should probably be reduced to +25%.

Maybe, although I'm not entirely convinced.

The name for Nero's UA should be changed since he didn't burn down Rome and fiddles had yet to be invented.

It is a reference to the saying "Fiddling while Rome burns". I won't change it. :p

Top Bottom